Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Bike shop - use it or lose it!

• 08-12-2019 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

As a previous employee of a bike shop (probably one of my favourite jobs in my 30 year career, to date), I have a couple of questions...

What percentage of your cycling spend goes to local bike shops, as opposed to online purchases?

Would you pay that little bit extra to maintain a quality bike shop in your locality or do you need to wring every last cent out of your hard earned cash, by exclusively buying online?

Do you value face-to-face customer service, or is value for money your main driver?

If you weren't confident in carrying out repairs/maintenance, and had to leave your bike with a professional to carry out the work, how would you do this if they all eventually disappear, due to not being able to compete with online retailers?

I have no hidden agenda or vested interest in asking these questions; I'm not opening a bike shop and I no longer work in the industry. Bike shops of various scales around the country shutting down was a common occurrence during my time there...the majority of them citing not being able to compete with online companies was a regularly stated.

Discuss...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've only ever made a single bike related purchase online, but then again, that was probably the tenth purchase i've ever made online for a physical good.
    i'm a bit of a luddite, especially for someone whose job is an IT one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Well I'm gutted about my LBS closing last week, and unsure of where I'll go next for such good service.
    However, I didn't buy much from him, just the occasional tube, lube etc.
    I did avail of his services on a lot of my build projects.
    However, since I mostly buy second hand parts, or auctions on eBay, I would not be the typical customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My bike is serviced twice yearly by lbs with most bits done by same as I'm generally useless to fix it.

If spending decent money I'll try use same lbs to have quicker dealings in case I meet issues. I've bought 2 bikes, 2 sets of wheels & a power meter there over the years. As I'm racing having a good relationship with my LBS is essential really so I try to sle d what I can there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭G1032

8valve wrote: »
    What percentage of your cycling spend goes to local bike shops, as opposed to online purchases?

Don't know. Most spend goes online but I do buy local also. Always more expensive buying local. Always.
    Would you pay that little bit extra to maintain a quality bike shop in your locality or do you need to wring every last cent out of your hard earned cash, by exclusively buying online?

Some incredible mark up on a lot of stuff locally to be fair. It's not about wringing every last cent. Some stuff is just much too expensive locally when compared to online.
    Do you value face-to-face customer service, or is value for money your main driver?

Face to face probably has its value at times but often I'd know more about what I want than those in the bike shop.
    If you weren't confident in carrying out repairs/maintenance, and had to leave your bike with a professional to carry out the work, how would you do this if they all eventually disappear, due to not being able to compete with online retailers?

Try and do most repairs myself. Have mechanic in the club who can do repairs I can't. There's also a place for the local also but just last week I collected a bike from a shop I left it into, only to notice after I got home that the top tube had been badly scratched when in the shop. Not good enough. Don't do themselves any favours.

There is a shop in my local area who won't service certain bike brands

There was a shop in my area until recently who charged me €40 to cut a steerer. Is it any wonder they're no longer in business?

A few years ago (4 I'd say) I was quoted €65 for a Tiagra cassette. The same cassette could be bought online and delivered for €17 at the time.

I have more examples of similar but you get the picture....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My lbs charged 15 quid to cut my steerer. Same price to swap a bb; I supplied the part (albeit from a full groupset I'd previously bought in the same shop).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I buy local almost all the time. Two exceptions: I wanted this jersey and this one and couldn't find anyone selling them in Ireland.

Also looking for a handlebars like this a couple of years ago, was €79 in Cycle Superstore in Tallaght, not including grips, had the exact same one (BBB) sent from Germany with two grips for €41 all in. Sorry, but that's too much mark up on one product.

From doing a lot of touring on the continent the past few years, Decathlon are going to do some serious damage to a lot of bike shops in Dublin and surrounding areas.

I wonder if the likes of Halfords might see the biggest percentage hit on bike sales, albeit with the caveat that they'll be much more easily able to take the hit than an lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If a cyclist becomes really interested in how the bike works I suppose they teach themselves how to do a lot of the basic stuff .If a part needs to be replaced they buy online much cheaper and do it themselves .I would say bike shops need people who can do nothing so they can stay in buiness doing even fairly basic stuff.I do not think they much huge money on selling the new bike its the service and repairs that keep the place open.I myself buy everything from the shop as i do beleive they should be supported I see it the same as keeping in with my car mechanic .

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

99% of my purchases are online. The price difference is so substantial, I simply can't justify going to lbs unless I need something immediately. I do all repairs myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Yourmama wrote: »
    99% of my purchases are online. The price difference is so substantial, I simply can't justify going to lbs unless I need something immediately.

Pretty similar. Lights, bibs, jackets, overshoes etc all online. LBS can't compete with the selection, economies of scale, price and convenience of online.

Where LBS gets my business is for bikes and servicing including parts. I want advice I can trust when investing in a bike and the comfort of knowing if I've any issues my LBS is an authorised XXX dealer who will stand over warranty etc.

Online can't compete with trusted personal relationships and it can't handle servicing and repairs etc.

Good example. Bought a bike for a family member from LBS in June despite it being almost €100 more than the best priced online offering. All good, 1st service FOC etc. Family member had a minor accident on the bike Friday afternoon. When they got home i could see the front derailer was knocked around and the front mudguard was broken. Brought the bike to the LBS thinking I'd drop it in and they'd have it sorted in a few days. 20 minutes later in leaving with a new mudguard fitted as the derailer fixed up and realigned. €15 all in.

Online will never be able to replace that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Local bike shop always, for repairs and service, Online retailers just can't match...

Build up a relationship with your LBS, and build respect with your bike mechanic and you'll get great service in return...

Ok, so you can faff around with servicing your own bike but for bikes with hydraulic disc brakes, air/oil suspension shocks, wheel truing on wheelsets costing over €1k, Di2 or Wireless drivetrains etc. it's best not to try learn how to fix it by watching Youtube videos... And who wants to get caught out in the middle of nowhere with a mechanical issue caused because a part you fitted wasn't torqued up correctly?

I'm sure a lot of the walk in repairs bike shops receive is "oh it was fine yesterday and I don't know why it doesn't work now"...i.e. I tried to fix it myself and...

And the bike brands I purchase aren't available online, only through authorised dealers...

I can't be assed with returning the likes of say a new tubeless MTB tyre that's faulty, to have to take it off the rim, package it up, send it back, argue over email with online customer service, wait for a replacement, remount the tyre etc.. When I can just go back to my LBS, hey..this is faulty, fit another new one on now please...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'm sure a lot of the walk in repairs bike shops receive is "oh it was fine yesterday and I don't know why it doesn't work now"...i.e. I tried to fix it myself and...
    i'd say the LBSes have to deal with an awful lot of guff. most obvious example i can remember overhearing in my LBS was a customer bringing his son's bike in to have the rear derailleur (or possibly hanger) replaced for the second time, because his son kept dropping the bike on its side through sheer laziness. when he heard how much it was going to be to repair, he asked about a trade in for a new one, and his nose was very quickly out of joint when the LBS owner named a price.

the shop owner had to explain a) the bike was five years old, b) he knew exactly how well it had been treated because it had been in his shop multiple times for repair - and the owner's father had just been lamenting how badly his son had been treating it, and c) it needed about €120 in parts alone replaced before it could be sold on. despite all this, the chap who had brought it in left in a huff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Local bike shops should play to their strengths and provide top quality, efficient, prompt and reliable, communication, servicing and repair.

I say they should do that...It is far from a given. I can absolutely excuse shops for not being able to match cut price online retailer bargains and I have no problem paying for good service. Apart from anything else, surely that's where the money is if the margin is so tight on components.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Most items purchased online. I can't justify the price difference between parts bought online Vs lbs. I do most of the jobs myself so mainly getting parts.

My most recent experience of lbs was a wheel build. 8 weeks and numerous phone calls to the shop later ( with unfulfilled promises to call back with ETA) led to me ordering the same wheel at a marginally higher price from a wheel builder in England.
    If I need another I'll be going back to guy in England.
    I was happy to initially go local initially but service was hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've always tried to shop local where I can ... so I was a bit miffed a couple of months ago ....

Firstly I live 30 mins from my local cycle shop and the owner knows this.... I have bought 2 bikes in last 3 years from him , one was €1300 racer and other a €800 toura...

Plus sank another 200/ 300 in parts ( bibshorts / jackets servicing) over same period ... so I rang him a few months ago on a monday because my tyre blew out damaging tyre and as I work mon to fri and I couldn't make it in in time during week ,I firstly asked if I drove after work could he wait , I'd have been 10 mins max after his closing which he said no ...NOW I didnt mind this but i then said would it be possible to send them out in post and I'd buy 2 tyres to which he said no again , he doesnt do that ....
    I went onto chain reaction and I got them wednesday ...probably cheaper aswell ....

If he hadn't just said a straight no I would have offered to pay postage or got fastways onto it and paid by card over phone for tyres...

It really pissed me off ......

But then again I continue to shop there and in fairness I fell off bike one day and he straightened wheel which I was sure was goosed and he charged me something like 15 euro which I was delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Without naming names bar one, my locals:

CS - seems a total rip every time I'm in.
    X. Run by an absolute arsebag, not sure how he's still in business
    Y. Run by wife of owner most days, clueless. Should just let the young lad take over
    Z. Popular but has sold clubmates trash before because it's their main brand, not impressed.
    Oh and A. Maybe ok, seems a bit steep but I've only been in twice.

I ride 6 days a week most weeks so if I couldn't sort my own problems it'd rack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I use mine regularly over a few of mine and the families bikes. It changed hands this time last year, but service is even better than it was with the new owners (I think I was first in the door!). Any bikes from new have come from there, n+1 is being massively swayed by the brands they're dealers for - have a hankering for steel or ti, and they just don't deal in any! Any second hand bikes go straight in for a service with them.

I could do more myself, but I choose to get even minor jobs done with them, a large element is supporting them (but obviously I could be arsing around watching youtube, when I can drop in the morning and collect in the evening from them). I could probably source parts cheaper, but that's my contribution on top of the regular labour I support.

However, they can't compete on clothes (don't particularly like the brands they stock anyway) and things like tyres. Had wheels rebuilt where it would be marginal whether buying new online would be cheaper. If it was something of bike rebuild I'd talk to them first as to what to do regarding components. Dynamo hub is on the list - I'll be asking will they build me a wheel, and should I source the hub myself, before deciding my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

1. I'd say its almost 60/40. I buy service parts that I can do myself online, or if I'm looking for something specific .
    2. Dont mind paying a bit extra. They provide a great service
    3. I take face to face customer service every time.
    4. I'd just have to take on doing the repairs myself.

My lbs does great work for cycling in my locality. Sponsors prizes for races and is genuinely enthusiastic about getting people out on bikes. Doesn't matter what it is, once you're out spinning the legs they'll support it. That's why I try my best to buy what i can from there and support them. I do my best with servicing the bike but drop it in for them to go through it in case I miss anything. You pay a bit extra but personally you make it back when you get in trouble or if a part fails.

Cant say the same about my old lbs. Id say the motto was sell high and forget the customer once they've gone out the door.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have 3 lbs within 10 mins of me, though only 1 i consider my lbs.

A. Always great service. Always honest and upfront about how long things will take, how much things cost them and if I'd be better off elsewhere. They always offer an alternative if it saves me money but not necessarily them.

My next bike is 100% from them and I have them earmarked to build another one for me.

I also bought a bike second hand from someone years ago. Last year brought it in and they knew the bike straight off, as they originally built it. That's even with some components changed.

Shop B. I've had terrible or downright hostile service and witnessed it with others in store. They did once give me a free wheel box though and sort me out another time. I think they've 1 mechanic who is just a bit a got.

The third one, I've only spoken to them and bought some clothes that were well priced as it happened, but never gone to them for service etc but would give them a try as they're going a fair long time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I'd be lost without my local bike shop - Quay Cycles in drogheda. I live about 5 miles out of the town but most spins I take I end up passing by and the handiness off being able to pop in with the bike and have anything looked at or pick up tools, spares etc on the fly is priceless

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I have 3 lbs within 10 mins of me, though only 1 i consider my lbs.
    the one nearest me - and you - i think i've only been in twice. the owner tried to sell me a bike which he clearly wanted rid of, but didn't mention that it was obviously 10 speed ultegra on it, so essentially new old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Have recently started regularly using a local bike shop (cycling and angling balbriggan). Great lads and will do their best to match any online prices. Help the local cycling club too, a big plus. Don't really sell clothing, seem to stick more to parts and bikes. I'd say as well that they don't have as fancy a premises as some of the other shops, and are a lot smaller scale, but have been around for years though and have a lot of regular customers.

Have used a lot of different shops before this one, different experiences, most are decent, but the current one is few levels above, both in terms of their work and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

A business can not sustain on benevolence or foresightedness of buyers. It doesn't work like that. Just look around to see how many traditional shops, butchers etc are gone now and replaced by the likes of Tesco etc. Same with electronics shops.

LBSs have a great USP - they can service bikes, offer advice, be the base for club activities etc. Online retailers can't do any of this. IMHO, LBS should not compete with online retailers, it's pointless. Perhaps they should join the online platforms and offer their services thru them. As the saying goes, if you can't beat them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Most of my purchases are from LBS, 3 bikes, lots of bike clothing, helmet, water bottles, carrier, carrier bags, backpacks etc etc. I get a lot of bike tools and replacements online. Also just bought a turbo trainer online as it's much more convenient to shop while I am at work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

I do my own work so mostly buy online, myself, wife and 4 kids = about 15 bikes so I have to.
    On another note my nephew got a puncture recently and his dad was out of town and the LBS charged him €15 to fix it, not even a new tube ffs now I dunno what you guys pay but I thought that was a bit rich, it was a QR front wheel as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Also just bought a turbo trainer online as it's much more convenient to shop while I am at work ;)

TT was a big enough purchase for me, so spoke with my LBS when I called in one Saturday, asked to get the new KickR, I can't call over during the week so I called over the next Saturday and they had it in stock, they stuck on a new cassette, checked it over and made sure everything worked out of the box, I popped it into the car and was using it that evening...

I didn't want an 19KG box arriving at the office or reception wouldn't be too pleased, plus having to haul it out to the car park.... plus the online price was no saving as it was a brand new item.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crosswords

Generally I find the local bike shops poor in terms of their ability to service stuff properly.

The amount of times I have had to go back with badly serviced stuff...….

I now do 90% of the work myself.

If you can find a good shop, then by all means support it, but its hard to get a good one.

Unless a shop will do trade ins, it makes more financial sense to buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

mamax wrote: »
    I do my own work so mostly buy online, myself, wife and 4 kids = about 15 bikes so I have to.
    On another note my nephew got a puncture recently and his dad was out of town and the LBS charged him €15 to fix it, not even a new tube ffs now I dunno what you guys pay but I thought that was a bit rich, it was a QR front wheel as well

How long did it take to removed the tube, locate the puncture, prepare the area for repair, apply the patch/make good, then reinstall the tube to the rim and blow it up?

Fifteen minutes total? That would equate to a labour charge of €60 an hour out of which the ship had to cover costs and make a profit. Not too bad IMHO for an on demand instant service.

How much would you charge in the same circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

mamax wrote: »

Many moons ago, I had a puncture about 60km from home. Brought the wrong saddle bag(smaller tubes) found a bike shop in the town nearby and I bought the tube and they installed it all for 7€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

54and56 wrote: »
    How long did it take to removed the tube, locate the puncture, prepare the area for repair, apply the patch/make good, then reinstall the tube to the rim and blow it up?

If I can swap out a tube (not patch), on the side of the road with cold hands and be on the bike again in 3 minutes... I'd expect it to be much quicker in a shop, done by a mechanic.

Advertisement