Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

European Parliament voted to support consumers’ Right to Repair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I forget the exact provisions but there is already Irish Law on the provision of spare parts. I'll dig up the exact legislation for you tomorrow when I'm meant to be working :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980

12.—(1) In a contract for the sale of goods there is an implied warranty that spare parts and an adequate aftersale service will be made available by the seller in such circumstances as are stated in an offer, description or advertisement by the seller on behalf of the manufacturer or on his own behalf and for such period as is so stated or, if no period is so stated, for a reasonable period.

(2) The Minister may, after such consultation with such interested parties as he thinks proper, by order define, in relation to any class of goods described in the order, what shall be a reasonable period for the purpose of subsection (1).

(3) Notwithstanding section 55 (1) of the Act of 1893 (inserted by section 22 of this Act) any term of a contract exempting from all or any of the provisions of this section shall be void.

Emphasis added.

It's not the strongest protection I grant you and I welcome any efforts to strengthen the right to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I think the problem is 'reasonable period' is not defined. It needs to be product specific to a degree. There was a poster here whose TV broke down after 3 years and the retailer said tough. Id have thought 5+ years is reasonable for a tv to last but it seems retailers think otherwise. It would take a trip to the small claims court to really find out.

Companies designing their goods to break down after a specific period of time does need to be clamped down on though. This planned obsolescence ends up in tons of waste going to landfill so youd hope the EU tackle it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Cordell

This will be the end of cheap big screen TVs, among other things.
    I used to make a living from repairing CRT TVs, and today's budget LCDs last much longer, but when they fail it's very difficult if not impossible to source replacement parts. But that's why they're cheap, they are made in a generic TV factory overseas (like Vestel in Turkey) and sold here under various brands like Toshiba and Hitachi, brands that don't make TVs anymore, hence they have no network for service and parts. No one except the factory is involved in the technical aspects, everyone else just orders, ships and sells them.
    I don't know if this is good or bad :)

Advertisement