Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jazz Scene Dublin City FM 103.2 Mondays 2PM

Options
  • 13-01-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

From Monday 17th.January I will be presenting and producing Jazz Scene on Dublin City FM 103.2 from 2 to 3PM.

Jazz Scene will look at many aspects of jazz as regards differing genres with the first show devoted to British Trad Jazz of the 1950's and 1960's.

Future broadcasts will feature output from Blue Note and Verve together with many of the great independent jazz labels. Irish jazz won't be ignored either as I hope to include material from all the main players and occasionally have all Irish editions. Concert updates for the Dublin area will feature as much as possible.

If you have any suggestions, dedications or gig information I would be delighted to hear from you at jazzybrophy@gmail.com or in writing to:

Sean Brophy
    Jazz Scene
    Dublin City FM
    128 East Wall Road
    Dublin 3.

Play list information will be posted at www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

Happy New Year
    Sean Brophy Producer / Presenter Jazz Scene Mondays from 2PM on Dublin City FM 103.2 or online www.dublincityfm.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Might I suggest you reconsider your slot as you'll be clashing with the JK Ensemble on Lyric?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Hermy wrote: »
    Might I suggest you reconsider your slot as you'll be clashing with the JK Ensemble on Lyric?

Thanks for the reminder but the station schedule is not determined by myself. As John's show is not exclusively jazz I still expect to be joined by afficianados incl.yourself Hermy.

On next Monday 24th.January on www.dublincityfm.ie from 2PM you will hear two tracks from Russell Malones first trio CD Triple Play on Max Jazz. Sarah Vaughan will supply a vocal and excellent jazz also from Sweden, Australia and The Netherlands.

Hope to see you there and please keep in touch by email : jazzybrophy@gmail.com

Play lists at www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for the reply Sean. I'll do my best to tune in.

Could I also asked whatever happened to Mick Murray?
    I think I read somewhere that he had been ill

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Future broadcasts will feature output from Blue Note and Verve together with many of the great independent jazz labels.

I have my doubts ( hopefully I am wrong ) that any of these great, but small independant jazz labels (listed below ) will be featured. Apart from actually being "featured", will one track from any of these labels be played ? My guess is that it will be more of the "same oul', same oul'".

Go on !! Make my day, prove me wrong. ;)

ESP THRILL JOCKEY EMANEM & PSI
    AUM FIDELITY BLACK SAINT CUNEIFORM
    TZADIK EREMITE FMP
    CLEANFEED WINTER & WINTER

On Monday 31st.January all Blue Note selections. The first independent record label featured ( perhaps the following week ) will be Basho Records from London. Will look into Rigsby's ideas and do what I can.

Sean
    Jazz Scene Dublin City FM 103.2 Mondays 2PM Irish time

www.dublincityfm.ie

• Advertisement

On Monday 31st.January all Blue Note selections. Included in the line-up tomorrow will be Jimmy Smith, Horace Silver, Kenny Burrell & Hank Mobley. Also a unique version of The Beatles Hello Goodbye with Bud Shank & Chet Baker.
    Play list will be posted on www.jazzspec.blogspot.com in due course.

Sean
    Jazz Scene Dublin City FM 103.2 Mondays 2PM Irish time

www.dublincityfm.ie

Next Monday the selection will include two tracks from The Ray Preston Quartet debut album creatively titled Hip! Who? Ray!

Stephane Grapelli, Dexter Gordon, Bill Doggett and Acker Bilk will also be on hand.

Can you make it too??

Jazz Scene Dublin City FM 103.2 Mondays from 2PM

www.dublincityfm.ie

Another tribute to an independent jazz label on Jazz Scene of 14th.Fenbruary 2011.

Alternate tracks for the Basho Label and including artists such as pianist Nikke Iles, Martin Speake, Alec Dankworth ( son the the late Johnny Dankworth ) and Tim Laphorn.

Also some Irish jazz stars e.g. Justin Carroll's Togetherness and Zrazy.

Jazz Scene Mondays Dublin City FM 103.2 2 to 3PM

Play lists : www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

Email : jazzybrophy@gmail.com

Play lists posted at www.jazzspec.blogspot.com
    If you can join me on Monday 21st.February 2011 you will hear from Tina May, Violetta, Nina Simone ( by request ) and Colette Henry.

So much for the ladies I will also hope to squeeze in Joseph Daley, Kim Waters and Bruce Cockburn.

Email jazzybrophy@gmail.com with comments, dedications etc.

Sean Brophy
    Jazz Scene Mondays at 2PM on Dublin City FM 103.2

What is on Jazz Scene Monday 28th.January 2011????

Some great artists as per usual - that is a promise! Worth voting No. 1 for!

Dave Brubeck - Maria Tecce - Mel Torme - Tina May plus new albums from Bruce Cockburn and Delfeayo Marsalis.

Jazz Scene Mondays at 2PM on
    www.dublincityfm.ie or on 103.2 FM around Dublin.

• Advertisement

Hello Again
    Jazz Scene on next Monday at 2PM on Dublin City FM 103.2 will include two tracks from Mike Nielsen's Quartet soon to be launched CD Acoustic Sound Recipes. The launch is at The Kevin Barry room at the National Concert Hall on Friday 18th.March. www.nch.ie The Mike Nielsen Quartet formed in 2010 and had a very positive experience at the 2010 Cork Jazz Festival weekend last October.

Other artists to entertain us on Monday include Abdullah Ibrahim, Klas Toresson ( from Sweden ), Mary Coughlan, Michiel Borstlap and John Scofield.

Jazz Scene
    Dublin City FM
    128 East Wall Road
    Dublin 3.

Hello
    Hope you are all well.
    Todays show at 2PM includes music from The Mike Nielsen Quartet CD Acoustic Sound Recipes which launches at The Kevin Barry Room at The National Concert Hall Fri.19th.March at 8PM and The Model Centre Sligo Sat.20th.March also at 8PM

Other musical contributions ( PG ) from Kenny Wheeler, Sean Hession, Louis Stewart, Fulvio Sigurta ( House Of Cards CD on CamJazz ) and Tom Waits.

Jazz Scene today looks at some Irish jazz - if you have any late suggestions please email jazzybrophy@gmail.com or text 086 2080356.

Hello
    On the show for broadcast on Monday 4th.April on Dublin City FM 103.2
    ( www.dublincityfm.ie ) Colette Henry is guesting in promotion of her debut CD for launch next week.
    Colette will talk about her life in music and musical composition, will select some artists who influenced her and also include some tracks for her inaugural release.

Should you any questions for Colette please email : jazzybrophy@gmail.com

www.colette.ie

Playlists at www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

Thanks

Sean Brophy
    Jazz Scene
    Dublin City FM Mondays 2 to 3PM

Daniel Jacobson of Diatribe Records joins me on Monday 11th.April from 2PM on www.dublincityfm.ie as he talks of his life in music.
    He will select some tracks that have inspired him and will talk about Diatribe and the challenges involved in distribution etc.
    www.diatribe.ie

Play list www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

www.dublincityfm.ie on line or on 103.2 FM around Dublin.

Jazz Scene Mondays 2PM

Hello All
    I wangled two Mondays off due to Bank Holidays and had a great vacation in the USA with access to a great Jazz Station at 89.9 around Orlando.

Jazz Scene, with some American ideas, is back on Monday 9th.May with great jazz from, among others, Lasse Lingren, Poncho Sanchez, Lee Konitz, Chet Baker and The Bill Evans Trio. Also a great jazz version of the Buffalo Springfield hit For What It's Worth from Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66.

Hope you can join me.

Comments etc. please email : jazzybrophy@gmail.com or visit www.dublincityfm.ie go to FORUMS - MUSIC SHOWS - JAZZORAMA

Jazz Scene Monday 30th.May at 2PM www.dublincityfm.ie
    Music from Al Cohn / Zoot Sims Quintet, Smooth Jazz Supremo Bob Baldwin, Chick Corea, Sarah Vaughan plus others. Full play list at www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

No Jazz Scene on Monday 6th.June due to Irish bank holiday.
    Back on 13th.June - details to follow.

Have a great weekend!

Sean Brophy
    Jazz Scene most Mondays 2PM Dublin City FM 103.2 online www.dublincityfm.ie

Play list information : www.jazzscene.blogspot.com

Hello
    Virtuoso pianist So Young Yoon appears at the National Concert Hall John Field Room on Tuesday 14th.June and, in advance of this date, isdropping into Jazz Scene on Monday 13th.June from 2PM on Dublin City FM 103.2
    So Young Yoon is from Korea but has lived in Dublin for just over 8 years. She will select the music, including some of her own material marked for release later in 2011, and talk about her musical adventures to date.

Hope you can join us on Monday 13th.June from 2PM.
    Play list will be posted ASAP at www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

Cheers

Sean Brophy

Jazz Scene Mondays 2PM Dublin City FM 103.2

Edel Meade guests on Jazz Scene Monday 20th.June at 2PM on Dublin City FM 103.2 where she will select the music and talk about her life and times in the jazz world.
    Regards
    Sean Brophy
    Jazz Scene Mondays 2PM www.dublincityfm.ie

:cool:

• Advertisement

Remembering the late Roger Nichols who engineered much of Steely Dan's recorded output. A track from Steely Dan and The Nightfly from Donald Fagen's solo album of the same name

Also tracks from Houston Person, Django Rheinhardt and George Shearing plus others. See www.jazzspec.blogspot.com for full listing.

Jazz Scene Mondays 2PM www.dublincityfm.ie

Cian Boylan is the guest on Monday 4th.July in promotion of his 12th. July Ellington concert at Dublin's National Concert Hall www.nch.ie

Expect plenty of great conversation and Duke Ellington tracks.

Email jazzybrophy@gmail.com

Play lists will be posted to www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

Hello
    On edition Monday 11th. July 2011 at 2PM on Dublin City FM 103.2 music from Jazz Crusaders, Michael Buble, Kymaera, Wayne Wallace Latin Jazz Quintet, Steely Dan and Clare Teal. Full list at www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

Monday 18th.July at 2PM www.dublincityfm.ie and Jazz Scene features some fine examples from the British Trad Jazz Scene of the 1950's mainly.
    Music from George Melly, Terry Lightfoot, Clyde Valley Stompers, Chris Barber plus others. Hope you can join me!

Jazz Scene Mondays 2PM Dublin City FM 103.2

Email: jazzybrophy@gmail.com

Postal address:
    Sean Brophy
    Jazz Scene
    Dublin City FM
    128 East Wall Road
    Dublin 3.

I am very pleased to have Riona Sally Hartman guesting on the show for broadcast on Monday 25th.July 2011 at 2PM Riona Sally will select all the music and talk about many aspects of her life in performmance and songwriting. Sami Moukaddem, Zrazy and Sarah Buechi are among her music picks.
    www.rionasallyhartman.com for more details

A mixture of Jazz Blues Soul and other genres as I present Monday Music Miscellany next Monday 1st. August on www.dublincityfm.ie
    from 8 to 11.00AM
    Should you have any musical suggestions they would be gratefully received at : midweekmusic@dublincityfm.ie

Many thanks!

Monday Music Miscellany is a special as replacement for regular programming given that Monday 1st. August 2011 is a bank holiday.

Play list tofollow on www.jazzspec.blogspot.com ASAP after broadcast.

Cheers

Sean Brophy Monday Music Miscellany 8 to 11.00AM

More great jazz at 2PM on Dublin City FM 103.2 or online www.dublincityfm.ie

Play list to follow on www.jazzspec.blogspot.com

Cheers
    Sean Brophy
    Producer / Presenter Jazz Scene Mondays 2pm

Trumpet player Bill Blackmore joins me on Jazz Scene Monday 12th.September 2011 and, among other things, will talk about his upcoming tribute to Dizzy Gillespie which takes place on Tuesday 20th.September at The John Field Room in the National Concert Hall.
    www.nch.ie for more details.

Bill will also select the music so I assume that Dizzy plus other great trumpeters will feature.

Hope you can join us at www.dublincityfm.ie on Monday 12th.September from 2 to 3PM

The penultimate edition of Jazz Scene under my stewartship airs on Monday 19th.September at 2PM on Dublin City FM 103.2 Online www.dublincityfm.ie

Music from Mark McKnight's new CD Do Or Die plus Beady Belle, Roy Hargrove, Julian Lage Group, Gil Evans plus more.

www.markmcknight.co.uk for details re album launch and Dublin date 24th.September.

www.guinnessjazzfestival.com for info.re Cork Jazz Festival on the October holiday weekend.

www.jjsmyths.com re jazz events at the premier Dublin live jazz venue

www.nch.ie for details re Bill Blackmore band concert on Tuesday 20th.September celebrating Dizzy Gillespie

• Advertisement

When I started presenting, as a stand in, Jazz Scene on 17th.January 2011 I knew that eventually the regular compere would return.

I will, therefore, be chairing my last Jazz Scene on Monday 26th.September 2011 at 2PM online www.dublincityfm.ie or Dublin City FM 103.2 around Dublin.

An Irish edition beckons with tracks from Siobhan Pettit, Jason O'Callaghan, Tom O'Hare with Gunther Fischer, Grainne Brookfield and others. Hope you can make it from 2PM Monday next.

www.jazzspec.blogspot.com for playlists of this and other shows I present.

Thanks for all your support during the last nine months. Now for a pregnant pause.

Sean Brophy
    jazzybrophy@gmail.com

Advertisement