Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EIR SPORTS

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

"Free" but infact it is built into your broadband price, hence why eir is the most expensive BB package.

Anyone that has Eir sports is paying for it one way or another

Was paying €40 a month for broadband from sky, moved to Eir (who also paid my early termination fee) for €35 a month, so I'm essentially paying €-5 for my sports channels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Was paying €40 a month for broadband from sky, moved to Eir (who also paid my early termination fee) for €35 a month, so I'm essentially paying €-5 for my sports channels

Sigh, yep you are paying a limited offer €35 a month for 12 months for eir

If I were to sign up to Sky BB at the moment it is €30 per month for 12 mounts

Vodafone is €25 per month got 6 months

Sometimes it's just to easy to be right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Apples and oranges - you have to look at what was on offer at the time he signed up. When I signed up I had the option of Eir at €35, Sky at €55 and I think Vodafone was 6 months cheap and 6 months expensive. So at the time, Eir was cheapest, with bonus sports. The year previously I was with Sky, because they were cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Standard prices as of today;

Eir; 35 per month including landline and Eir Sports. 40 euro connection fee.

Sky; 35 per month including landline. 50 euro connection fee.

Vodafone; 32.50 per month, no landline, no connection fee

If you want Eir Sports, it's an absolute no brainer. Eir is by some distance the best value.

If you don't want a landline or Eir Sports, go with VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Standard prices as of today;

Eir; 35 per month including landline and Eir Sports. 40 euro connection fee.

Sky; 35 per month including landline. 50 euro connection fee.

Vodafone; 32.50 per month, no landline, no connection fee

If you want Eir Sports, it's an absolute no brainer. Eir is by some distance the best value.

If you don't want a landline or Eir Sports, go with VF.

Yep so you are basically proving my point, Eir Sports is built into the eir broadband account sub :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

"Free" but infact it is built into your broadband price, hence why eir is the most expensive BB package.

Anyone that has Eir sports is paying for it one way or another
    Yep so you are basically proving my point, Eir Sports is built into the eir broadband account sub :confused:

Sorry, what am I missing? :confused:

All packages are the same price give or take yet Eir give you Eir Sports but your saying there is a charge for it compared to others?
    Is it the €2.50 per month and connection fee compared to Vodafone that your saying is the charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No, I am utterly disproving your point.

Eir is the same price as Sky, except with Sky you don't get Eir Sport.

Eir is only 2.50 more expensive per month than Vodafone, except with Vodafone you don't get Eir Sport or a landline.

Yeeesh

Correct, I am paying this for 12 months on a 12 month contract, so after my contract ends I'll call Eir up and ask for the same deal again. Failing that I'll probably switch to another provider and then back to eir during the "cooling off" period using the wifes details if needed!

Sky is a fiver less but refused point blank to give me the same offer again after my contract ended with them (something which they have no problem doing for my TV service strangely enough)

After 6 months with Vodafone it goes up to €55 a month so I won't entertain that idea

Correct, I am paying this for 12 months on a 12 month contract, so after my contract ends I'll call Eir up and ask for the same deal again. Failing that I'll probably switch to another provider and then back to eir during the "cooling off" period using the wifes details if needed!

Sky is a fiver less but refused point blank to give me the same offer again after my contract ended with them (something which they have no problem doing for my TV service strangely enough)

After 6 months with Vodafone it goes up to €55 a month so I won't entertain that idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but....

I bought the Eir Sport package last November at €270 for the year (or whatever it was). One off payment for 12 months subscription.
    Got a call from an Eir Sport representative on Friday, asking me if I was renewing my contract.
    I said I wasn’t as they lost a load of channels.
    She then informed me that I had to pay one month’s subscription as a penalty for not informing them that I wasn’t renewing my contract! Apparently it’s somewhere in the terms and conditions that if you’re not renewing, you have to inform them before the end of the original contract period!
    I’ve never heard anything so ridiculous in my life!
    Surely the point of a 12 month contract is that it last 12 months, and it’s not up to either party to inform the other side of anything?

Proper pi$$ed me off, but typical of Eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Soarer wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but....

I bought the Eir Sport package last November at €270 for the year (or whatever it was). One off payment for 12 months subscription.
    Got a call from an Eir Sport representative on Friday, asking me if I was renewing my contract.
    I said I wasn’t as they lost a load of channels.
    She then informed me that I had to pay one month’s subscription as a penalty for not informing them that I wasn’t renewing my contract! Apparently it’s somewhere in the terms and conditions that if you’re not renewing, you have to inform them before the end of the original contract period!
    I’ve never heard anything so ridiculous in my life!
    Surely the point of a 12 month contract is that it last 12 months, and it’s not up to either party to inform the other side of anything?

Proper pi$$ed me off, but typical of Eir.
    That's a standard thing with all company's. U need to give 30 days notice to cancel or your 12 month contract turns into a rolling 30 day contract.

But isn’t that with a 12 month contract where you’re paying a monthly fee?

I paid up front the full payment for my 12 months, so surely that’s that?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

But isn’t that with a 12 month contract where you’re paying a monthly fee?

I paid up front the full payment for my 12 months, so surely that’s that?

Ye it does sound like it should inly be 12 months. Ask to see the T&C. I personally wouldn't pay a penny more

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Ye it does sound like it should inly be 12 months. Ask to see the T&C. I personally wouldn't pay a penny more

That’s my stance on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭bren2001

That’s my stance on it too.

Check the T&C's but it typically reverts to a 1 month rolling contract when the initial period expires. It's pretty standard practice across nearly all industries e.g. phones on bill pay, electricity, gas etc.

If they're unwilling to give you your money back, I'd just write it off as lesson learnt.

All those examples you give are examples of where you pay a monthly fee. And yeah, you usually switch to a rolling contract when a normal 12 month “pay monthly” contract ends.
    But I paid upfront for a 12 month service.
    I’ve no direct debit, no monthly payments.
    How can they put me on a completely different contract?
    And how can they take another payment from me if I don’t/haven’t authorised it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

All those examples you give are examples of where you pay a monthly fee. And yeah, you usually switch to a rolling contract when a normal 12 month “pay monthly” contract ends.
    Very similar situation on my end but the cheecky feckers took for another 12 months without any contact!!!
    I immediatly cancelled and had my money returned to me minus 16 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭bren2001

You did authorize it. When you signed up on the original contract it is stated in the T&C's. It's your fault for not reading them. (That's all assuming it is in the original T&C's of course. If it's not in there, of course your entitled to your money back)

A phone is no different. Why put you on a new plan? The exact same thing happens with sky and virgin. The fact you pay monthly is irrelevant really, that's just a different way of structuring payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

I’ll be honest with you, you don’t have a legal leg to stand on no matter how much it frustrates you or people on the internet empathise with you. The contract requires notice regardless of any payment scheduling/type. If you want to see whether they’ll waive it as a gesture of goodwill then lash away and hope for the best but they’ve done nothing ‘wrong’ any more than Virgin Media or whoever when they require notice to end the contract, whether that means the original contractual term extends or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The best thing to do with these annual payment offers is to immediately cancel when you sign up, so you get the 12 months and then it should stop. As someone else said, they're well within their rights to charge, however annoying it might be...

• Advertisement
Advertisement