Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Eir Broadband!

• 26-11-2020 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So, I signed up to Eir Broadband a week ago and within the first day I did not get the speeds I wanted so I tried to cancel straight away. This was almost impossible.

I signed up online and had received a number 1800 303 737 in my set up email which did not work at all. When calling after a long wait I received the message "there are no mailboxes available for the person you want to reach. Thank you goodbye" and then the call hung up. This was the number that eir stated on their signup email was the number to call to cancel within their 14 day cancellation period.

I then went on a search and found lots of interesting advice and info on boards.ie and tried some things, unfortunately, most did not work. I tried chatting to the customer service team on live chat, twitter, emailing customer service direct and filling out their customer service cancellation form all did nothing.

But today I had a bit of success, I made a call and had the email to confirm cancellation within seconds so Ill add below the steps I took in case they help anyone else:

1. Called customer service on 1800 773 729
    - After waiting for the prompt I picked option 2,
    - Again waiting for the options to start I picked option 1,
    - Entered my eir Account number
    - Option 3
    - Option 2

2. Cancelled my direct debit at the bank.
    3. Got ready to send back the modem (once I have the address I can add to this post)

Now this worked for the 14 day cooling off period but if you are in contract there are a few things I learnt from all the different board posts.

* If you are in contract you need to wait until that contract is up to change or they will fine you.
    * If you are out of contract it takes 30 days for cancellation and you can use the above method.
    * If you are switching to another provider print off your most recent bill and head on over to a local shop or call the other provider and give them the info from that bill. Your old provider will be contacted by your new provider and you will be charged from your old provider for your final bill (sorry no way out of that, that I know of).

Hopefully this is some help to whoever is out there trying to cancel eir.

Best of Luck,

Chris

P.S. I tried switching to eir because Vodafone couldn't provide service where I live. I was able to cancel Vodafone in seconds and the people in the shop were helpful with giving me the info I needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

chris435 wrote: »
    So, I signed up to Eir Broadband a week ago and within the first day I did not get the speeds I wanted so I tried to cancel straight away. This was almost impossible.

I signed up online and had received a number 1800 303 737 in my set up email which did not work at all. When calling after a long wait I received the message "there are no mailboxes available for the person you want to reach. Thank you goodbye" and then the call hung up. This was the number that eir stated on their signup email was the number to call to cancel within their 14 day cancellation period.

I then went on a search and found lots of interesting advice and info on boards.ie and tried some things, unfortunately, most did not work. I tried chatting to the customer service team on live chat, twitter, emailing customer service direct and filling out their customer service cancellation form all did nothing.

But today I had a bit of success, I made a call and had the email to confirm cancellation within seconds so Ill add below the steps I took in case they help anyone else:

1. Called customer service on 1800 773 729
    - After waiting for the prompt I picked option 2,
    - Again waiting for the options to start I picked option 1,
    - Entered my eir Account number
    - Option 3
    - Option 2

2. Cancelled my direct debit at the bank.
    3. Got ready to send back the modem (once I have the address I can add to this post)

Now this worked for the 14 day cooling off period but if you are in contract there are a few things I learnt from all the different board posts.

* If you are in contract you need to wait until that contract is up to change or they will fine you.
    * If you are out of contract it takes 30 days for cancellation and you can use the above method.
    * If you are switching to another provider print off your most recent bill and head on over to a local shop or call the other provider and give them the info from that bill. Your old provider will be contacted by your new provider and you will be charged from your old provider for your final bill (sorry no way out of that, that I know of).

Hopefully this is some help to whoever is out there trying to cancel eir.

Best of Luck,

Chris

P.S. I tried switching to eir because Vodafone couldn't provide service where I live. I was able to cancel Vodafone in seconds and the people in the shop were helpful with giving me the info I needed.

Good info. Just on a side note if you cant get it with vodafone its highly unlikely you will get it from eir or sky as they all use the eir lines.
    Only hope would be virgin media or siro if its available

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Steveirl2010

I am trying to renew my contract with EIR for the same deal - ive been contacting them for 3 days now and 30mins waiting. i had to hang up after 30mins each time. i cant hold any longer.

no time scale at all when they will pick up.

i can understand why they have been voted worst customer service and why they have also been reported to comreg.

Regards
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

I am trying to renew my contract with EIR for the same deal - ive been contacting them for 3 days now and 30mins waiting. i had to hang up after 30mins each time. i cant hold any longer.

no time scale at all when they will pick up.

i can understand why they have been voted worst customer service and why they have also been reported to comreg.

Regards
    Steve

I had the same issue yesterday. Contacted them as I was out of contract. They would not give me a good price (80pm for broadband and two sims), with 10 discount for 6 months. In the end, I decided to go with Vodafone (30pm and free google nest audio). It’s a hassle having to change broadband provider and also port SIM cards to new network.

I got a text message today to call 1800924409 - their loyalty team. I got through
    Relatively quickly. They offered me 55pm but I cancelled anyway.

Advertisement