Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I haven't encountered any delays myself (coming in on the North Circular Rd), either they're approaching from the south or they're getting a taste of Dublin traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

can you drive a tractor on the m50? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

German and Dutch farmers have been doing similar protest recently
    Have they been successful? As stated earlier this one seems to be a hodge podge of unconnected demands. The M50 threat is beyond stupid and won't win any friends nor support.

No harm

Softly softly has got the farmers and rural Ireland fcuk all

Sorry but there’s unreal anger out there.

It needs to be adequately addressed.

Acting angrily just means postponing the adult part of the conversation and everyone else sits on the moral high ground until people stop venting like intemperate children.

can you drive a tractor on the m50? :D

Hopefully, I could do with a day off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    doubt it, protests nowadays seem to entrench people

They're also a dime a dozen. Hard to give a fiddlers when it's something else every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Omackeral wrote: »
    They're also a dime a dozen. Hard to give a fiddlers when it's something else every other week.

you d have to ask, why is there so many protests!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

People in dublin are living in a bubble. Maybe they will wake up if they are disrupted a bit.

Again as you seemed to have missed it earlier...what should we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Although I support them, social media does seem to be making protesting worst all sort of demands get tacked on to the main issue cranks with minor or obscure demands get tagged on the issue, those who want to vent at the government get tagged on to the protest.

Its happening everywhere and may be linked to ideas about the supposed end of democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Too late to cancel the broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

People in dublin are living in a bubble. Maybe they will wake up if they are disrupted a bit.

People in Dublin are keeping most of the country afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Collie D wrote: »
    Again as you seemed to have missed it earlier...what should we do?

Come out and support the protest is what ppl should do

There's generally one of some form outside the Dail almost every day. It's called democracy and freedom of speech Anyone with an axe to grind can protest and usually does.

What would that do, does the government really have the power to force the main meat company to pay more or operate in a different way.

Remember we live in a free capitalist( sort of ) of society any interference fro the government and the produces would be straight to the courts.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There's generally one of some form outside the Dail almost every day. It's called democracy and freedom of speech Anyone with an axe to grind can protest and usually does.

something is going wrong though, there does seem to be a growing number of protests now

Not including this one as such but there's definitely a few constants in various protests in Dublin City in recent times.

-Same people involved no matter what.

-Hijacking for their own means.

-Professional protesters who'd rather cause disturbances than actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mariaalice wrote: »
    What would that do, does the government really have the power to force the main meat company to pay more or operate in a different way.

Remember we live in a free capitalist( sort of ) of society any interference fro the government and the produces would be straight to the courts.

They should look for us to leave the EU if they want that level of market control.

free market! i think not!

People need to work and go to school

something is going wrong though, there does seem to be a growing number of protests now
    I really don't think so. The big ones just get highlighted more. Social media does magnify things especially the "anger".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

they're going to make loads of friends by making people an hour late home in the evenings :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have more important **** to do. Also I don’t have a tractor. Also I don’t see the point. What would the end result be? Are you there?

It a form of entertainment watching the various protesters outside the Dail.

Get worried if we see any sort of daft left joining the Farmers the water protester did not lead the revolution maybe the farmers will.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I really don't think so. The big ones just get highlighted more. Social media does magnify things especially the "anger".

oh i think so, what we re witnessing is monopolization of our economies, and this is one of its outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I cannot be sure I'd agree with all their positions (if they have an agreed platform), but in this country if you don't protest, you're stepped on / ignored, like PAYE workers. There were PAYE protests in the past. Maybe it could be done again? Protests don't always achieve things immediately, but it can make politicians far more cautious.

It a form of entertainment watching the various protesters outside the Dail.

Get worried if we see any sort of daft left joining the Farmers the water protester did not lead the revolution maybe the farmers will.
    Nah, they'd just split instantly over what the revolution was!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Nice to see Irish people every now and then make a stand for what they believe in. This country is ran so poorly for long and what do we do about ....nothing just get up go to work pay taxes on everything and then go home to watch the news and how our taxes are been wasted.
    It's not the government that's to blame it's us as a people because we take all this **** and say or do nothing. I mean what kind of people are we that looks at loved ones lying on a trolley in a corridor , lets people die over religious beliefs, has a generation now that will not be able to buy a home, have families living in hotel rooms or worse on the streets, I could go on and all this will go until we all get up like these farmers and say enough is enough we want change.
    Sorry for my rant but it seems our country is broken.

oh i think so, what we re witnessing is monopolization of our economies, and this is one of its outcomes
    It really isn't. Most protests are around abortion and suchlike thing with a peppering of unknown local issues and then the usual suspects do get a run out about once a month over something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

To ppl saying they have work/lives so can’t go and join the protest

What the hell do you think the farmers are doing-do you think this is all for the craic and a lark trip to dublin ?

Ppl are so so so so frustrated

Mixed with sheer anger

This protest is a result of that.

I wish it had been addressed by the minister and his govt but no.

Rural Ireland has had to take its grievances to central dublin and they should be addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Collie D wrote: »
    Have more important **** to do. Also I don’t have a tractor. Also I don’t see the point. What would the end result be? Are you there?

Ah stop this was the lad that was an ardent supporter of the recent Extinction Rebellion protests in Dublin but wouldn't take a day off to show his support. He's a wind up merchant in my opinion.

Advertisement