Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PTSB not allowing term reduction on mortgage

• 06-11-2020 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

My 3 year fixed rate finished in Oct. I want to reduce my remaining term down by a couple of years and fix again at new 3 year rate, however PTSB are saying this is not possible. The only way around is it so set up an overpayment.

Surely this can’t be right?? I called shortly before 5pm so I think the guy on the phone was just trying to get me off the phone.

I know overpaying is the same (and preferred) option, but I WANT to reduce my term.

Help anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Ask to move to the banking forum.
    You will get a better answer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    My 3 year fixed rate finished in Oct. I want to reduce my remaining term down by a couple of years and fix again at new 3 year rate, however PTSB are saying this is not possible. The only way around is it so set up an overpayment.

Surely this can’t be right?? I called shortly before 5pm so I think the guy on the phone was just trying to get me off the phone.

I know overpaying is the same (and preferred) option, but I WANT to reduce my term.

Help anyone?

Surely if you overpay for long enough then you will pay off the loan sooner than your contract says and effectively will reduce your term?
    Is it not the same difference??

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Surely if you overpay for long enough then you will pay off the loan sooner than your contract says and effectively will reduce your term?
    Is it not the same difference??

My mortgage is relatively low as it is, and I would prefer to have my term reduced in years. I have never read anywhere before that banks wouldn’t allow this, so I want to see if anybody has experienced anything similar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

My mortgage is relatively low as it is, and I would prefer to have my term reduced in years. I have never read anywhere before that banks wouldn’t allow this, so I want to see if anybody has experienced anything similar

If they will let you overpay - what is the issue? Is it not the same difference?
    With the added benefit of a safety net should your circumstances change and you not being able to pay the increased amount.
    I suspect they are not eager to reduce the term as that is essentially a completely different contract and would include, most likely, the need to re-mortgage and all that goes with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

So you get the same result either way but you want to do something that requires a new application and paperwork even though it doesn't change the result?

I don't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 omegab

As the posters above say it is to your advantage to have it as long a period as you can in case something happens to your income.

So you get the same result either way but you want to do something that requires a new application and paperwork even though it doesn't change the result?

I don't understand.

I have over 30 years left and I wanted to switch and drop to approx 23 years. I’ve looked into switching and they are asking for a million things so I don’t want the hassle at the moment.

Instead of switching I thought I’d just update my term to 23 years, fix for 3 years etc but I didn’t think it would require new paperwork etc let alone not being able to do it.

Even with the drop to 23 years I plan to overpay on TOP of that, I just want a lower mortgage term.

It might make no sense to some of you but it makes sense to me. Like I said my mortgage isn’t huge so the numbers don’t change dramatically either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would you consider switching, some are doing deals still where you get cash back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I have over 30 years left and I wanted to switch and drop to approx 23 years. I’ve looked into switching and they are asking for a million things so I don’t want the hassle at the moment.

Instead of switching I thought I’d just update my term to 23 years, fix for 3 years etc but I didn’t think it would require new paperwork etc let alone not being able to do it.

Even with the drop to 23 years I plan to overpay on TOP of that, I just want a lower mortgage term.

It might make no sense to some of you but it makes sense to me. Like I said my mortgage isn’t huge so the numbers don’t change dramatically either way!

Calculate what your payments would be if over 23 years and ask for your direct debit to be set up for that amount. (May not be possible if fixing the mortgage - if not calculate the overpayment you would make during the 3 year fixed term and split the mortgage between fixed and variable and pay of the variable part with the 3 years. Then rinse and repeat when the fixed rate expires).

All you really need is to run the figures and make the changes. This will reduce the term automatically.

I tend to do this with my mortgage but want the longest term possible to that if I ever find myself unemployed or in financial difficulties, I can switch back to making the minimum until I'm back on my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Your mortgage was approved based on your repayment capacity over 30+ years. You can't just knock 7 years off the term, which will increase your repayments without the bank reassessing, which means paperwork etc.

Just ask them to adjust your direct debit to overpay as much as you want, as has been suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Newdawn11

Can you overpay if you are on a fixed rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why do you want a lower mortgage term?
    What benefit does this give you over overpaying to the same amount as a shorter term would be costing you monthly?

Switching is a new contract essentially as is trying to reduce the term in the manner you are trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m struggling to see why people are questioning the op’s rationale for reducing the term and paying off a lump sum. I have done this in the past twice, once with BoS and once with AIB, neither had any issue whatsoever with it. In fact, BoS when they were here gave me a better tracker rate when I reduced the principal by paying off a chunk of it. By reducing the LTV, the op may be able to get a better interest rate and by reducing the loan by paying it off sooner, pays less in interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Is a lump sum not allowed without setting up a new mortgage? Is this not what OP is asking? Not asking to reduce term per se but a lump sum which therefore leads to less time to pay off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’m struggling to see why people are questioning the op’s rationale for reducing the term and paying off a lump sum. I have done this in the past twice, once with BoS and once with AIB, neither had any issue whatsoever with it. In fact, BoS when they were here gave me a better tracker rate when I reduced the principal by paying off a chunk of it. By reducing the LTV, the op may be able to get a better interest rate and by reducing the loan by paying it off sooner, pays less in interest.
    Paying off a lump sum and changing the terms of the mortgage contract are two very different things,

Newdawn11 wrote: »
    With Ulster Bank you can but only allow up to a certain percentage of outstanding balance, each bank would it's own terms and conditions to repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

august12 wrote: »
    Paying off a lump sum and changing the terms of the mortgage contract are two very different things,

Ok but does paying a lumpsum not decrease the term or just decrease the payment amount each month? Overpaying can decrease the term so I assume lump sum would do the same but could be better depending on your circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Some banks such as UB allow you to overpay up to 20% of the outstanding balance while you are on a fixed rate.

Personally I would push the term of your mortgage out as long as possible which reduces the monthly payment the bank requires. Let’s say the bank looks for 500pm over 30 years.

Then just pay the 500+ whatever you are overpaying which goes off the principle, which reduces the amount outstanding which reduces your term anyway as you’ll run out of money that you owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

One drawback of overpaying vs reducing, I know of one person who had overpaid enough to cover 2 years. The bank refused to hand over the deeds until the full mortgage term was up. I can see the OP’s logic.

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Your mortgage was approved based on your repayment capacity over 30+ years. You can't just knock 7 years off the term, which will increase your repayments without the bank reassessing, which means paperwork etc.

Just ask them to adjust your direct debit to overpay as much as you want, as has been suggested.

Interest rates on savings are at 0% at the moment so having a lump sum sitting in a bank account isn’t smart. Of course you can knock time off the term by paying off a lump sum of the capital and keeping repayments at the same level. Banks don’t usually refuse money so if I was the op, I’d be making an appointment with the manager to discuss why they aren’t accepting his/her money. So what if there is some paperwork.

As I said, I did it twice, both required a phone call to the banks and cheques being posted to them.

Op, it is a straightforward procedure to change lender, see if there are better rates in other banks and tell PTSB you are going to move your mortgage unless they pull their finger out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Batgurl wrote: »
    One drawback of overpaying vs reducing, I know of one person who had overpaid enough to cover 2 years. The bank refused to hand over the deeds until the full mortgage term was up. I can see the OP’s logic.

That doesn't sound like correct information. What bank was this? And had the person re-paid the full balance? Was it a fixed rate or variable rate mortgage?

I repaid my mortgage early, a few years ago. Once the balance was cleared, the bank (Permanent TSB) closed the account automatically. And within a month or so reached out to me to confirm where they should return my deeds to?

What benefit would it be to the bank to retain the deeds, if there was no balance due to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Newdawn11 wrote: »

Not with PTSB you can't (unless you pay break fees)

dev_ire wrote: »
    Ok but does paying a lumpsum not decrease the term or just decrease the payment amount each month? Overpaying can decrease the term so I assume lump sum would do the same but could be better depending on your circumstances?
    You can do both, regular overpayment and a lump sum, so both will do the same thing but you generally have to let bank know which option you want, because if left to them, they will reduce the monthly payment as opposed to reducing the term as they make more from you by reducing the monthly payment. All subject to banks terms which generally are no restrictions on a variable mortgage but limits on a fixed rate.

dev_ire wrote: »
    You can do both, regular overpayment and a lump sum, so both will do the same thing but you generally have to let bank know which option you want i.e. reduce monthly payment or mortgage term, because if left to Bank, they will reduce the monthly payment as opposed to reducing the term as they make more from you by reducing the monthly payment. All subject to banks terms which generally are no restrictions on a variable mortgage but limits on a fixed rate.

What?

When you sell a house and the loan is repaid, the bank doesn’t hold onto the deeds for another 10 years until the term ends.

Trust me, I know it’s mad and illogical but I’ve witnessed it first hand.

It was a decade or so ago, so may be changed in more recent years but one of Ireland’s biggest banks refused to hand over the deeds for 18 months when a mortgage was overpaid early.

Trust me, I know it’s mad and illogical but I’ve witnessed it first hand.

It was a decade or so ago, so may be changed in more recent years but one of Ireland’s biggest banks refused to hand over the deeds for 18 months when a mortgage was overpaid early.

I find that hard to believe that a bank hold on to the collateral deeds when the loan has been repaid in full and there is no longer a debt.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe that a bank hold on to the collateral deeds when the loan has been repaid in full and there is no longer a debt.

I would have agreed with you if I didn’t seen it happen myself first hand.

I would have agreed with you if I didn’t seen it happen myself first hand.

Sorry, I just can’t see how that would be possible if the bank had no hold over the deeds when the debt is repaid. This is akin to the band refusing to hand over the deeds when a house is sold and the mortgage cleared.

• Advertisement

I don't want to lock myself into another fixed rate period with a low payment over 32 years with a limit on how much I can overpay when I could just reduce the term to 23 years, increase the payments to what I ACTUALLY want to pay and then I can still overpay on top of that.

Surely someone reducing a term on a mortgage is nothing too outlandish :-(

Advertisement