Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP Bob Willis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,779 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not old enough to see him play either but I certainly did like his contributions in the media in particularly Sky... he seemed to have a very genuine love of the game and a huge presence in the way the game was related to the rest of us from inside the rope to outside.... he had a great way with words and a great bit of ‘devilment’ and wit about his forays into the more controversial topics of the game, an educator and indeed an entertainer too, RIP Bob and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Unfortunately I am old enough to have seen him in his prime.

Botham gets all the credit for Headingly 1981 but that second innings spell of 8-43 was spellbinding.

Always suffered in comparison to the great West Indian fast bowlers of his era but was vital for England throughout his career.

RIP Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Was watching the debate the other morning and they were saying that he was at home recovering from surgery and didn't think too much of it, so, shocked to hear that he has passed away.

Was a super pundit who said it as it was and was very entertaining. He was before my time as an actually cricketer but I will miss him greatly on TV for his views on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Posted in the England thread, but I'll stick it here now.

Bob Willis has passed away, he was only 70 years old. Only vaguely remember watching him play, but saw him on replays of classic series and he was a terrific fast bowler.

I didn't always agree with his punditry, but he was always honest, if it was a rubbish game, he'd say so, there'd be no building it up for viewers (as modern day presenters sometimes do). I think he mellowed as he got older and slightly less prickly. (but still don't think he suffered fools gladly)

RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,779 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can’t not but enjoy watching this. Considering the emotions of the day as things were turning in Bobs and England’s favor he takes wicket after wicket, no celebration and turns around to go back to his mark time and again, only focused on getting the next one out, brilliant watch...some bowler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sad news indeed. As one who was lucky enough to watch that test match unfold as it happened, the memory of Bob Willis' bowling is indelibly stored in my memory. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

VillaMad wrote: »

Was watching the debate the other morning and they were saying that he was at home recovering from surgery and didn't think too much of it, so, shocked to hear that he has passed away.

I heard that too, and wondered. RIP Bob, I'll greatly miss your acerbic views and very evident contempt for Charles Colville.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Strumms wrote: »

Can’t not but enjoy watching this. Considering the emotions of the day as things were turning in Bobs and England’s favor he takes wicket after wicket, no celebration and turns around to go back to his mark time and again, only focused on getting the next one out, brilliant watch...some bowler.

I've never seen any athlete pull a face quite like the one Bob did on that day. Intense concentration doesn't begin to describe it, he was like a man possessed.

Rest In Peace, Bob Dylan Willis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Sad news, really enjoyed him on Sky, and any time the BBC showed the Headingly test repeats from the 89 series on when England were getting destroyed. Botham slogged his way to 149*, but the Aussies were only chasing 130, and Bob won it in the end. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I remember him in his prime with an almost aircraft like run-up. It often seemed that he started running in from the boundary rope gaining speed like an aircraft taking off. He must have been very fit as he must have run miles during a spell!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

RIP Bob

Really enjoyed listening to him on the debate after each day's play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

RIP

saw him bowling against pakistan in 1982 at headingly great sight in full flow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

"Well Charles....." can hear this in my head as bob prepares to make a witty/scathing remark about something from the days play. A great pundit, seemed like a lovely man as well.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

RIP Bob, always enjoyed his analysis and comments.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement