Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping bags Mountain Warehouse

• 10-01-2020 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hey, I'm on a budget and I'm looking for a sleeping bag for the winter, I've seen some sleeping bags in Mountain Warehouse, anyone have any experience with them, what are they like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Hey, I'm on a budget and I'm looking for a sleeping bag for the winter, I've seen some sleeping bags in Mountain Warehouse, anyone have any experience with them, what are they like?

Mountain warehouse in general is cheap and cheerful similar to regatta nothing particularly wrong with either. I wouldn't want to go cheap on a bag in planning on using for winter and if you do at least get yourself a liner.

What's your budget and is packed size important?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Mountain warehouse in general is cheap and cheerful similar to regatta nothing particularly wrong with either. I wouldn't want to go cheap on a bag in planning on using for winter and if you do at least get yourself a liner.

What's your budget and is packed size important?
    Have an elector woolen liner for €60
    Looking to spend €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Similar query here..... Any recommendations for a sleeping bag that folds up really small?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Gorteen wrote: »
    Similar query here..... Any recommendations for a sleeping bag that folds up really small?

A down sleeping bag.
    Summer bags will fold up smaller because there's less to them.

The warmer the bag, the bigger the bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Rodin wrote: »
    A down sleeping bag.
    Summer bags will fold up smaller because there's less to them.

The warmer the bag, the bigger the bundle

Can you recommend a bag? Or a website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What is you main requirement warmth or pack down size?

Take a look at the aegis max on ali express there are two versions one packs down very small and a 2 season the other is a little larger and more a 3 season.

If it matter the down is probably a million miles from ethically sourced and delivery is very slow at the minute with covid so probably one for autumn or next year.

I have a robins serac 300 which I use most and is a great bag but not particularly small pack size. The aegis I use for bike packing and it's great although no hood on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭tphase

https://rab.equipment/uk/ascent-300
    very light, very small pack size

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When considering down sleeping bags or clothing, please seriously consider staying away from the budget manufacturers and consider doing the decent and responsible thing to buy ethically sourced down

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ethical-down-i395

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

tphase wrote: »
    https://rab.equipment/uk/ascent-300
    very light, very small pack size
    With all due respect, that is not a winter bag.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭tphase

Esel wrote: »
    With all due respect, that is not a winter bag.
    absolutely true, it's an answer to this question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 figleaf25

Buying synthetic will save you a lot of money (it'll be heavier than down, but also more hydrophobic). Reputable brands that I would recommend - from personal experience with their bags - would be:

RAB Westcomb Sierra Designs Big Agnes Marmot Western Mountaineering

There's tons of good stuff out there, look at REI, Moosejaw, or Backcountry.com, and read reviews on bags that interest you.

Advertisement