Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

“The Book People” Clearance sale plus extra 35% off code

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Website essentially closed down, you can no longer check orders.

http://thebookpeople.co.uk

Had a discussion with them via twitter direct message - that's gone now as they have deleted their social media accounts.

Think of a bar after last orders.

Most staff gone and those left are cleaning the place up. 😂

Any staff that are not needed are gone and that includes social media staff

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ruth123456

So we’ll not get our orders?

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

ruth123456 wrote: »

So we’ll not get our orders?

The Book People
        Sorry, we are no longer taking orders
        Our priority is to fulfil all existing orders whilst ensuring the health and wellbeing of our colleagues and customers alike.

Please be assured that our warehouse team is working hard to ship all existing orders as quickly and safely as possible. Orders may take up to 7 weeks to be delivered.

Unfortunately you can no longer log into your account, but please do not worry. This does not mean your order is not being processed. You will receive a tracking email as soon as your order has been dispatched.

You are still able to contact Customer Services by email at contact_centre@thebookpeople.co.uk or call 0345 602 3030 (Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm) for any questions you may have.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

The Book People

Toby Scott Underwood and Zelf Hussain were appointed as joint administrators of The Book People Limited on 16 December 2019 to manage its affairs, business and property as its agents without personal liability. Both are licensed in the United Kingdom to act as insolvency practitioners by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.

The joint administrators are bound by the Insolvency Code of Ethics which can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/insolvency-practitioner-code-of-ethics.

The joint administrators may act as controllers of personal data as defined by UK data protection law depending upon the specific processing activities undertaken. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP may act as a processor on the instructions of the joint administrators. Personal data will be kept secure and processed only for matters relating to the joint administrators’ appointment. Further details are available in the privacy statement on the PwC.co.uk website or by contacting the joint administrators.

1. Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

My order of the 3rf March shipped yesterday, so things are still moving.

2. Registered Users Posts: 25 veray

veray wrote: »
        Ordered 28th Feb, package now with Currier for the last 2 days. Waiting.

Quick update, ready to collect at parcel motel

3. Advertisement
      4. Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

veray wrote: »
        Quick update, ready to collect at parcel motel

And mine. Just in the nick of time to entertain the kids for the weekend!

5. Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

I ordered to irish adress...still nothing anyway

6. Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

devil-80 wrote: »
        I ordered to irish adress...still nothing anyway

Me too an irish Address. Got no email yet.
        Waiting 5 weeks now so will wait for the 7 weeks and see.
        I already got slated on here asking about the orders so I'm just waiting now and I presume they will send it when it's ready I did order a lot too.
        Pity they are closing down we ordered from them in the past and they have a great selection of books.

7. Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Think I read earlier in the thread that at least one person who ordered for parcel motel delivery got their order split into multiple deliveries so thay had to pay the parcel motel fee multiple times?

Our order was split between 7 debits on our credit card, does this mean we will get 7 delivers to parcel motel does anyone know? Was having a chat via twitter direct message but that's stopped and history gone as they have closed the account.

Our original order was for 7 books in one transaction.

8. Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My delivery was split in two but wouldn’t have fit in one box so can understand it.

But one disappointed child here today, one of the box sets I ordered was the Mr Men collection, meant to be 52 books. And instead I got a set of mr men pencils and rubbers. Chances of getting the right books now are probably zilch. Have contacted them anyway but will see.

9. Advertisement
      10. Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

in2dark wrote: »
        Let us know pls if you get any update.

I ordered on the 4th and will also update.
        Do they fulfill the order in the whole for those who got them shipped?

I ordered on the 3rd of March

11. Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Pity they are closing down we ordered from them in the past and they have a great selection of books.

Online didn't suit their business model.

Previously sales agents left a box of books in an office.
        Office workers picked some and agents then collected the remainder, took their commission and paid book people.
        No packing or delivery costs.

They recorded decent profits.

They move online, but keep the old pricing model. They did massive amount of orders, but gave far too many discounts and free shipping so found it near impossible to make a profit despite £50m turnover.

Unfortunately they made the simple error of not calculating all of the costs. Operating online is not as cheap as it seems.

Estimated Loss is in region of £10-15m

12. Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

sillysocks wrote: »
        My delivery was split in two but wouldn’t have fit in one box so can understand it.

But one disappointed child here today, one of the box sets I ordered was the Mr Men collection, meant to be 52 books. And instead I got a set of mr men pencils and rubbers. Chances of getting the right books now are probably zilch. Have contacted them anyway but will see.

Ah bollix. Ordered the Mr Men collection too so probably won't get them now either.

13. Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭R11

Brego888 wrote: »
        Ah bollix. Ordered the Mr Men collection too so probably won't get them now either.

Yeh, me too!

14. Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Ah it might have just been mispicked by someone in the warehouse. I ordered the same set in Little Miss and that was fine.

15. Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

Still no updates yet... Ordered on the 4th and nada...

16. Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Think I read earlier in the thread that at least one person who ordered for parcel motel delivery got their order split into multiple deliveries so thay had to pay the parcel motel fee multiple times?

Our order was split between 7 debits on our credit card, does this mean we will get 7 delivers to parcel motel does anyone know? Was having a chat via twitter direct message but that's stopped and history gone as they have closed the account.

Our original order was for 7 books in one transaction.

I placed an order for 20 kids books/sets on 3 March and chose to have delivered to AddressPal UK to avail of the free delivery. I was charged just the once for all items so no separate transactions.

My order has been split into five batches - I've gotten three individual sets so far in mid March and the rest of my order has been split into two boxes - and according to the Hermes tracking emails, those were delivered to the UK AddressPal hub earlier today so hopefully they will be in the post office for me to collect later in the week. Bit of a pain paying AddressPal five times but that's the risk you take when using a parcel forwarding service and I got a lot of books for my little one for half nothing so it still works out as a good deal.

I've gotten updates and tracking information for every dispatch but they went straight into my junk folder so maybe check your junk folders just in case.

17. Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭donegal12

I ordered on the 4th march and got an email today to say they on the way.

18. Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

donegal12 wrote: »
        I ordered on the 4th march and got an email today to say they on the way.

Ireland address or UK?

19. Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just checked my email, ordered on 03 March and nothing yet

20. Advertisement
      21. Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Caranica wrote: »

Ditto

22. Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Caranica wrote: »

Same here. Has anyone that ordered 3rd March received an update/email/any of their order?

23. Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

I ordered on the 3rd March and I got notification from Hermes it was to be delivered to AP yesterday, 2 boxes I believe.

24. Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DrFunkatron

Sup08 wrote: »
        Same here. Has anyone that ordered 3rd March received an update/email/any of their order?

Nothing for me just yet anyway, ordered to an Irish address

25. Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Could it be just that.
        I ordered to my address too

26. Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭craggy2

Nope, nothing as yet, ordered 3rd also

27. Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭R11

Sup08 wrote: »

Nothing. Ordered 3rd March to home address. It seems they're prioritising UK deliveries (those who used PM etc) as they're getting emails at least....
        I guess we just keep waiting for a few more weeks. It's 5 weeks since I ordered, somebody here said to give it up to 7.

28. Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭donegal12

My order 4th march was to a northern address.

29. Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Got something from the uk yesterday it had been in An Post Dublin depot since last Wednesday according to the tracking.

30. Advertisement
      31. Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

R11 wrote: »
        Nothing. Ordered 3rd March to home address. It seems they're prioritising UK deliveries (those who used PM etc) as they're getting emails at least....
        I guess we just keep waiting for a few more weeks. It's 5 weeks since I ordered, somebody here said to give it up to 7.

I'm in the same boat - ordered on 3rd March to home address, have heard nada.

Advertisement