Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

250mb for 9 months @ 44. Back to 59 then. 12 Month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

250mb for 9 months @ 44. Back to 59 then. 12 Month contract.

I was offered the same....never looked back...with voda now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

skippy15 wrote: »
    Ye I got this from them yesterday too 44 for 9months, but made sure they put in the virgin media sports app log in too, also chanced my arm to get a Google mini too as some offers on website, had transfer me through to another section to add that in, but eventually I gave up being on hold for that. Can also get 5e SIM for 5 months too so can add that in too

Go again. Get on to cancel; they've a number of options to press in terms of reasons why; I went with switching to another provider I think or else can't afford it.

Best they'll do is €29.50 for 6 months which is 177 & back up to 59 for the balance which is 354 so a total of 531; a saving of 573 on their opening gambit of 44 x 9 & 59 x 3.

Still Sky/Eir're coming in at 420 (35 for 12 Months) & Vodafone're 25 for 6 & 40 for 6 (Online Only Order) so 150 + 240 = 390.

Now to figure out when exactly to give 'em my 1 Months Notice (am out of contract but apparently it's still a thing?) and place my order with Vodafone; VF're saying 10 working days so I need to plan it right or I could be without service over a weekend or even Christmas/New Year.

Billing period beings 14th of month so next bill's due out 29th of November/New Years Eve Tuesday the 31st of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Great thanks a mill

Only up to 100mb available from other providers. Probably do the job but don't really want to risk it either.

Happy with that for another 12 months anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Got through to Cork Call Centre; posited that both Sky & Eir were offering €35 per month instead of my €59.50 which is going up to €62.50 on 1st of January; they tried fobbing me off by saying with Vodafone (who I hadn't mentioned but was going to look into anyway) & Sky they're both using Eir Network and so I wouldn't get more than 100 MB.

I replied that although I'm on 240 MB (+ Phone....) I'm not coming within an asses roar of that anyway & actually 100 MB'd be nice; with Ookla Speedtest j/n I got 53.16 D/L over Wi-Fi........with Ethernet Cable I might be in the 80s so them trying to do down competition when I'm not getting even the 100 MB they dissed is a bit daft.

So they've suggested €44 for 9 Months (€396) + back up to €59 for remaining 3 (€177) under Naked Broadband 250 MB Package; a total of €573........my current annual bill's €714 but with price increase to €62.50 it'll be €750........

Is that the best I'm likely to get with them???? Worth haggling any more for a further price drop; currently out of contract and with them 10 years next March so've no reason currently not to shop around and can cancel immediately with none of the 1 Months Notice too I think?

If they were to match Sky/Eirs €35 then fair enough; it's only another €9 per month price drop.....how likely is it?

I was out of contract paying €59.00 / month for 240mb broadband & phone, best offer they could give me was 6 months half price so I went through with 30 day cancellation hoping they'd come back with 9 months off.

They didn't and I missed the deadline and got cut off.

Now as an ex customer they are telling me I will have to wait 30 days to avail of any special offer - 250Mb Bare Broadband @ €44 / 6 months €59 / 6 months. = €51.50 / month

If they reconnect me within the 30 days it will cost €59 / month for 12 months.

Have gone with Vodafone for €25 / 6 months and €40 / 6 months until Siro comes into the area. = €32.50 / month

Saving €228.00 per year is a no brainer...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Do you need a landline for Vodafone or one of the other providers? I haven't had one in years, just have the Virgin Media cable.

p15574 wrote: »
    Do you need a landline for Vodafone or one of the other providers? I haven't had one in years, just have the Virgin Media cable.

Yes and no.

If Siro is available at your address no need to worry about a landline.

If it's not available you will need a landline.

Virgin are honestly so annoying. They've messed up my bill every single time since I started using them. They've said they'll fix it, but they won't, every time. I'm 100% leaving them.

Virgin are honestly so annoying. They've messed up my bill every single time since I started using them. They've said they'll fix it, but they won't, every time. I'm 100% leaving them.

And i am delighted with my first voda bill..accurate as it can get...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Never had any billing problems with VM but they're getting expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 comuirch

We had been long time broadband (and short term TV) customers of Virgin until the latest price increase. We'd never had any major issues with the broadband but it was just getting very expensive versus all the other providers. The TV Horizon box was of course beyond terrible. We will never sign up to Virgin TV again under any circumstances.....

(Due to Virgin's effective advertising tactics) we've been a bit paranoid about moving to another provider for broadband as we can only get 80MB at our house via Eir/Sky/Voda. Virgin continued beating this drum on the cancellation call (as they've done every year), and insisted that we would barely be able to stream Netflix as it would be buffering all the time. Needless to say this was all nonsense!

We've been with Sky Broadband for the past two weeks now and I have to say we're finding it considerably better than the Virgin broadband we had previously. Yes the headline speed is only 80MB vs the 240MB we were getting before, but the hardware seems superior, and we've a much better signal throughout the house than with Virgins Hub. We have not had any issues with buffering, or using multiple devices simultaneously.

Bottom line, we were a bit afraid to move from Virgin due to lower speeds and their scare tactics, but having done it I'd highly recommend people look at other providers. Why pay €60 a month for broadband, when there are companies offering it for c€30 a month and you won't notice any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

We went to switch to Vodafone last year as Virgin were offering basically nothing off, signed up, told 2 weeks to install.

Modem arrived next day, great I thought. 2 weeks later still no sign of anything happening. Rang them up and was told it would be happening two days later, still nothing. My Virgin broadband was then cut off and I had to ring vodafone again, told another two days but they'd give me free mobile data (PAYG so could only give me 5GB at a time, went in a flash obviously, but to keep ringing whenever I needed it topped up again). Couldn't see the data going on so rang them back 10mins later only to be told my initial order couldn't be done as EIR had no room in the local exchange.

Asked did I want to keep the order and hold on until something was available but no way of telling how many weeks/months it could be!!!!! Was told they knew this pretty much when I signed up and I was never told, lied to me all along.

Signed back to Virgin under missus maiden name and got new customer deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

comuirch wrote: »
    We had been long time broadband (and short term TV) customers of Virgin until the latest price increase. We'd never had any major issues with the broadband but it was just getting very expensive versus all the other providers. The TV Horizon box was of course beyond terrible. We will never sign up to Virgin TV again under any circumstances.....

(Due to Virgin's effective advertising tactics) we've been a bit paranoid about moving to another provider for broadband as we can only get 80MB at our house via Eir/Sky/Voda. Virgin continued beating this drum on the cancellation call (as they've done every year), and insisted that we would barely be able to stream Netflix as it would be buffering all the time. Needless to say this was all nonsense!

We've been with Sky Broadband for the past two weeks now and I have to say we're finding it considerably better than the Virgin broadband we had previously. Yes the headline speed is only 80MB vs the 240MB we were getting before, but the hardware seems superior, and we've a much better signal throughout the house than with Virgins Hub. We have not had any issues with buffering, or using multiple devices simultaneously.

Bottom line, we were a bit afraid to move from Virgin due to lower speeds and their scare tactics, but having done it I'd highly recommend people look at other providers. Why pay €60 a month for broadband, when there are companies offering it for c€30 a month and you won't notice any difference.
    Id agree to this post, i have 500mb on virgin, my card cant pickup 5ghz on windows, so down to 2.4ghz and average 40-60mbs its more then enough for light use, streaming and few older games, as people usually dont account that router usually more expensive ones give better coverage and can handle bandwidth better, same goes for network wifi cards, if someone uses 4-8yr old one and its max 100MB speed doesnt matter, as it simply cant pull same applies to router- thus in general many either go wired, or have high speed but never use full potential, as hardware is limited on hub 3, in comparison to some 100e+ router

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

The horizon box pulls 30Watts in standby mode according to a tp-link HS110 plug Seems very excessive

pippip wrote:
    Modem arrived next day, great I thought. 2 weeks later still no sign of anything happening. Rang them up and was told it would be happening two days later, still nothing. My Virgin broadband was then cut off and I had to ring vodafone again, told another two days but they'd give me free mobile data (PAYG so could only give me 5GB at a time, went in a flash obviously, but to keep ringing whenever I needed it topped up again). Couldn't see the data going on so rang them back 10mins later only to be told my initial order couldn't be done as EIR had no room in the local exchange.

I was customer for 7 years and finally left them...voda has been great for me and couple of friends who moved with me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭podge3

Vodafone offering a free Google Home Hub at the moment for new signups.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

podge3 wrote: »
    I might consider this offer, I just had a conversation with Virgin Media in regard with the cancellation of my contract, so one more month left with them. over 60 euro for 120mb, is too expensive.

podge3 wrote: »

I have no idea what this could possibly be for or how it might affect or benefit me.

Is there a cash alternative?

Can I have the kiddies meal instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

I rang Virgin yesterday to cancel ,my current bill before rise for broadband is €109.
    Said i was moving they offered me 9 months at €89, i said no .
    They came back with €69 for 9 months then last 3 months at €109.
    So i took it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Just off the phone from VM....

Have BB and Home phone which is never used ( don't actually have a phone ) but was added last year to get 9 months half price at €29.50 and 3 months at full €59... also have 2 sims at €25 each...

I'm both out of contract and had the €3.50 price increase email. Rang them a few weeks ago and was offered the "Naked 250 BB" for 9 months for €44 and the rest at €59. Got all the talk about the better speed, customer service and so on. Told them I'll think about it and do some research...

Rang today and asked to be put through to cancelations as I didn't like the offer given to me before, on hold for 15 minutes came back and said he can do 6 months at half price €29.50 and 6 months at full €59. Told him if he applies the 5 months for €5 on both mobile sims I'll take the offer.

Another 15 minutes on hold, all the talk about the customer service ( I said i'm going to GoMo ) but when I said that I will cancel both SIM's and BB he dropped the price.

Took 40 minutes on the phone but happy to save €200 on the 2 SIM's and to have the BB for €530 for the year.

Have to add that I never had issues with either the BB or the SIM's, but hate the fact that I have to ring every year and haggle with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Have TV (Multiroom), Broadband and Home phone ( which we use) with Virgin. I was out of contract outside of the price increase.

Crap offer via their Whatsapp. Told me to ring up.

Rang them and told them i wanted to cancel due to cost and she asked could she put some offers to me before i cancelled.

First offer was only 15euro off. I politley refused.

Then came back with 6 months half price. Exactly the same cost per year as I've got for the last 3 years. I took it as I'm happy to pay that each year.

Don't know whether there was 9 months half price available. I've never managed to get 9 months.

Call took 5 mins with very little haggling needed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Got caught with the out of contract price. €140 per month for TV & Sky Sports. The deal I was on started at €70 & finished at €116.

Rang up looking for a new deal and the best they could offer was €100, including Sky Sports and that was after reducing the number of channels I had access to, same broadband and I've never used the phone. Told them I would be cancelling soon....That's still quite high. If it was €90 or just below it, I could live with it. Have had numerous problems with service before with VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I would definitely cancel , that’s too much, go shop around , I cancelled, I know they were trying to ring but I just wasn’t bother answering. I got sick of trying to bargain every year , I’m been with them since it was called chours. It got ridiculous with all the price increase every year , I’m with Vodafone now , just a little technical issue at the start but no problems since then,I’m happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

VMs issue my guess would be stake holders who want to profit rising prices for nothing, but as far as UPC days they are falling behind fast- as SIRO in few years will be everywhere, without realizing it - as they are well able to cut slack on prices if pushed by few customers, which in return costs them nothing, as opposed to getting new customers where installation setup/ workers easily would run few hundred to begin with :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Virgin are so badly run. Have a very good broadband product. A terrible terrible tv service that they haven't bothered fixing/replacing for years. They are driving away customers with constant price increases, and whoever is in charge of customer retention should be shot. Feel sorry for the frontline staff working with that management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

noble00 wrote: »
    I would definitely cancel , that’s too much, go shop around , I cancelled, I know they were trying to ring but I just wasn’t bother answering. I got sick of trying to bargain every year , I’m been with them since it was called chours. It got ridiculous with all the price increase every year , I’m with Vodafone now , just a little technical issue at the start but no problems since then,I’m happy enough

Did the same and cancelled after at least 25 years with them. Got Vodafone installed today, very happy with it so far, at almost 1/3 the cost of VM:)
    I also see that VM have removed the Boards "Talk to..." section since yesterday. The boardsie VM reps were the only way to get something done.
    Glad to be rid of this company!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Holly13

Mav11 wrote: »
    Did the same and cancelled after at least 25 years with them. Got Vodafone installed today, very happy with it so far, at almost 1/3 the cost of VM:)
    I also see that VM have removed the Boards "Talk to..." section since yesterday. The boardsie VM reps were the only way to get something done.
    Glad to be rid of this company!!

What time of day did the Vodafone engineer arrive?
    I am supposed to be getting it installed today, but the engineer hasn’t showed up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Holly13 wrote: »
    What time of day did the Vodafone engineer arrive?
    I am supposed to be getting it installed today, but the engineer hasn’t showed up yet.

Hi Holly. Had a slot between 9am to 1pm. Rang me around 10am and arrived about 10.15am. Must say very helpful and efficient!!!!

• Advertisement

In terms of cancelling; when should I do it?

Virgin Bill goes out at the end of the month so this month it's Tuesday the 31st of December, New Years Eve.

But I **think** billing period, and therefore coverage, is from 14th of one month to 14th of next?

So too late to cancel for this month but I want to be gone in January; I also want to time it right with Vodafone to make sure I'm not left without coverage; all I have is a laptop & use it for everything including watching TV.

Advertisement