Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't understand your point? I have no idea where SSE is from

I was pointing out that the LOI sponsors Airtricity (owned by British company SSE) which proves sport is international and enjoyed worldwide-I enjoy watching Donegal GAA and am always being asked about my replica training top around Birkenhead.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

So what?
    I’m not from the US, but wear US clothing.
    Not from Italy, but regularly eat Italian cuisine.
    I’m Irish, but will drink a Swedish cider.
    Am I only limited to Irish clothing/food/drink as well as football?

What is it with so many LOI fans
    What's a "LOI fan"?

Is it someone who supports an actual League/20 football clubs and not an individual football club? I'm pretty certain there is not one person in Ireland or the entire world who supports all 20 teams participating in the LOI so anybody who throws out the "LOI Fan" jab hasn't a notion of the shyte they are typing about

It's the exact same as calling actual Liverpool or Man Utd fans from these areas as not Liverpool or Man Utd fans but as "English Premier League Fans" and demonstrates ignorance to the actual reality that alot of football fans who get off their arses and support/live/breath actual local football clubs and not football leagues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Omackeral wrote: »
    I think the people missing those type of moments are the ones missing out to be very honest.
    Not at all. Your moments and preferences are yours. To each their own.

Ohmeha wrote: »
    What's a "LOI fan"?
    Relax, it’s not a jab. It’s the typical LOI fan (pick any of the teams) that starts one of these threads, with no actual honesty in their question. You know, the overly aggressive ones in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

But do you actually care if I support Liverpool, and the reasons why I support them? I didn't get that from your posts but I keep getting it from others

No I don't. And I don't agree with people saying you're not a football fan either. That's absolute bollox. At the same time, I do think people who go to games regularly and contribute towards their club financially and vocally are ''better'' supporters for want of a better word.

As I've said on here before, I'd be delighted if people took an Irish team as well as an English one. For the so-called Best Fans in the World we actively dismiss our own club teams for their relative mediocrity while we drip in patriotism every 8 or 10 years at a major tournies for the national team, despite the definite mediocrity there. That's without the hypocrisy of hating 'de brits' while thinking of their teams as our own.

• Advertisement

Relax, it’s not a jab. It’s the typical LOI fan (pick any of the teams) that starts one of these threads, with no actual honesty in their question. You know, the overly aggressive ones in particular.

There's a debate and discussion to be had. Most of it is reasonable. There are dopes on either side of the coin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭8-10

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I was pointing out that the LOI sponsors Airtricity (owned by British company SSE) which proves sport is international and enjoyed worldwide-I enjoy watching Donegal GAA and am always being asked about my replica training top around Birkenhead.:cool:

Still not understanding how this relates to what I said. I get the feeling you're being sarcastic but I'm missing something

I've seen these discussions numerous times

When I hear the argument about standard of football, I always think of the bigger crowds in league 1, 2 and the conference. That's proper support, supporting your team knowing chances of ever getting near the premier league or championship is a pipe dream

I was told 210 euro for a season ticket was too expensive, a 15 euro match day ticket was too expensive. Same people go to London for Chelsea and arsenal and blow double it in 1 weekend, so the money argument is nonsense

The atmosphere argument, again it's a catch 22, if people refuse to support how can the place be full to create the atmosphere

Regarding the LOI fans resentment, it is valid. Our national team is in a shambles, we cant rely on England for talent. We need to grow the league to support youth development and progress, this can only be done through the league, again people need to support the league for this to be effective

There is loads of leagues in Europe which get bigger crowds despite competing with the major leagues for support base.

I support liverpool and cork city. Would I cry for liverpool no I wouldn't. It was seriously embarrassing watching plastic units fans cheering on city so liverpool wouldn't win the league. Fact is we don't fully understand the history of the rivalries. It's also a joke hearing irish arsenal fans saying they hate spurs, it's just stupid

At least LOI rivalries are geography based and not sunshine supporters.

I would always vouch for LOI,its the only way our league, youth development and national team can progress

FWIW I think the season ticket prices here are great. I just don't feel connected enough to a team, my closest local team or other, to justify more than the odd game here or there. But it's not prices or standard keeping me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Still not understanding how this relates to what I said. I get the feeling you're being sarcastic but I'm missing something

I think you should be able to follow which ever team you like-regardless of wherever they're from,be it Ireland,Scotland or England etc.-if you prefer watching/supporting Liverpool that's fine imo.
    The point I was making about LOI sponsors airtricity is they are foreign owned which shows that sport is actually international and shouldn't be the exclusivity of one country.

• Advertisement

That's proper support, supporting your team knowing chances of ever getting near the premier league or championship is a pipe dream
    If your team is at the top, it’s not proper support?
    What a load of bollox :D
    Regarding the LOI fans resentment, it is valid.
    No, no it’s not. How other people spend their time/money/life is not your concern. Focusing on the faults in the league is where things should start.
    At least LOI rivalries are geography based and not sunshine supporters.
    Firstly, not true. A Cork City supporter who’s a friend of mine wouldn’t go to his actual “local” team in Ballincollig.
    Secondly, your attitude is one of the reasons I stopped going to Cork City games; listening to this this of guff is all too common place.
    BTW, I still support my own actual local team that I played with. But up to others if they don’t.

If your team is at the top, it’s not proper support?
    What a load of bollox :D

No, no it’s not. How other people spend their time/money/life is not your concern. Focusing on the faults in the league is where things should start.

Firstly, not true. A Cork City supporter who’s a friend of mine wouldn’t go to his actual “local” team in Ballincollig.
    Secondly, your attitude is one of the reasons I stopped going to Cork City games; listening to this this of guff is all too common place.
    BTW, I still support my own actual local team that I played with. But up to others if they don’t.

No I never said if your team is at the top it's not proper support, deliberately missing the point

I am not telling you how to spend your money, again looking at what I said totally out of context

And lastly, your local team as in msl or aul? That's a nonsense statement, the local LOI team in Ballincollig is Cork City and again you deliberately misinterpret what I am saying. Same goes for GAA and rugby, ie being Cork and Munster

Its actually this type of defence is what makes Irish soccer supporters completely hypocritical. Boo the English national side and then go out and support an english team and use the argument it's full of international players.

And by the way I don't care if your a man united or Luton town fan, I just find the whole 'I wouldn't cross the road to watch that ****e even if i got in for free' is what's wrong with irish people in general. Scotland with a similar population and a much worse national side, get decent crowds in their premiership, its called a bit of pride.

I.remember chatting to Scottish and English guys and they couldn't understand the irish mentality of supporting English and Scottish teams like they grew up in the area.

It's like the fools signing go on home British soldiers in their Celtic and liverpool tops

• Registered Users Posts: 4 old goat

I'm probably the typical lad this is aimed at. I'm from Kerry. Hour to airport, hour and a half flight, hour to stadium. Home next day. Do I go to Cork or limerick instead, to watch a team I really couldn't give a f**k about.

old goat wrote: »
    I'm probably the typical lad this is aimed at. I'm from Kerry. Hour to airport, hour and a half flight, hour to stadium. Home next day. Do I go to Cork or limerick instead, to watch a team I really couldn't give a f**k about.

Wouldn't blame you in the slightest for feeling distant from Cork or Limerick. Would you give a Kerry team a chance if they entered the LOI structure? Would they have to be from your own town? Would a team from Tralee branded as Kerry Dynamos (for example) be palatable to you? Do you reckon there'd be an appetite for LOI soccer in the Kingdom. I'd love to see a team from there enter the pyramid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

We need a club in every county . Big counties like Kerry mayo no representation in the league .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The argument from PL fans that LOI fans should follow their "most local" team rather than just "a local" team, is pretty amusing. Total missing of the point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Bateman wrote: »
    The argument from PL fans that LOI fans should follow their "most local" team rather than just "a local" team, is pretty amusing. Total missing of the point

PL fans arent the ones saying that, PL fans say follow whatever club makes you happy. If supporting your club improves the quality of your life then continue to support them, regardless of wheter it's a local club, foreign club or both

Bateman wrote: »

I think you mean LOI fans are doing that. I was told that my team is not Liverpool but is actually the one closest to where I live by a LOI fan on this thread.

As if I should just give up on my team and support a random one based on proximity and nothing else because the unwritten rules of supporters seems to say so

I think you mean LOI fans are doing that. I was told that my team is not Liverpool but is actually the one closest to where I live by a LOI fan on this thread.

As if I should just give up on my team and support a random one based on proximity and nothing else because the unwritten rules of supporters seems to say so

My God, what a ridiculous comment. All english fans support their local teams to the most part, hence why the lower leagues get consistently big crowds. It's not the quality argument here it's the loyalty and pride of their local team. You don't see born and bred cork people supporting dublin football cos they are dominating.

Your argument here is poor and is a bit desperate to defend following an english team and not your LOI based team. Don't support your LOI team, I don't really care, but your defending of your support for a team that you have zero connection to is laughable. At least supporting cork city you do have a connection being from the area and singing songs for cork.

In the 50s and 60s and even into the 70s the LOI got great crowds until the rise of tv, so this nonsense about connections to a foreign team is a joke

My God, what a ridiculous comment. All english fans support their local teams to the most part, hence why the lower leagues get consistently big crowds. It's not the quality argument here it's the loyalty and pride of their local team. You don't see born and bred cork people supporting dublin football cos they are dominating.

Your argument here is poor and is a bit desperate to defend following an english team and not your LOI based team. Don't support your LOI team, I don't really care, but your defending of your support for a team that you have zero connection to is laughable. At least supporting cork city you do have a connection being from the area and singing songs for cork.

In the 50s and 60s and even into the 70s the LOI got great crowds until the rise of tv, so this nonsense about connections to a foreign team is a joke

What argument is poor? That I have a connection to a foreign team?

Sorry mate but I do. It's my team, I refer to Liverpool as "we", and I don't support a LOI team despite living in Dublin.

I'm not desperate to defend that, I'm trying to explain how it is. If you can't understand having a connection to a team you support, or can't understand why you might support a team that isn't as the end of the road, then this is the thread for you, it's about why we choose to support English teams.

And the answer is many many different valid reasons from family, being born there and moving, Irish players playing there, advertisements and promotion of the league and teams in Irish and English media, success and historical success, ease of watching games on TV, liking the colour of the jersey, fancying the attractive players....whatever.

There's many reasons. It's each to their own. What you like to do is not necessarily what others like to do. Some of us get HUGE joy from supporting an English team.

And guess what, go to USA or Australia or Malaysia or China or Thailand or Egypt or South Africa or Norway or Scotland or Turkey or anywhere else and so you know what you will see? A local lad in a Liverpool jersey or City or United or Chelsea. We're not unique as a nationality in having a connection with an English team. It's a global sport, a global league and the teams are global brands.
    following an english team and not your LOI based team.

I don't have an LOI team, so there is no "your"

My team is Liverpool FC, reigning Champions of Europe
    I don't really care

Lol you clearly do care!

• Advertisement

We're not unique as a nationality in having a connection with an English team.

You'll have to concede that we're unique in that we claim to hate the Brits and the English in every other sporting context while simultaneously calling British teams ''us'' and our own.

You'll have to concede that we're unique in that we claim to hate the Brits and the English in every other sporting context while simultaneously calling British teams ''us'' and our own.

I've seen "Scouse not English" banners from Liverpool locals so the hypocrisy is definitely not unique.

I concede that there's hypocrisy and that the Irish are possibly the worst offenders, but are we unique in having people support English teams and dislike Britain? I'd say no.

There's a good bit of anti-English in certain sections of Liverpool particularly when it comes to the national team. Might not be obvious to those who don't spend much time there but I'm not joking. I can't speak for the rest of the country but the hypocrisy with a minority in Liverpool is real

The Scouse not English thing isn't hypocrisy. It's a cultural identity thing with shades of North vs South, establishment vs anti-establishment and class divisions.

Hating all English sporting teams while simultaneously claiming their teams as ''ours'' is absolute hypocrisy or, at least, irony.

Hating all English sporting teams while simultaneously claiming their teams as ''ours'' is absolute hypocrisy or, at least, irony.

Agreed. I don't hate them myself but I get your point and there is definite hypocrisy from a large portion of the fanbase

I was using Liverpool as an example. Nigeria, Australia and India would be other obvious ones that I've seen Liverpool fans from. The latter 2 moreso with the cricket rivalries but they do have plenty of fans of English soccer teams

Are the Irish the most hypocritical? As I say, probably yeah. But I definitely don't think we're completely unique.

It would be like an Indian fella hating Pakistan but claiming the Pakistani a team one as his own. Same idea.

It would be like an Indian fella hating Pakistan but claiming the Pakistani a team one as his own. Same idea.

Yep, not as extreme but same idea for sure.

Definite hypocrisy so I completely understand why it's difficult for some people to understand. I just don't get why they care so much?

I also support the Red Sox and not my local Baseball Ireland team. And I know Irish fans of NBA, NFL, cricket and rugby league teams that are not Irish teams despite the local options.

The strange thing is that this only seems to uniquely matter with soccer and not these other sports right? Or do I just miss the outrage on those?

so this nonsense about connections to a foreign team is a joke

People who say things like this need to broaden there mind and realise it's an outdated way of thinking.

What matters is the emotional connection a fan feels. If a fan gets the chance to watch his local team when hes young an emotional connection will likely develop but you cant force this connection, if a fan doesnt feel it you cant force him to feel it. You can't tell someone they have to support a local team, you can certainly tell people they should watch there local team play but you cant force them to love a club, the real world doesn't work that way.

I follow an EPL team because I have 100's of great memories tied to my club, some I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

Yes there's a lot of EPL fans who hate the Brits and they are idiots although when England win the media always go overboard which is a bit irritating when your not English

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Greyfox wrote: »
    People who say things like this need to broaden there mind and realise it's an outdated way of thinking.

What matters is the emotional connection a fan feels. If a fan gets the chance to watch his local team when hes young an emotional connection will likely develop but you cant force this connection, if a fan doesnt feel it you cant force him to feel it. You can't tell someone they have to support a local team, you can certainly tell people they should watch there local team play but you cant force them to love a club, the real world doesn't work that way.

I follow an EPL team because I have 100's of great memories tied to my club, some I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

Can you please explain what you meant when you said PL teams' histories are superior to LOI teams' histories? You mentioned success in the same post a few pages back, so if history doesn't refer to success, what do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same. The scumbag element to their support and the fact both would be known as Irelands/Englands shame to other clubs fans would be the reasons.

Remarkable coming from a Dundalk fan really. And we never murdered anybody.
    Greyfox wrote: »
    Maybe they should of watched a match on tv first and then when they were familiar with the players then went to a live match

Just when you though a barstooler couldn't possibly come out with something even more ignorant of football culture then there is this. Staggering. But keep digging :D

Advertisement