Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Think I 'll wait for the TLDR version.

People have the opportunity to make services cheaper, but if you're a dick they won't make it cheaper. If you're not a dick, you'll get benefits. Still has nothing to do with tipping though, just sounds like business...
    People really do think that marching in with an entitled attitude or trying to guilt or intimidate staff is the cute hoor thing to do like. Ok maybe you do manage to make the odd entry level staff member cry and capitulate and possibly get in trouble but Jesus. Dopes.

Who said anything about that? I order food and pay for delivery. I expect the food to be delivered in the agreed time. I can't even fathom how the service can be improved enough to warrant a tip. Just getting the food to me in the agreed time, delivered to my door, is the basics of it, and completing that is completing the job. Nothing extra warranted. Bad weather and traffic is not my problem, if it's such a big issue charge more during peak times for delivery. I have no intention of making anyone cry, but at the same time I've no intention of giving an extra reward for doing the basics of a job.

Someone said above that after everything it doesn't pay, so why do it? There are plenty other jobs out there that don't require delivery. All jobs have crap aspects, but pay should not be one of them, minimum should be expected per hour or as per agreed contract if different. Can't give out that people don't tip in order to make it worth your while doing.

It's gas, the die-hard pro-tippers have a hard on for calling people who don't tip mean, stingy, etc, and we just want to know why you feel the need to tip, other than to make yourself feel better.

Edit: Added quoted reply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

People have the opportunity to make services cheaper, but if you're a dick they won't make it cheaper. If you're not a dick, you'll get benefits. Still has nothing to do with tipping though, just sounds like business...

Well I didn't want to call you a dick directly but you got there yourself. ;)

Also specifically not being tight and looking to pinch every penny helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

leggo wrote: »
    That's the difference having a give-and-take attitude can make. You can be a bit sociopathic about it like your man earlier going in with his 'smile and be polite but don't tip unless it's socially awkward' attitude, but that's transparent in the real world and those people tend to only be sound in situations they think being sound benefits them, while thinking about what you do and don't deserve in the background. With the above situation, that mask would've absolutely slipped at the point of the fee, then I wouldn't have gone out of my way and he would've ended up paying. No amount of moaning or abuse would do the job because the fee wouldn't exist to begin with if it was optional. But my boss trusts my judgement so if I say it's worth waiving in this specific instance (because the person is decent), there's hidden wiggle room nobody would even know about.

Exactly this. Having a positive demeanour and treating people with respect is the way to do it. Worst case scenario you're much more likely to have a real relationship (In a professional sense, not "let's go for pints"). But that's nicer than just passing like ships in the night when you're dealing with people and much more pleasant than having an adversarial relationship for the sake of it.

Smile, be pleasant and treat people like people who are doing a job (people are not their job) so they have good days, bad days, other customers putting them under pressure. People can tell if they're being treated as a person first. That's the approach to adopt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

I used to work as a delivery driver to help with the mortgage on top of the day job until my wages improved. It was relatively handy but could be very frustrating when restaurants were slow or delayed with food and traffic was busy. We used to collect for 10 different restaurants.

The pay wasn't great. Used to get flat rate of €7.00 an hour and €1.00 per delivery on top of that. You would average between 3-4 deliveries per hour and the shift was from 5-11pm but might be sent home early if it got quiet. Fuel of €12-€15 a night used come out of the wage. So without tips you wouldn't make minimum wage and it wouldn't be worth your while some nights.

I'd say about half would tip but you would do very well to end the night with more than €20.00 in tips. €15 - €20 was a very good night.

Thing is, your story is an example of why tipping is a bad thing in the long run.

I can't for a second see how that arrangement was legal, but if not then it's certainly immoral.

If the tips make it (just about) sustainable for you then it lets the employer off the hook - if it weren't then you wouldn't be able to do it and the employer would have to actually pay a fairer wage.

Exactly this. Having a posture demeanour and treating people with respect is the way to do it. Worst case scenario you're much more likely to have a real relationship (In a professional sense, not "let's go for pints"). But that's nicer than just passing like ships in the night when you're dealing with people and much more pleasant than having an adversarial relationship for the sake of it.

Smile, be pleasant and treat people like people who are doing a job (people are not their job) so they have good days, bad days, other customers putting them under pressure. People can tell if they're being treated as a person first. That's the approach to adopt.

You’re dead right and I’m glad we agree. But do you not see how your own approach to money would cost you here? If you view a situation as transactional and have an approach to money that you only spend what you absolutely need to regardless of quality of service, you’re going to find yourself diametrically opposed to this kind of situation and it’ll cost you. This client saved money because they were happy to spend it to preserve the rapport we’d built. It wasn’t a clever gambit on their behalf because there was no notion that they might get let off the hook (and they couldn’t have seen the fee coming), it only occurred to me in the moment. So being willing to spend for good service actually saved them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

leggo wrote:
    You’re dead right and I’m glad we agree. But do you not see how your own approach to money would cost you here? If you view a situation as transactional and have an approach to money that you only spend what you absolutely need to regardless of quality of service, you’re going to find yourself diametrically opposed to this kind of situation and it’ll cost you. This client saved money because they were happy to spend it to preserve the rapport we’d built. It wasn’t a clever gambit on their behalf because there was no notion that they might get let off the hook (and they couldn’t have seen the fee coming), it only occurred to me in the moment. So being willing to spend for good service actually saved them.

It's a nonsensical and pointless comparison.

A fast food delivery is a fixed price transaction.

If the person carrying out the delivery is unwilling to provide the service they are being paid for fairly (ie, purposely delaying service), they are in the wrong job.

Should I drop a couple of quid into the guy who makes the food in case he spits in mine because other people might tip him?

I shouldn't have to pay someone on top of the agreed price.

Yeah. I don't know how many times I've said I'll pay the price if I want a service. I've never said I see interactions as purely transactional, that's entirely your words so nothing to do with me.

Treating people respectfully is the starting point for any relationship. That's what I find anyway. Maybe some people only react to money but my experience says money isn't a good way to build mutual relationships.

Ironicname wrote: »

If the person carrying out the delivery is unwilling to provide the service they are being paid for fairly (ie, purposely delaying service), they are in the wrong job.

Should I drop a couple of quid into the guy who makes the food in case he spits in mine because other people might tip him?

It’s not man, it’s directly relatable. You don’t ever ‘have’ to pay a tip. If you don’t, you choose not to because you prioritise saving money for yourself over helping someone who provides you with a good service. It’s an attitude. And having that attitude costs you. Not only is it very apparent to anyone with a bit of cop on and experience, but in the example I gave as far as the client was concerned she was looking to pay something for what she saw as an agreed price (because she doesn’t know the industry I’m in like I do and the million potential variables that can pop up). She chose to eat the fee because we had a great rapport she didn’t want to risk harming, in effect she’s writing it off in her own head as it being worthwhile for the quality of service, because I guarantee she’d have pushed back or hesitated in a more contentious negotiation. And her showing that respect towards me led me to give it back to her and get the fee waived. Being happy to spend money actually saved her money.

This is it. Maybe some people are only motivated by money. I find a bit of human interaction goes a long way.

But if someone would feel so entitled to a tip that they would consider spitting in your food, then that shows some people are wrong'ns

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Thing is, your story is an example of why tipping is a bad thing in the long run.

I can't for a second see how that arrangement was legal, but if not then it's certainly immoral.

If the tips make it (just about) sustainable for you then it lets the employer off the hook - if it weren't then you wouldn't be able to do it and the employer would have to actually pay a fairer wage.

We were set up as self employed delivery drivers so he wasn't really liable for minimum wage, holiday pay, etc. Most of us were doing it as a second employment so the flexibility of hours was the most important thing for us. But it was definitely immoral and the company was making plenty money.

The extra 100 - 150 a week was badly needed at the time but thank god I don't need to do it anymore.

The tips do let the employer off the hook but employers in hotels/restaurants/pubs/bars, etc almost always try and pay their staff as little as possible, especially with short shifts. Hours per week would be lower than in most industries except for the really busy places. Most people would be on minimum wage or just above it as well as normally getting less than 35 hours per week so I wouldn't begrudge anyone a couple of euro here and there once the service is good.

• Advertisement

It’s not man, it’s directly relatable. You don’t ever ‘have’ to pay a tip. If you don’t, you choose not to because you prioritise saving money for yourself over helping someone who provides you with a good service. It’s an attitude. And having that attitude costs you. Not only is it very apparent to anyone with a bit of cop on and experience, but in the example I gave as far as the client was concerned she was looking to pay something for what she saw as an agreed price (because she doesn’t know the industry I’m in like I do and the million potential variables that can pop up). She chose to eat the fee because we had a great rapport she didn’t want to risk harming, in effect she’s writing it off in her own head as it being worthwhile for the quality of service, because I guarantee she’d have pushed back or hesitated in a more contentious negotiation. And her showing that respect towards me led me to give it back to her and get the fee waived. Being happy to spend money actually saved her money.

So she was willing to pay the actual price (as I've said I'd obviously do). You said you did her the favour because she’s sound, not because she tipped you.

I don’t know if you realise it or not, but it’s is precisely the dynamic I’ve been describing all along. Just being sound goes a long way as your anecdote demonstrates.

Yeah. I don't know how many times I've said I'll pay the price if I want a service. I've never said I see interactions as purely transactional, that's entirely your words so nothing to do with me.

Treating people respectfully is the starting point for any relationship. That's what I find anyway. Maybe some people only react to money but my experience says money isn't a good way to build mutual relationships.

That’s waffle though. You’re coming on here and judging how difficult you feel someone’s job is or isn’t and how deserving they are or aren’t of receiving extra money. How do you call that respectful? If you act a certain way while simultaneously judging someone for their job, that’s not respecting them, it’s being fake because you want to avoid the reaction giving away your real thoughts would get (hence only tipping when it’s socially awkward not to).

Your viewpoint here doesn’t marry with your earlier viewpoint, unless both are waffle and you’re just saying empty words because you don’t want to admit to yourself that you’re just a bit tight. I’m not insulting you btw, again I don’t know you to do so. I’m just pointing out your overall point doesn’t add up.

That’s waffle though. You’re coming on here and judging how difficult you feel someone’s job is or isn’t and how deserving they are or aren’t of receiving extra money. How do you call that respectful? If you act a certain way while simultaneously judging someone for their job, that’s not respecting them, it’s being fake because you want to avoid the reaction giving away your real thoughts would get (hence only tipping when it’s socially awkward not to).

Your viewpoint here doesn’t marry with your earlier viewpoint, unless both are waffle and you’re just saying empty words because you don’t want to admit to yourself that you’re just a bit tight. I’m not insulting you btw, again I don’t know you to do so. I’m just pointing out your overall point doesn’t add up.

I've done the job and it's a very easy job. That's clear to anyone who's done it. That isn't showing disrespect to anyone, it's an honest appraisal of the difficulty of the job. It would be waffle to pretend the job is hard when it really isn't.

But lots of jobs are hard and they don't get tips. I know the basic job spec for delivery driver and bring the correct food to the correct address in the time allotted and be pleasant. That's the job. It isn't going above and beyond and isn't earning extra money. It's just doing the job properly. The difficulty of the job is naff all to do with me. Pay, conditions and expectations are between the employer and employee. If you feel you're entitled to a tip, then petition your boss for more money.

I've told you how I treat people and that I generally have good interactions with people I meet in service roles and that's pretty much all there is to it. You even described a situation which demonstrates the exact position I'm talking about - someone who was sound in their dealings with you so you looked after them. It happens all the time, you're not the only one to treat people well.when they treated you well. Its not dependant on tips as your anecdote shows you already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I try to tip at least 10 percent after eating in a restaurant. If I had it in me, I would tip the delivery driver 2 euro. This is in Ireland. I would tip more in America because service staff over there have a terrible minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

We were set up as self employed delivery drivers so he wasn't really liable for minimum wage, holiday pay, etc. Most of us were doing it as a second employment so the flexibility of hours was the most important thing for us. But it was definitely immoral and the company was making plenty money.

The extra 100 - 150 a week was badly needed at the time but thank god I don't need to do it anymore.

The tips do let the employer off the hook but employers in hotels/restaurants/pubs/bars, etc almost always try and pay their staff as little as possible, especially with short shifts. Hours per week would be lower than in most industries except for the really busy places. Most people would be on minimum wage or just above it as well as normally getting less than 35 hours per week so I wouldn't begrudge anyone a couple of euro here and there once the service is good.

That's "bogus self employment" and is illegal.

All of this is really just an argument for stronger employment law...and actually enforcing it.

My hesitation isn't the person isn't worth the tip, it's that it makes things worse in the long run for sake of the person in front of you - and yourself, this is going to come off as a bit uncaring, but I think a lot of the reason we tip is to make ourselves feel better, about lessening the guilt we feel about being served. I think this explains what you said in the previous post about how less well off people tip better. Better off people tend to deal with guilt quite differently to poorer people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I doubt there’s much delaying of deliveries out of spite but at busy times, tipping will probably be one of the things used to sort out delivery order. I guess if everyone tipped, that sorting system would dissolve so the stingos are doing everyone else a favour really by helping us get our food quicker. Cheers for that.

I doubt there’s much delaying of deliveries out of spite but at busy times, tipping will probably be one of the things used to sort out delivery order. I guess if everyone tipped, that sorting system would dissolve so the stingos are doing everyone else a favour really by helping us get our food quicker. Cheers for that.

Yeah tipping might be a bit like priority boarding on Ryanair.

In my experience this stuff is being exaggerated. In most cases you're given a couple of deliveries and you take them. If one is 5 mins away and the other is 10 mins in the opposite direction, the order is set for you be the geography - you take the closer one first. Otherwise you'd be doing a. Terrible job as a delivery driver. In that e ample you could get the first order to the first customer in 5 mins and the second order to second customer 15 mins later for a total of 20 mins. Doing it the other way around gives the first order to the tipper in 10 mins and the second order to the person 5 mins away on 25 mins after leaving the shop.

But ideally you'll send orders together that are in the same direction. So they might be 10 mins away in the same direction and 4 mins apart from each other. So in that case its a small difference between which goes first or second. And that would be the usual way to do it if you have 4 or 5 drivers and a steady stream of orders. Orders tended to cluster in areas we had done leaflet drops during the week.

I worked as a delivery driver and then moved inside the shop as a shift manager so I was then responsible for sending the orders. Having known the routes from driving I was able to tell the drivers which to deliver first. But obviously I couldn't make them do it when they were out in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That's "bogus self employment" and is illegal.

All of this is really just an argument for stronger employment law...and actually enforcing it.

My hesitation isn't the person isn't worth the tip, it's that it makes things worse in the long run for sake of the person in front of you - and yourself, this is going to come off as a bit uncaring, but I think a lot of the reason we tip is to make ourselves feel better, about lessening the guilt we feel about being served. I think this explains what you said in the previous post about how less well off people tip better. Better off people tend to deal with guilt quite differently to poorer people.

When I did it in the early to mid 00's, "poorer" people as you say tipped a hell of a lot better than most nouveau riche Celtic Tiger cubs.

You could tell by someone's accent most of the time whether they would tip or not.

Tradesman / working class / council estate = 90% tip

Country accent / shirt & tie / woman in business suit = 90% no tip.

By far the best tippers of all were the old money rich. A couple of well-known surnames I can think of that regularly tipped €20 for one delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

No, I don't. It is part of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, if you have a guy that orders regularly and throws you a fiver, then there's a good chance you'll drop his food off before anyone else's to keep him sweet.

I imagine a lot of this tipping though is a hangover from the 90s when delivery drivers earned SFA except what the customers tipped them and would be expected to cover the costs of any wrong orders or missed orders, etc.

Since virtually everywhere has a delivery charge now, I doubt drivers are being well paid, but they're being paid at least.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote:
    You could tell by someone's accent most of the time whether they would tip or not.

Can you tell by skin colour too? Or is it just where people are from that is cool to generalise about?

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, if you have a guy that orders regularly and throws you a fiver, then there's a good chance you'll drop his food off before anyone else's to keep him sweet.

See, it even sounds demeaning.

It just smacks of "here you go peasant, have five euro. You need it more than I do. Next time, bring me my food quicker than other people because you need to keep me happy or else I won't give you pocket money".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I usually order a fairly local chinese that costs €12 - delivery used to be €2 and id usually give the guy €15 or €17

They put the charge up to €5 not so long ago. So no more tips from ardinn!!

ardinn wrote: »
    I usually order a fairly local chinese that costs €12 - delivery used to be €2 and id usually give the guy €15 or €17

They put the charge up to €5 not so long ago. So no more tips from ardinn!!

I doubt the delivery charge is a good indication of how much the delivery driver is paid. I'd say set purely by the supply and demand aspect of how much you'll pay. You used to pay the €3 to the driver as a tip (for whatever reason) and now with the driver providing the exact same service, you still pay the €3 but you pay it to the takeaway instead of the driver.

I worked as a waiter in a hotel and there was a €4 'tray charge' on room service. Customers presumed the at went to the waiter who delivered the food but in fact it just went to the kitchen as an additional charge.

It didn't cost anything more to produce as it was dishes from the restaurant menu.

So the questions is: what were you paying the tip to the driver for a d why did the restaurant charging more cause you to stop tipping the driver?

Can you tell by skin colour too? Or is it just where people are from that is cool to generalise about?

Well I had a couple of years experience at it so it may be a generalisation, but it's my direct experience. A lot of generalisations only exist because there's at least some truth in them.

It was extremely rare non-Irish nationals ever ordered anything in my experience anyway.

Good on you for going to bat for the middle class and tight ar5e culchies of the world though, god knows they need defending. :pac:

2ndcoming wrote:
    Well I had a couple of years experience at it so it may be a generalisation, but it's my direct experience. A lot of generalisations only exist because there's at least some truth in them.
    2ndcoming wrote:
    It was extremely rare non-Irish nationals ever ordered anything in my experience anyway.

So it's ok to generalise about people you have never met, because of they share the same ethnicity or race of people you do have experience of?

Do you do that a lot?

Do you assume all black people are going to be more or less similar to all of the black people you have ever met?

Are all "blacks more or less the same" as you are trying to lump in culchies?

I'm a dub by the way. I'm not offended on behalf of people from outside of Dublin. I'm just curious about what stereotypes are ok to you.
    2ndcoming wrote:
    Good on you for going to bat for the middle class and tight ar5e culchies of the world though, god knows they need defending.

I'm not going to bat for anyone. I just like pointing out your selective stereotyping.

So it's ok to generalise about people you have never met, because of they share the same ethnicity or race of people you do have experience of?

Do you do that a lot?

Do you assume all black people are going to be more or less similar to all of the black people you have ever met?

Are all "blacks more or less the same" as you are trying to lump in culchies?

I'm a dub by the way. I'm not offended on behalf of people from outside of Dublin. I'm just curious about what stereotypes are ok to you.

I'm not going to bat for anyone. I just like pointing out your selective stereotyping.

This might be hard to get your head around.

When it comes to the issue at hand, Tips on deliveries, I gave my experience based on the clientele that I dealt with.

As I did not have enough of a sample size to judge other cultures as they very rarely ordered, they were left out entirely.

If I had done deliveries in London or Birmingham, I could have painted you a more ethnically balanced picture without a doubt.

But I didn't, I did it in West Dublin after the turn of the century.

As in any line of work, you can predict outcomes more successfully with experience. In a line of work where tips are an essential boost to your income, you need to learn how to predict this quickly. Knowing which of the 10 dockets ready every time you returned to the base to choose and which to leave to the other driver could be the difference between an extra €50 at the end of the night and nothing.

I am not judging anyone, I am speaking from experience.

2ndcoming wrote:

Cool. So if someone had terrible experiences with black people, it's cool for him to say that black people are terrible?

Or would that be racist?

Cool. So if someone had terrible experiences with black people, it's cool for him to say that black people are terrible?

Or would that be racist?

What are you on about you head the ball?

2ndcoming wrote:
    What are you on about you head the ball?

I'm saying that you find it acceptable to stereotype people. Would it be ok to do that to everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Knowing which of the 10 dockets ready every time you returned to the base to choose and which to leave to the other driver could be the difference between an extra €50 at the end of the night and nothing.

So you think people who don't tip are "the middle class and tight ar5e culchies", but you had absolutely no problem stealing all the 'good' dockets from your colleague to ensure you got the €50 and they got nothing? Cool.

Advertisement