Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TheRona

I gave them my 30 days notice a couple of weeks back. They've been trying to call me, and I've also received this SMS from them:

Here at Virgin Media, we do not want to see you leave. We would love to hear from you and see if there is anything we can do to change your mind and If so you can call us on 1800940199 and we can take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

so no decent offers from them this time,

whose best for internet just ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Moved to Vodafone 2 years ago, 35 a month, don't think price is available now. I've had zero issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

VF have moved to a new type of pricing now, everybody pays 40, new customer or old, of course that's until next April when they burst you open with the charming 3% + the rate of inflation wallet buster😏. VM as a new customer is your best move.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Advertisement

If you've no other option then just sign up as new. If and when you've an option get away quick.

How does that work though? My name and my wife’s are on this account- am I snookered?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Anybody get a good deal on just internet? Currently on 250mb and had the last year half price for 30e per month, rang up and was offered 30e for 6 months then 60 for the final 6 months. So it's cheap to get a new customer contract. Should I hold out to see if they will offer me better or just go ahead with setting up a new account?

Also anyone know how long it takes to get a new internet account from the time of ordering? Working from home so can't be without internet

• Advertisement

Just use your second name as well, Tom Sean Murphy or the Irish version of your name, obviously you do the application online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I would just go with a new account.

My experience is that the new equipment is received the day after ordering. I normally put in the order so that I have everything the day before the old contract ends, as it is unclear when exactly they cut off the old service.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Just tried to set up a new account and it's says that virgin broadband / tv is not available at my address :s it obviously is as I'm currently using it. Can I get the box delivered to an alternative address and just use it here ?

We’ve had an active account when ordering online and it’s never been an issue. However, we do alternate each year as to who’s name is on the account.

Don’t know if you can get it delivered to another house.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭WATPOAE

I had a call with cancellation team on Friday, have been given a mediocre offer on broadband despite me being out of contract. They've offered €45/month for 9 months + €60/month for 3 months (€585 yearly). It's a reduction on what I'm currently paying but not good enough vs. new customer offers and offer from Sky currently. Going to call tomorrow and push again but may have to cancel if they won't budge further.

I've seen many are going with cancelling and then signing up as a new customer. As far as I'm aware I don't have to give them any notice period to cancel as I'm out of contract, presuming I can just cancel and then submit new customer order straight away? Also wondering how much down time I'd be looking at in terms of service, I'm assuming a few days at least?

As far as I know you still need to give 30 days notice even when not in contract.

No down time at all. Sign up as a new customer 3 days before your notice ends, connect your new modem which is usually delivered the next day, change the SSID and password to your old modem if required, sorted👍

As far as I know I don't have a notice period with them as I am not in contract. So if I cancelled today, can I go ahead and sign up as new customer for 500mb and have modem delivered Mon/Tues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TheRona

They just can't compete if you have FTTH.

Even if I got 9 months half price again, it would still work out to €53/month for 1GB connection. I switched to Pure Telecom, €40/month on a 12 month contract and performance seems better. Get 100MB/s upload instead of about 35-40 with Virgin.

You can, but you’ll be paying for two services at the same time. I’ve double-checked, there is a notice period even after your 1 year is up:

”After the Minimum Period expires this Agreement will continue until it is terminated by either of you or us giving the other one month's prior notice. You must pay all relevant Charges up to the end of that one month notice period.”

• Advertisement

You need to give 30 days notice. I got an immediate cancellation once from them, it was when one of their price rises allowed me out of contract early, on the stroke of midnight it was switched off. I tried for immediate cancellation again but was refused making it impossible to avoid paying one month @ full price.

Rang them back again this morning and they won't budge further on the offer. Got the usual Sky/Eir warnings.

Speaking of which, I know Eir and Vodafone both flag that the cost of BB packages will go up each April by CPI +3%, anyone know if this is the same policy with Sky? (Apologies if someone has answered this before)

I'm not 100% certain but I don't think they do. I got an email from them offering me 500 for 30 a month for 12 months (sky that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Don't know about broadband but Sky just put the price up a few quid each year for TV when it suits. Same with them all. Doesn't matter if you're in contract or not. They state it in the T&C to cover their arses so you can't leave your contract midway through.

I signed a new contract in December one year and they put the price up in April even though it was a 12 month deal 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Hi my 12 month contract with VM is up mid September so I'll be emailing them to cancel it next week, giving them their 30 days notice and ensuring that I'm finished up with them on the day my contract expires. I signed up in my husband's name last year, so will be signing up in my name this year as a "new customer". As far as I remember, it's the phone number on the account that needs to be different from the previous one.

Can I ask how do I change the SSID and password on the new modem when I arrives? Can anyone walk me through it? Thanks!

Can you let us know if that's allowed? I tried doing that this year and they wouldn't let me, the agent said I could only give my 30 days notice when I was out of contract, stinging me for one month at full price 😡. It's easiest to change SSID and password using a pad or laptop, 192.168.0.1 entered on the top bar of your browser will bring you to the router page. You'll need the router password it's underneath the router it isn't the wireless password. A welcome dialogue starts, prompting you to first change this password if you want to, skip or change if you want to I normally leave it as it is. The next screen is the one you want where it asks you if you want to change your SSID and password, change it and save, obviously when this happens you'll be logged out, all going well a quick search will find the "new" SSID and you're sorted.

You can definitely give the 30 day notice while in contract so that it ends the day the term ends. However, when speaking to customer service you get all sorts of conflicting information. For example, with some you can serve notice well in advance (>30 days) to end the day your contract is up. Others say you can only do it 30 days beforehand. While others say you can only give your 30 days out of contract (this is nonsense). Luck of the draw.

Of course you can give your 30 days notice before the contract ends. How would it make any sense for anyone to have pay for a month at an even more inflated price I did when I moved to VF and did it another year before they made me a better offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Thanks CoBo55. I'm going to try emailing them at the cancel@virginmedia.ie address and I'm going to say my contract is due to end on X date and I don't want to renew it so here's my 30 days notice.

If I don't get a reply straight away then I'll ring them but I'll let you know how I get on anyway.

Their customer service is so bad and I know you get told something different depending on which person you speak to, but it can't be legal for them to keep you paying another month at the new increased contract prices when you tell them in advance that you don't want to renew/continue the contract and give them the 30 days notice in time.

I'll keep you posted anyway! Thanks again for the SSID info.

Advertisement