Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today something made me realise I was getting older

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A remark a nurse said the other day made me feel younger again.

I was getting the seasonal flu jab. The nurse asked was I ok with injections, I'm grand with them. But putting the plaster on afterwards she say's 'red heads always bleed more'.

Now its been awhile since I've been recognized as a red head so I'm guessing there's some still left.. One of the things I missed most the older I got was my shock of red hair, I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

When 3plus sent me notification of a presale for someone called Anne-Marie.

Playing the 3 Arena and I've literally never heard of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No it isnt for someone only in their 40s.

ah well true indeed. lol...I keep tryin g and hoping but go down and down. Glad there are two strong men to help me in and out of the ferry.... ;)My knees ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm thinking of getting one of those garden kneeler/stools. It would be handy for loading the washing machine or getting at a low press. I have a sticky knee and need something to hold on to to get back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I looked at the back of my hand one summer and thought to myself - wow, loads of freckles this year. That winter, the freckles were still there and I realised they were liver spots. Then the year I spent squinting, asking myself why my eyes were always tired when I wanted to read. Eventually I accepted that my eyes weren't tired, but that I needed reading glasses.

I tend to treat infirmities of old age as negotiations with death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

madmaggie wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting one of those garden kneeler/stools. It would be handy for loading the washing machine or getting at a low press. I have a sticky knee and need something to hold on to to get back up again.

That's a great idea, I might get a second one for indoors, the one that lives in the garden is always full of booby trap water and snails.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I looked at the back of my hand one summer and thought to myself - wow, loads of freckles this year. That winter, the freckles were still there and I realised they were liver spots.

This made me smile... My fingers are now bending at the top joint, ever more inwards.. over and over they go.. used to make folk smile when they saw me knitting at the market stall..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    (Polishes fingernails on shoulder!)

who's nails and who's shoulder? and I am not sure that is polishing them as to me it looks like you are stropping them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rubecula wrote: »
    who's nails and who's shoulder? and I am not sure that is polishing them as to me it looks like you are stropping them

I posted that so long ago........I forgot why! :confused::D

no idea why it showed up so late on my 'puter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

no idea why it showed up so late on my 'puter

Well, the thread is "something made me realise I was getting older". :)

Lately I seem to get more muscle strain from lifting or hauling than I used to.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Today was a day that made me feel like I was in my mid-90s, and not quite right in the head.

1. I kept mixing up my words (Spooner would have been proud), and I couldn't remember the word "glaucoma" so I had to ask the internet.
    2. I was supposed to go to the post office and then to a specific shop in the next town to get some presents for Christmas, and before leaving the house I had to be reminded to go to the shops, because the thought had gone right out of my head.
    3. I lost track of the number of times I said the same thing to the same person at 10-15 minutes intervals. :/
    4. My eyesight today is shot.
    5. At one stage, as I was about to get out of a parking spot, I had to think long and hard about what side of the road I was supposed to be on.
    6. I forgot what else I was going to say, but I know I had something else to add.

For the time being, I'm going to blame chronic sleep deprivation. :/ If I catch up on some lost sleep tonight and I'm better tomorrow, grand, otherwise I think a visit to the doctor might be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

New Home wrote: »
    Today was a day that made me feel like I was in my mid-90s, and not quite right in the head.

1. I kept mixing up my words (Spooner would have been proud), and I couldn't remember the word "glaucoma" so I had to ask the internet.
    2. I was supposed to go to the post office and then to a specific shop in the next town to get some presents for Christmas, and before leaving the house I had to be reminded to go to the shops, because the thought had gone right out of my head.
    3. I lost track of the number of times I said the same thing to the same person at 10-15 minutes intervals. :/
    5. At one stage, as I was about to get out of a parking spot, I had to think long and hard about what side of the road I was supposed to be on.
    6. I forgot what else I was going to say, but I know I had something else to add.

For the time being, I'm going to blame chronic sleep deprivation. :/ If I catch up on some lost sleep tonight and I'm better tomorrow, grand, otherwise I think a visit to the doctor might be in order.

Are you sure you're not in your mid 90's :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Uhh.... I forgot...

:pac:

New Home wrote: »

Similar happened a friend of ours and it turned out she had a potassium shortage, so some such, which was quickly remedied.

Similar happened a friend of ours and it turned out she had a potassium shortage, so some such, which was quickly remedied.

Bananas it is! Thanks, S. :)

Funny that the remedy for not going bananas is indeed bananas. :D

I had this jar opening problem recently. There was a speck of sunshine about the other day and I felt just grrrrrrrreat! Right, I'm going to start spring cleaning, sez I. Cleaning out some cupboards I found an old jar of mincemeat, you know the stuff you over-buy at Christmas and never use. Could I open it? Not a bit! Twisted and turned, grimaced and grunted, skin coming off my hands, blood vessels exploding on my neck, not a budge. I left it back on the shelf.....as you do. The next day I attacked it once more.....couldn't move it for love nor money. Handed it to himself. 'Open that for me', sez I. Well, he twisted and turned, grimaced and.....you get the picture. Total failure. I returned the jar to the shelf once more. The next day I held the top of the jar under the hot water tap, dried my hands, dried the jar, twisted it and.......it came off! Tah. Dah. As they say. :)
    (Polishes fingernails on shoulder!)

Ahh, now I remember! Way back in April it was. :) Although it could have been referring to something else I suppose. Heaven knows.

10th of april I believe jellybaby no idea why it showed up as the last post in the thread though

10th of april I believe jellybaby no idea why it showed up as the last post in the thread though

'twas The Glitch Before Christmas... :eek:

...or a very belated, very surprising April's Fool. :pac:

maybe I will hold off posting on Boards for a bit...

• Advertisement

Sorry about your medical woes Looksee. Hope you will be feeling better very soon and back home in the bosom of your family for Christmas. Health is definitely the most important thing, no matter what age we are. I lose words all the time, its most annoying.

I think I may be getting past it when it comes to some Boards forums. I was reading through After Hours and, quite frankly, what now passes for fun or humour saddens me. Everything has become vulgar and foul. Discussions are more aggressive and insults or slights that would not been acceptable a few years ago are now commonplace. The senseless topics being raised and the, seemingly, inability of younger people to deal with common everyday situations or interactions are becoming alien to me. Even five years ago I could go with the flow but now I'm wondering if I need to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I think I may be getting past it when it comes to some Boards forums. I was reading through After Hours and, quite frankly, what now passes for fun or humour saddens me. Everything has become vulgar and foul. Discussions are more aggressive and insults or slights that would not been acceptable a few years ago are now commonplace. The senseless topics being raised and the, seemingly, inability of younger people to deal with common everyday situations or interactions are becoming alien to me. Even five years ago I could go with the flow but now I'm wondering if I need to look elsewhere.

I'm thinking similar, some of the gibberish in After Hours is beyond belief, I'm only mid 40s but I despair with the goings on there also

Mod Could the discussion on After Hours be taken to feedback please. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Edit - can I qualify the above a bit by saying that Srameen's post was reasonable as a 'makes me feel older' post, but there is a general rule that forums don't get into discussions about other forums, so for that reason it would be better to leave it as an observation rather than becoming a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,778 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A major cycling race was won by someone born in ... 2000.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Everytime i feel a fart coming along I always wonder will I follow through.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm only in my early fifties but the grey haired woman in the pantene hair ad is to me the most attractive of the 4 women in the ad.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement