Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many Weight Watchers points in ... ?-PLEASE USE MAIN STICKY THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭FruttiTutti

Hey All,

Does anyone know how many points are in a medium sized poppy seed bagel? I treat myself to one every Friday and beginning to wonder is it worth it, I usually count is as about 5 points, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's 7 or more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Hey All,

Does anyone know how many points are in a medium sized poppy seed bagel? I treat myself to one every Friday and beginning to wonder is it worth it, I usually count is as about 5 points, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's 7 or more!

It is really alot easier than people seem to think to point things. It takes little effort. If you want to know the points of a poppy bagel there are many things you can do. To give an example of 2.

1) Look up somewhere thats sells them i.e. bagel bar; http://www.thebagelbars.com/BagelsPoppy.html?menuitem=allaboutbagels

this website contains all the nutritional info!

then use this site; http://points.ogo.ms/

to calculate the points.

So, 3.5points!

2) Go into a supermarket and find a similar product and point it!

A standard bagel is 3points as you could tell from your weighwatchers books so 5points was way too high! Be careful when pointing. If you are going to do something you might aswell do it properly. All the information is out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭xxlilyxx

Can anyone tell me wat the points in a home made chicken and mushroom pie is, about the same size as a standard mans wallet. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 princess00

Hey All,

Hi FruttiTutti, It really does depend on the bagel, but from memory itsabagel bagels (which are delicious) are 5 points but they are big bagels, like the dunnes ones (which are 4), I think bagel factory ones are less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Pippacoo

I joined WW earlier this year and now I have reached my goal weight. Foolishly I left WW and now I am worried about maintenance, I was so delighted I did'nt bother to ask before I left.. I was on 21 points. I have asked around and I have been told to add 2-6 points and 4-5 points to my daily allowance. I can't rejoin at my current weight and I don't want to put on weight....getting married in less than three months!! Can anyone help? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

anyone know how many points in a full bottle of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭VanZan

My mum cooked some green back bacon for dinner today. Can anybody tell me how much damage I've probably done pointswise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

foodaholic wrote: »
    anyone know how many points in a full bottle of wine

Far to many!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

7.5 point is normally allocated for a full bottle, but it can depend on the percentage of alcohol, it can range from 11 to 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DigiJem wrote: »
    7.5 point is normally allocated for a full bottle, but it can depend on the percentage of alcohol, it can range from 11 to 14.
    It would be more on sweet wines too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i wouldnt mind 7.5 points but 11 points is huge, ouch

i wouldnt mind 7.5 points but 11 points is huge, ouch
    I think they meant 11-14% alcohol is average, the higher the % the more the points/calories, then the other place points come from is the residual unfermented or add sugars, a dry wine means most sugar is fermented out, or it can be called "brut" like champagne. There is no fat in wine or beers, only in particular liquers like baileys which have fatty cream added, or cocktails with cream.

I made a very long post about alcohol & calories etc here -VERY long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 paulabh1

Im doing it......I'm going back to WW tonight. If I can lose a stone I'll be happy, if I can lose 2 stone I'll be happier and if I can lose 3 stone I'll be as happy as a pig in muck.

It's soooo hard. I'm a chocaholic, I actually need chocaholics anon if anyone knows wheres theres one on.,.....

I'm absolutely dreading standing on the scales tonight, but I know I can do it....I just need to motivate myself and get a grip big time. So lots and lots of encouragement needed and muchly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭journey

Fair play Paula.

I find the WW Rich Toffee bars great - really tasty. I keep them in the fridge so they're nice and chewy and take that little bit longer to eat, and at 1.5 points each they're not going to take up too much of your points allowance.

I did it...I signed up again last night.....hmmmm I'm sure that scales told me porkies..:eek:

Tonight is a busy night for me, home from work eat shower out the door to be at my evening course by 7.15 so was going to get a portion of noodles from the chinese...anyone know off hand how many points are in these? Thanks in advance... (I'll have to buy the eating out guide next week)

paulabh1 wrote: »
    to get a portion of noodles from the chinese...anyone know off hand how many points are in these?
    Noodles are surprisingly high. A full pack of supernoodles done in just water is about 10points. The portions in my local Chinese takeaways are larger than a single pack, probably 1.5 times, so about 15 points. And if it is fried noodles it goes up again.

rubadub wrote: »
    Noodles are surprisingly high. A full pack of supernoodles done in just water is about 10points. The portions in my local Chinese takeaways are larger than a single pack, probably 1.5 times, so about 15 points. And if it is fried noodles it goes up again.

Oh Good Jesus....are you serious rubadub?? Why did I think there was only 5 1/2points in them....hmmm might be just poached egg on toast then for dins tonight....(I hate it when I'm rushing!)

Why did I think there was only 5 1/2points in them
    You might have read a guide saying they were only 5.5points, it would not surprise me, most takeaway stuff is quoted in lower portions on online sites than what I get in the actual takeaway. Chinese takeaways are renowned for their stupidly big portions here. In an actual sit down restaurant you tend to get less.

A half pack of supernoodles would be about 5 points, maybe that is where you saw it. On the pack it usually quotes a half pack as being a serving/portion. I used to eat 2 full packs at a go though! If I got a half pack of noodles from a Chinese I would think it very small.

You can just weigh your food and try and estimate it, it can open your eyes to what is really low in points/calories, many people just presume stuff like noodles are low, or bread. But they tend to eat a lot more grams than they think.

I would say a portion would be 10points minimum in a takeaway, really depends on how much they give though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

From what I remember a packet of Koka Noodles is just 3.5pts, there's less in them than the Supernoodles anyway.

I'll check the pack tonight and confirm the points tomorrow, but pretty sure!

You might have read a guide saying they were only 5.5points, it would not surprise me, most takeaway stuff is quoted in lower portions on online sites than what I get in the actual takeaway. Chinese takeaways are renowned for their stupidly big portions here. In an actual sit down restaurant you tend to get less.

A half pack of supernoodles would be about 5 points, maybe that is where you saw it. On the pack it usually quotes a half pack as being a serving/portion. I used to eat 2 full packs at a go though! If I got a half pack of noodles from a Chinese I would think it very small.

You can just weigh your food and try and estimate it, it can open your eyes to what is really low in points/calories, many people just presume stuff like noodles are low, or bread. But they tend to eat a lot more grams than they think.

I would say a portion would be 10points minimum in a takeaway, really depends on how much they give though.

I'm stunned.....I never thought there would be that many points in them. I'm raging I was really looking forward to them tonight....darn it anyway! I have to buy the eating out guide next week. Thanks for your help......

I'm also a chcoholic and I can feel withdrawal setting in....lol One of the girls in our office brought in a tin of quality street today and I can't believe I haven't touched them yet!. I'm hope this willpower lasts until I'm about 4 stone lighter!!! lol

• Advertisement

From what I remember a packet of Koka Noodles is just 3.5pts, there's less in them than the Supernoodles anyway.

I'll check the pack tonight and confirm the points tomorrow, but pretty sure!
    I think that might be half a pack of low fat koka noodles. I know koka regular noodles use palm oil which is high in saturated fat, and UK WW points only give higher points for sat. fat. They are slightly smaller packs too, maybe 80-85g. This thread is very long now and many items are already pointed. The search function is not working but I find it better to search in google. If you put in "2 or more words in quotes" then google will search for them in that exact order, also using the syntax site:boards.ie will only search on boards.ie, and site:.co.uk would only search UK sites, this is handy for getting results on UK WW points, or posts already here. e.g.

"koka noodles" weightwatcher points site:boards.ie

Is typed into google and you get these hits

I then found these quotes on boards.ie
    the ones in the pack are

Instant Koka Noodles packets: 455 Kcal or 1912 KJ per 100g

fat content is 19.95grms per 100grms

I think it works out as 10 points in WW

got boynne valley to email me, they import them
    (I think those are regular koka ones)
    I'm stunned.....I never thought there would be that many points in them. I'm raging I was really looking forward to them tonight....darn it anyway! I have to buy the eating out guide next week. Thanks for your help
    Well conversely some things you think might be high in points might be quite low. People presume bland stuff is low and nice stuff is high. If you got chicken and spiced it up yourself it is quite low, even if fried in a little oil. The lowest point indian meal is probably tandoori chicken, and some curries are tomato based with little added butter/oil/cream.

If you are going to get a chinese it is best to split it with somebody, or save half for the next day. Too many people eat it out of the carton without even realising it is all compressed in there, or else they pour out a little, and then a little more when that bit is eaten. If you pour out the entire contents of a meal from a chinese it is massive, almost overflowing the plate!, I have a healthy appetite but can rarely finish what I am given, it is like a full on christmas dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭journey

The problem with the WW eating out guide is that most of the stuff doesn't give a weight for the portion sizes. So they have listed Singapore Noodles as 5.5 points but there is nothing to say how big the portion size is. In my experience the Chinese takeaway portion sizes over here are at least twice the size of those in the UK (The singapore chow mein in my chinese comes in a long tray, but when I lived in England it came in a short tray).

If I'm having a chinese I'll usually go for Singapore chow Mein because it's dry and my local chinese uses the thin rice noodles which are lighter than the egg noodles I think, but even then I can't see how half a portion is only 5.5 points. I guesstimate a full tray of singapore noodles at 16 points usually.

I think I'll definitely have a word with my ww leader next week about the chinese noodles, they seem really high compared to what the book is saying.
    This thread is really long rubadub but it's also very helpfull that people like yourself come and help us newbies out with pointing things when we don't have time to read through 37 pages so thanks for your help.
    It would be great if there was a thread with points only in one long post and the post was "stuck" so only moderators could add to when they have time too of course and then people can use it as a help and reference, but I'm sure it would take forever to do! :D

I hate when I don't have time to cook and I'm rushing out that I don't have something already done and pointed. In future on a Tuesday night when I'm going to my course I'll make sure I've dinner already made.

I'll have to start looking up my WW cookbooks again, and get making chunky soup at the weekend for the freezer and chicken casserole too, and the WW spag bol (its just way to easy to make it with a jar).....it's great to have things made and in the freezer.....(Now to just get organised!)

I found this website through a post here http://www.freewebs.com/noreenblackett/recipes.htm and I'm looking at her chicken fried rice receipe it looks so easy and quick but, I'm wondering, it says 6.5points and 2 servings. So is that 6.5 for the 2 servings or 6.5 for 1 serving? Does anyone know? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

I think that might be half a pack of low fat koka noodles. I know koka regular noodles use palm oil which is high in saturated fat, and UK WW points only give higher points for sat. fat. They are slightly smaller packs too, maybe 80-85g. !

God I don't know where I got the 3.5 points for the koka noodles - scrutinised a pack last night but of course no nutritional value on it but I did see the palm oil on it as an ingredient - as you said.

Definitely will be avoiding these from now on, would have often substituted these for potatoes / rice - thanks for the wake up call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Charchar

Blush wines like Rose' have 9-10 % alcohol and less sugar than red wines. In the UK Weight Watchers sells WW wine with 9 % alcohol and gives it 1 point per 4 OZ (or half the points per oz. in their points tables). So . . . by my calculation all blush wines with 9-10 % would be the same. No?

I think I'll definitely have a word with my ww leader next week about the chinese noodles, they seem really high compared to what the book is saying.
    Yes, but the book is probably UK and as journey said the portions tend to be smaller there. Many peoples problem is basic portion control and if you have something that seems too low in points to be true it probably is. The problem really arises if somebody was getting a singapore chow mein every second night in the belief it was 5.5points. They might be fooling themselves conciously or not.
    It would be great if there was a thread with points only in one long post and the post was "stuck" so only moderators could add to when they have time too of course and then people can use it as a help and reference, but I'm sure it would take forever to do!
    There was talk of a sticky before about reading packets and calculating calories etc. I might make a sticky showing typical packages & values and show how to calculate the points/calories yourself, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." There are too many vague questions, "how many points in a slice of cake" etc. I really feel a weighing scales is essential. People are waiting for others to do the work while they could easily do it themselves with some basic knowledge.

At the bottom of the sticky thread I could later add in additional points/calories for foods as they appear in threads. But (as an engineer!) I like to be quite exact in my calcuations, I would prefer to be dealing with branded products, or exact recipies and/or portion sizes.

This thread itself could be stickied, and I can edit the original post to add info in. I might rename it "how many WW points/Calories" too. I would like to see people posting up the calorie info too if they have it, anybody calculating points should have it. I know WW is a simplified version but it would be useful to people following other plans, like calorie counting or other "points" systems based on calories.

That would be a good idea if others came in with different diets and points values or units like unislim do....everything would be a help to us dieters!

I've been so good this week walking by the fridge ignoring the mini bars that jump up and down screaming my name....so I'm hoping I've lost a couple of pounds when I get weighed on Monday night.

I have to say though, in all the times I've joined and rejoined WW I have never measured anything.....especially cheese ( I love cheese and just guess at the weight and points values) But last night I was making veggie wrap for work and decided I would weigh 40g of cheese (2 1/2points value) and I was gobsmacked at how little was in the weighing scales....I'm glad I weighed it now as I would probably have trebbled that amount and given it the same points value. WW is quite shockin! lol
    Yes, it's definitely all about portion sizes too, and planning dinners and meals which I'd never normally do.

But it's great to have a board to come to for advice and help and encouragement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chocolatekelmo

Hi all,
    I am a WW novice faced with the daunting prospect of a meal out that doesnt happen to have a 'points = ' tab at the side of the menu. This is what I plan to eat:

Starter:
    Blue Cheese & Toasted Walnut Salad
    With chilli pear and chardonnay dressing
    Main:
    Pan Fried Brill
    With creamed potato, spinach and caper butter sauce

May not look WW friendly, but believe me this is the best of a bad lot!!

RE above, thinking of avoiding the blue cheese, and just eating the salad on the starter. For the main I can ask that they hold the butter sauce, but will still be eating the creamed potato. How many points will this be do you reckon? Trying my best to save 16 of my 20 for this, but fear its not enough?

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

How many points in 240 calories and 3g sat fat! Can't find my points calculator!!
    Thanks

Rubadub as you say it really is all about portion size, 60g of rice isn't much but it's all you need really, you will eat more but after 60g of rice you won't be hungry!! I havn't measured for a while and it's amazing how you throw a bit more in and the protion size creeps up again!!!! The eye guide isn't always the best, would say that weighing was the main thing that helped me loose my weight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭VanZan

Pembily wrote:
    How many points in 240 calories and 3g sat fat! Can't find my points calculator!!

http://points.ogo.ms says 4 points :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement