Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Socket Sets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

mullingar wrote: »
    Bit pricey for most here, but this is a fabulous tool chest set, I've one and it's well worth the price.

The Halfords Industrial 3 set, this is about 5.5ft tall!

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212500&productId=1332868&storeId=11101

If you're anywhere near the border head over to Halfords there, its only €398 for the 3 boxes at the current exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

If you're anywhere near the border head over to Halfords there, its only €398 for the 3 boxes at the current exchange rate.

You mean €459?

khamilto wrote: »
    You mean €459?

Yes, I dont know how I managed to make that mistake. Still, €40 is nothing to sniff at.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Waiting until they promote their torx/hex sockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Love how they're Metric sets yet the drive size is still Imperial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Has anyone returned any of the halfords advances stuff for issues with the case getting damaged? Have it a few years tools are still fine but case hardy locks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Waiting until they promote their torx/hex sockets.
    Me too - the small 7 or 8 piece torx, skt-only sets. But I've never seen them discounted - only the large, complete sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Not sure if it's any good but I think you can buy empty cases from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pique wrote: »
    The bigger ones are a mix of metric and imperial.
    Imperial drive size is the standard to be fair,

No more bizzare than tyre sizes having metric widths and wheels having radius in inches,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Better than half price Halfords Advanced socket sets, again , just the usual ones.
    http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets?partnumber=616353,303468,303484,169466,278619,278718,433094%22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Better than half price Halfords Advanced socket sets, again , just the usual ones.
    http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets?partnumber=616353,303468,303484,169466,278619,278718,433094%22
    Are the same sets offered each time or does it vary?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭dodzy

Are the same sets offered each time or does it vary?
    The 200 piece is the one to watch and go for. A lot of us here got it for €150 last year. Fabulous kit with everything you could possibly need as a general DIYer.

dodzy wrote: »
    The 200 piece is the one to watch and go for. A lot of us here got it for €150 last year. Fabulous kit with everything you could possibly need as a general DIYer.

You'll need a decent set of deep sockets as the ones in that kit aren't true deep sockets, as I learned to my dismay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

The halfords deep sockets are more of a long socket as the hex shape only goes in so far.

But I prefer it as it prevents the nut going too deep into the socket and you have a rough idea how much further the nut has to be turned before its home. In a deep socket the nut could be anywhere inside the length on the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Is 192 as low as it will go or does it get cheaper on the day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭dodzy

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is 192 as low as it will go or does it get cheaper on the day ?
    It's been a while since it hit the 150 mark. Really depends on your funds and needs. Personally, I think its a great piece of kit and that sub 200 quid is a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It's been a while since it hit the 150 mark. Really depends on your funds and needs. Personally, I think its a great piece of kit and that sub 200 quid is a good price.

Yup , there is plenty of stuff there for that money really . I'm in no rush for it so could hold out if I thought it would drop a decent chunk more

The halfords deep sockets are more of a long socket as the hex shape only goes in so far.

But I prefer it as it prevents the nut going too deep into the socket and you have a rough idea how much further the nut has to be turned before its home. In a deep socket the nut could be anywhere inside the length on the socket.

When you need deep sockets, you need deep sockets! The ones in this are just normal sockets that are physically longer which is...mostly pointless in my experience.

I've never particularly liked any of the ratchets, none of the 3 grip any of the sockets securely (one initially didn't lock at all, I replaced that and the new one locks but is never secure).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Socket discussion split to its own thread from the Halfords thread.

I left Halfords out of the title to allow BA's from any B&M shop or online.

Any issues please use the report button report.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

64 piece set, apparently reduced from ?140 in UK, down to ?60 here...

433094?w=637&h=403

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-64-piece-socket-set-1-4-3-8

64 piece set, apparently reduced from ?140 in UK, down to ?60 here...

433094?w=637&h=403

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-64-piece-socket-set-1-4-3-8

Its €60 in ROI and its €68 trade price in ROI. However its retail price in UK is not £140, at the moment its £50 (€56.97) and the trade price in the UK is only £40 (€45.58).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone ever tried using a southern trade card in the north?

5500 wrote: »
    Anyone ever tried using a southern trade card in the north?

It does not work.

I live right next to the border and shop in both areas more or less equally. When you go into a Halfords in the North just ask them for a trade card and show them your ROI card. Thats what I done and have both. I wrote "ROI" in ink on one because they are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Halfords 10 piece metric spanner set €6

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/spanners-wrenches/hal-adv-10pc-metric-spanner-set

Also reductions on 1/4 - 1/2" ratchets but reviews a bit mixed on these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

27 adv set down to €15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Have a code for the €6 spanner set for Tralee if anyone wants it. Person I reserved it for can't make it. First by PM gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Code gone.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

27 adv set down to €15

Picked up one and one as a present.
    Had a 10% online code and axa card in store, 2 sets for 24.30
    Bargain!!

Advertisement