Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Black Friday - Chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

The starter pack will have a hub in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I may have gone back and got the pack of bulbs that work with the echo without a hub :D Although I’m counting that as a necessity as I have mobility issues and it’s a struggle to be getting out of bed to turn off the light. Definitely done now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

20% off warehouse is live.. worth looking at.

PS4 pro by itself £309. PS4 pro with RDR2 £339. I'm after picking up a 'like new' RDR2 bundle for £230

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So how do these smart bulbs work ?

Do they replace the non smart bulbs in your house and you dont use your physical light switches anymore ??

The hub is plugged in and the lightbulb automatically picks it up and you can control with alexa etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

firestick 4k wont post to ireland . why is that ?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

Do they replace the non smart bulbs in your house and you dont use your physical light switches anymore ??

The hub is plugged in and the lightbulb automatically picks it up and you can control with alexa etc

Replace them with normal ones yes (check fittings as 3 options are available), can be controlled via wifi or the newer version (not the 70£ deal) either on wifi/Bluetooth.

You're right about the hub/control

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

cefh17 wrote: »
    Replace them with normal ones yes (check fittings as 3 options are available), can be controlled via wifi or the newer version (not the 70£ deal) either on wifi/Bluetooth.

You're right about the hub/control

Would the hub need to be in the same room as the bulb ??. I can hardly have a bulb plugged into my light socket with the hub been downstairs plugged into the modem

I have a powerplug plugged into my smart TV through Ethernet with my modem downstairs. Maybe plug the hub into that ?

Would the hub need to be in the same room as the bulb ??. I can hardly have a bulb plugged into my light socket with the hub been downstairs plugged into the modem

I have a powerplug plugged into my smart TV through Ethernet with my modem downstairs. Maybe plug the hub into that ?

That I couldn't tell you I'm afraid! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along to teach both of us.. there is an all things internet/home automation subforum on boards im sure you'd get answers a lot quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

Might be worth asking those kind of questions over on the Home Automation page. There a sticky for Philips Hue FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Looking for 3 echo dots with clock. Will only let me get one. Any ideas?
    Apart from opening new accounts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭plhealy2000

dougm1970 wrote: »

You need to use parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hub connects to your router.
    You link the bulbs via the hue app.
    You add the bulb as a device in Alexa.

You then control the bulb via the app or ask Alexa to turn on/off the light.
    If buying multiples give them distinct descriptive names like master bedroom light and not light 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

dougm1970 wrote: »

Amazon prime won't work on it even if you get to from parcel motel. I have one and Amazon confirmed it with me yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I tried to buy a (cheap item) on Amazon today -with no success.

Asked to buy more but no way to "proceed to ckeck out"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

Del007 wrote: »
    Amazon prime won't work on it even if you get to from parcel motel. I have one and Amazon confirmed it with me yesterday

Kind of defeats the intended purpose of the firestick if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Del007 wrote:

You mean prime video ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Del007 wrote: »

Yes, it will. Granted, you may need to tell Amazon to change your location to be the UK (just tell them you moved there) but I have a FireTV 4k and Prime Video works absolutely fine over here, as does Netflix. I have BBC iPlayer working with a VPN too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I was planning on buying a Kindle but they are actually a tenner cheaper in Argos!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Your hub connects to your broadband via ethernet (not sure if WiFi is possible for the hub). The bulbs and accessories all work over WiFi, so the hub doesn't have to be in the same room.

My router is by the TV, and I have a TP Links power line plugged in beside it.

My hub is in the storage space under the stairs, with the other side of the TP Links power line connecting it to the broadband.

I have various bulbs and dimmer switches throughout the house in different rooms. All work with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭R11

chrislad wrote: »
    I have BBC iPlayer working with a VPN too.
    What vpn are you using? I've nord and can't watch bbc iplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

R11 wrote:

BBC are fairly lax on geoblocking. It should definitely work with Nord.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭R11

dubrov wrote: »

Didn't work a few weeks ago. I'll try again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Got Vera Wang Princess perfume as Christmas present. Reduced from 60 to 20 but had to use addresspal as Mainland UK delivery only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

R11 wrote: »

NordVPN wouldn’t work for me either. Using ExpressVPN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Need something (relatively) cheap to boost WiFi around the house.

Anyone recommend anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

chrislad wrote: »
    Yes, it will. Granted, you may need to tell Amazon to change your location to be the UK (just tell them you moved there) but I have a FireTV 4k and Prime Video works absolutely fine over here, as does Netflix. I have BBC iPlayer working with a VPN too.

I was onto Amazon chat and that's what they told me. I may try telling them that I've moved to the UK, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

dubrov wrote: »

Got rid of Nord because it wasn't working for the UK at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Smart dns is the best way for iplayer

What's the best Smart DNS? Used one years ago, but can't for the life of me remember what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

someone mentioned in another thread about getting alexa discounts - anyone know anything about this?

• Advertisement

Just perusing some deals now...products seem to be 90% absolute rubbish

Advertisement