Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest fragrance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

Right now I have...

Lacoste - Red
    Givenchy - Play
    Hugo Boss - XY
    Hugo Boss - Bottled Night
    Armani - Diamonds
    Armani - Mania
    Armani - For Him/He
    CK - Crave
    CK - Contradiction
    Ralph Lauren - Romance(Original)
    FCUK - Connect
    D&G - Masculine
    A tiny tiny bit of JPG Le Male

I like to have a variety so you can multiple compliments off the wimmins on your different scent when you cross paths:D I actually couldn't pick a favourite from that, different situations warrant different smells I suppose.

Favourite ones I owned but must buy again are probably

Armani - Black Code
    Lacoste - Hot Play
    Boss - Bottled
    Diesel - Fuel For Life

Hearing good things about Issey Miyake and Tom Ford as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Just got Hugo boss as a gift, the one in the silver "ball style" container.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Wouldn't be into perfums but like a few different aftershaves.

Drakkar Noir
    Givenchy Play
    Issey Miyake
    Paco Rabanne XS

Drakkar probably being my favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

phoenix833 wrote: »
    Right now I have...

Lacoste - Red
    Givenchy - Play
    Hugo Boss - XY
    Hugo Boss - Bottled Night
    Armani - Diamonds
    Armani - Mania
    Armani - For Him/He
    CK - Crave
    CK - Contradiction
    Ralph Lauren - Romance(Original)
    FCUK - Connect
    D&G - Masculine
    A tiny tiny bit of JPG Le Male

I like to have a variety so you can multiple compliments off the wimmins on your different scent when you cross paths:D I actually couldn't pick a favourite from that, different situations warrant different smells I suppose.

Favourite ones I owned but must buy again are probably

Armani - Black Code
    Lacoste - Hot Play
    Boss - Bottled
    Diesel - Fuel For Life

Hearing good things about Issey Miyake and Tom Ford as well.

Bloody hell. Considering they are going off you must be latching it on every day?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Been using Davidoff Coolwater for the past year. Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Currently using 'Joop: Go'

Sister bought it for me last Christmas and it smells quite nice actually. Have a bottle of Hugo Boss: Bottled Night which also smells nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Only one I've ever worn is Boss Orange for Men. Have gotten complimented on it in a club before, so it does the job I guess. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

There is a lot to be said for the perfumes developed by Serge Lutens, notably his Fille en Aiguilles. The SF writer and academic China Miéville is one proponent of the line: "Serge Lutens makes perfumes that unman me. (Not much to achieve, admittedly.) 'Fille En Aiguilles' is like roughhousing with an uncouth, sexy, androgynous pine spirit."

See:

http://www.panmacmillan.com/displayPage.asp?PageID=8119

Try House of Fraser for them, or buy online from their Paris HQ.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

From a girls pov on guys fragrances...Armani Mania=weak at the knees :)
    Buy it, buy it all of you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I've been alternating between 'La Nuit De L'homme' by YSL & 'L'eau D'issey' by Issey Miyake for 2 years now. Both beautiful fragrances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Can anyone tell me is there anywhere around Dublin that has alot of available testers?The problem I find with trying to find a new scent is that the majority of places like pharmacies etc have only a few of the more common brands out to test smell so I generally end going for something tried and tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can anyone tell me is there anywhere around Dublin that has alot of available testers?The problem I find with trying to find a new scent is that the majority of places like pharmacies etc have only a few of the more common brands out to test smell so I generally end going for something tried and tested.
    Brown Thomas always has a large amount of testers and they'll have the strips for you to test them on instead of having to put it on your wrist and causing cross contamination when you try a different one.

Anywhere else?

Brown Thomas tends to bring me out in a nervous rash.

I get paranoid they can smell the commoner off of me.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

Hugo Boss- Soul.

Anywhere else?

Brown Thomas tends to bring me out in a nervous rash.

I get paranoid they can smell the commoner off of me.

lol - I don't know anywhere else that'd have that many testers tbh - I was getting my aftershave at the airport for the past year but before that BT was my go to place to check out new aftershaves.

Commoner or not if you've money they'll take it off you :)

Out in Dundrum, House of Fraser are very free with their testers. Even better, though, is the fact that they will give out sample bottles - 5ml - if you look like a potentially genuine customer, and ask for a particular one or a particular brand (especially one of the unusual or more expensive ones) in a confident voice. And don't worry about coming across as a commoner: nobody in trade can tell any more who has money, or who once had it but lost it in Anglo and is just keeping up appearances. And your money is as good to them as anyone else's.

Look the salespeople confidently in the eye and ask for what you want. You shouldn't dream of buying any perfume product until you have had a chance to experience it for at least a couple of hours, to see how the different notes develop or fade as time goes by. Indicate, if necessary, that you are going to 'wear' it around the Centre for a while. If you seem knowledgeable like that, they will be at your feet.

Hugo Brady Brown

Out in Dundrum, House of Fraser are very free with their testers. Even better, though, is the fact that they will give out sample bottles - 5ml - if you look like a potentially genuine customer, and ask for a particular one or a particular brand (especially one of the unusual or more expensive ones) in a confident voice. And don't worry about coming across as a commoner: nobody in trade can tell any more who has money, or who once had it but lost it in Anglo and is just keeping up appearances. And your money is as good to them as anyone else's.

Look the salespeople confidently in the eye and ask for what you want. You shouldn't dream of buying any perfume product until you have had a chance to experience it for at least a couple of hours, to see how the different notes develop or fade as time goes by. Indicate, if necessary, that you are going to 'wear' it around the Centre for a while. If you seem knowledgeable like that, they will be at your feet.

Hugo Brady Brown

Emmm thanks,but the commoner quip was said very much tongue in cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

PaulieC wrote: »
    lol - I don't know anywhere else that'd have that many testers tbh - I was getting my aftershave at the airport for the past year but before that BT was my go to place to check out new aftershaves.

Commoner or not if you've money they'll take it off you :)

Dundrum, as already mentioned. They're not really pushy there. Arnotts have an improved, more extensive fragrance department from when I was last wandering around there. Their Creed range was pretty good. Clery's too. These few would have most of what was already listed on this thread.

Emmm thanks,but the commoner quip was said very much tongue in cheek.
    I call Bullshít on that :pac:

You are right Paulie,I actually feel like this when Im in it......

steptoe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Besides ebay what is the best online shop. When I say best I mean cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversee Du Bosphere and Fou D'absinthe are whats floating my boat at the moment.
    Have a few samples from Serge Lutens i am trying out just sampled Borneo and Vetiver Oriental the past few days, interesting fragrances.

Still been a while since i bought a full bottle of something, i prefer decants.

Seriously though forget the generic gaa dressing room smells you get in boots, they are always very synthetic and headache inducing and instantly forgettable.

padi89 wrote: »
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversee Du Bosphere and Fou D'absinthe are whats floating my boat at the moment.
    Have a few samples from Serge Lutens i am trying out just sampled Borneo and Vetiver Oriental the past few days, interesting fragrances.

Still been a while since i bought a full bottle of something, i prefer decants.

Seriously though forget the generic gaa dressing room smells you get in boots, they are always very synthetic and headache inducing and instantly forgettable.

Serge Lutens has a new one - De Profundis - in a purplish hue, and with a lot of carnation notes in it; very fine and, I think, available in Ireland. Quite dark and nocturnal, in some respects, but very sophisticated. There is also a great one - Ambre Sultan - which is definitely to be had in House of Fraser, as I got a sample there last weekend.

The fact that many of them work so well on women and on men is interesting and, as long as only one of you wears it at a time, a space-saver on the dressing-table of an evening. (Or two men. Or two women. All broadminded here, I know!)

Arnotts also stock some of their stuff, if I remember correctly.

Hugo Brady Brown

Serge Lutens has a new one - De Profundis - in a purplish hue, and with a lot of carnation notes in it; very fine and, I think, available in Ireland. Quite dark and nocturnal, in some respects, but very sophisticated. There is also a great one - Ambre Sultan - which is definitely to be had in House of Fraser, as I got a sample there last weekend.

The fact that many of them work so well on women and on men is interesting and, as long as only one of you wears it at a time, a space-saver on the dressing-table of an evening. (Or two men. Or two women. All broadminded here, I know!)

Arnotts also stock some of their stuff, if I remember correctly.

Hugo Brady Brown

I've only started out on Serge Lutens fragrances, picked up 7/8 during the week along with others, unfortunately Ambre Sultan was not in stock at the time but will get it again. I pick up my samples online as i don't live in Dublin.

padi89 wrote: »
    I've only started out on Serge Lutens fragrances, picked up 7/8 during the week along with others, unfortunately Ambre Sultan was not in stock at the time but will get it again. I pick up my samples online as i don't live in Dublin.

This sounds interesting. How do you get the samples online? Do you have to pay for them?

Hugo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

CK Man.
    Yes it's cheap, yes it's common.

But it's bloody delish. :D

This sounds interesting. How do you get the samples online? Do you have to pay for them?

Hugo

Hi, yes i pay for them now. I used to email companies before and had lots of samples sent. Too many people do it now so they stopped doing it or charge but sometimes its a minimal fee.
    There are a few places to get samples and decants.

Perfumedcourt is in the states does samples and decants and Luckyscent is another.
    Senteurs is in the UK but has gotten expensive now
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/ is great, samples are very generous and come in atomizers and presentation is excellent.
    Haven't used these but they are recommended http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/

And you can't beat this place for decants
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

At least you can try these at your own pace besides going in and out of shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'm thinking of getting A&F Fierce after seeing the reviews it got here :D would like to get a tester first though... [edit] smelt Armani Mania today and it's on the christmas list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 in your face

Comme Des Garcons - Wonderwood & YSL - Homme Libre
    have both garnered positive reaction thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭mcw92

Dancor wrote: »
    My most recent one is Paco Rabane ''1 Million'' It comes in the gold bottle, very nice.

Anyone know cheap places for this? cheapest ive seen is 48€ for a 50ml bottle.

Advertisement