Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

• 26-11-2019 1:53pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Originally Posted by Beasty
    Anyone else starting to discuss red light jumping or otherwise trying to change the topic into a discussion of cyclist behaviour can expect mod action

Any questions PM me

New Thread, same rules as old thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    New Thread, same rules as old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

ooooh new thread :) spot the bike, I didn't until I was right on top of him!

https://streamable.com/fg9oa

Just noticed it might not be clear in his ninja gear that he's cycling towards me!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was driving through oldtown at 8:30pm this evening, two people out on bikes on an unlit road, but it was OK because they were both wearing builders vests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Heading north to Clontarf earlier. Just after I pass over Annesley Bridge there's a guy coming towards me, going the wrong way, in the cycle lane. He then just casually swung out wide into the bus lane to pass me. Does that still count as a near miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

was driving through oldtown at 8:30pm this evening, two people out on bikes on an unlit road, but it was OK because they were both wearing builders vests.

I cycled in at 7am this morning, and saw three people on bikes with absolutely no lights but all had builders vests on :eek: Two cars without lights either but they had forgot their hi-vis!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Vel wrote: »
    I cycled in at 7am this morning, and saw three people on bikes with absolutely no lights but all had builders vests on :eek: Two cars without lights either but they had forgot their hi-vis!

I counted many cars this morning. None of them were painted in hi vis

A bit of a rant along with a near miss. Some nonce locked up and almost ran into the back of me while drafting me this am when I signaled and pulled up to make a turn. Its a fupping commute with other people, bikes scooters etc. not a fupping race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I posted this yesterday in another thread ...
    This morning on my cycle commute I was at a red light (T junction).
    Traffic was coming from the left and they had a green light.
    The light turned red for them and a car broke it. (light was now green for us)
    Then another car went through the red light.
    A third vehicle (van) went to go through the red light.
    I moved my bike forward and he stopped, gave me the finger, then noticed the helmet camera and was all apologies.

I moved my bike forward in such a way that he'd 'only' hit my front wheel.
    That's what I had to think when I did it.

The roads are getting worse around Dublin.

And lucky me I'd an almost identical incident this morning.
    I come up to the red light at the T junction at Kinsealy on the Malahide Road.
    Light turns red for the people coming onto the Malahide Road and then green for us.
    Three cars break the red. The third is a taxi driver.

I catch up to him and the conversation goes
    "You were the third car to break the red"
    "Great you can count. Tell the first two that broke it"
    "Ive camera footage that I'll be sending to the gardai"
    "Sure you break reds all the time"

So the logic is
    - other motorists break reds so its ok
    - cyclists break reds so its ok.

The lack of enforcement and gardai presence is reaching new levels.

Its like a free-for-all out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Yesterday morning was possibly my worst cycling experience ever.

The rain was really heavy, visibility was poor and there was large pools of water in lots of parts of cycling lanes - and then drivers were speeding and undertaking taking no extra care with the bad weather.

I had numerous near misses.

The worst one was that I saw a pool of water on the cycle lane ahead so I moved to the edge of the cycle lane to avoid it (I did not enter the car lane - but perhaps I should have?)

The 145 bus then overtook me at the same time as I was on avoiding the water. The bus was so close, I would say it was 1 / 2 cm from my handlebars. The bus then pulled in to the bus stop just ahead.

Seriously, could they not have waited for me to pass the puddle? I would have then safely reentered the cycle lane and then passed the bus stop and then they could have pulled in to the bus lane.

They literally overtook me dangerously and then a few seconds later I had to overtake them again as they stopped at the bus stop.

Is there any point in contacting Dublin Bus about this dangerous close pass?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had an "out of service" DB driver give me the wanker gesture. I was overtaking two that were pulled in and he was behind me, I was quicker through the junction and was in the bike lane before any delay to him. In this weather though he thought it was a good time to slow down so he could eyeball me and do the wanker signal. At the next lights he got through as mine went red. He pulled in, and I could see him waiting for me. I was annoyed at the red as I'd love to hear his reckoning but its a long wait and he got bored and pulled off (no pun intended).

Earlier in the commute, van at red lights with me, pedestrian light went green and he tore off. Realised his error and slowed, panicked and then sped up. He hadn't seen the person walking across the road who hadn't cleared it. I caught up with them later on, and knocked on the window. He knew what he had done, said he didn't know what happened, thought he got a green and went for it. Told him he needs to pull in and get a coffee. It only occurred to me afterwards, his issue was breaking the red, I am unsure if he realised that he nearly hit anyone. So focused on the lights rather than the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yesterday morning was possibly my worst cycling experience ever.

The rain was really heavy, visibility was poor and there was large pools of water in lots of parts of cycling lanes - and then drivers were speeding and undertaking taking no extra care with the bad weather.

I had numerous near misses.

The worst one was that I saw a pool of water on the cycle lane ahead so I moved to the edge of the cycle lane to avoid it (I did not enter the car lane - but perhaps I should have?)
    You should have. I always anticipate such issues and take the lane in plenty of time. A parked car on an otherwise clear road will have me taking the lane at least 6 car lengths before.
    The 145 bus then overtook me at the same time as I was on avoiding the water. The bus was so close, I would say it was 1 / 2 cm from my handlebars. The bus then pulled in to the bus stop just ahead.

Seriously, could they not have waited for me to pass the puddle? I would have then safely reentered the cycle lane and then passed the bus stop and then they could have pulled in to the bus lane.

They literally overtook me dangerously and then a few seconds later I had to overtake them again as they stopped at the bus stop.

Is there any point in contacting Dublin Bus about this dangerous close pass?
    Given recent legislation with penalty points for dangerous passing of a cyclist, you should make a complaint to the Gardai. You should also request footage from Dublin Bus under GDPR regulations which require them to provide you with footage in which you feature. There's a post somewhere (probably in Near Misses I) detailing the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You should also request footage from Dublin Bus under GDPR regulations which require them to provide you with footage in which you feature. There's a post somewhere (probably in Near Misses I) detailing the process.

These 2 should explain it for everyone, maybe an idea to have these in OP?

https://irishcycle.com/2018/10/21/how-to-request-cctv-from-dublin-bus-using-gdpr/

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Privacy/Making-a-Subject-Access-Request/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

How long does it usually take for a follow up call after reporting to TrafficWatch? It's been over a week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

papu wrote: »
    How long does it usually take for a follow up call after reporting to TrafficWatch? It's been over a week now.

It varies, I'm guessing dependent on station & officer. Mine took around 3 months but I've heard of much quicker responses...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

i got a response in 3 days once, and 14 weeks another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I did a slow bicycle race in front of a wanker in a jag this morning who was flying down the bus lane in Clanbrassil Street Lower this morning on the way into town.

Gets on my tits all the people that fly up there. I'd a nasty near miss a while back there with an assclown in a Donegal reg golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,277 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

From the old thread.
    There was a cyclist down yesterday on Sandford Road around 3pm. It was at the petrol station by Belmont Avenue. I didn't stop as there were a lot of people surrounding her. I couldn't see a car in the immediate vicinity but it could have been parked up in the station. It looked like they were waiting on an ambulance. I hope the cyclist was okay.

Speaking of that petrol station, I needed to change my pants after this one. I was focused on the guy nosing out of the next exit of the petrol station, so I missed the gap in the line of traffic until this lady landed in front of me. Audio cut out to protect the innocent.

https://streamable.com/vvlfn

• Registered Users Posts: 28,277 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ranelagh has not been good to me this week. This guy just kept on coming as I approached, and didn't give any I contact at all - scared the crap out of me.

https://streamable.com/jgjtt

had something vaguely similar today; was filtering up the inside in slow moving traffic going through portmarnock, and suspect as i was passing a car, that the driver of that car gave a motorist pulling out from a side road, the signal to pull out; but without allowing for my presence.
    the chap in the peugeot started to pull out (have had a run of issues with peugeot drivers recently), but even when he copped me, didn't make any sign of stopping to allow for me. i got a head on me - i decided he wasn't going to play that game - and pulled out around in front of him. he passed me about 50 or 100m later, and for reasons i will only speculate, as he approached a red light another few metres further on, pulled in hard to the kerb to prevent me passing. i just went around him.

• Advertisement

I was cycling towards the lights just after Templeogue Bridge on the way out of town last night. As you approach those lights, there's two lanes, one to go straight forward (and filter left) and one to go right at the lights.

I was a good bit away from them and they were just turning orange. I was in the left lane keeping well in, i was in no rush as i wasn't going to make the green when a red mazda fcuking whizzed by, very close. The bike wobbled but i stayed on.

The mazda didn't make the lights so had to screech to a halt at the red. I indicated out and cycled up alongside the drivers door and made the hand signal for him to have a chat. I'd already had a long day of dealing with some difficult people in work so wasn't in the mood for a massive barney, but had to say something.

He lowered the window and i don't want to sound mean, but this guy had his eyes literally crossed in his head and was wearing milk bottle glasses. I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or the fcuking wing mirror. I'll give a brief synopses of the conversation that followed:

Me: Ehhh, you were a bit close to me there??
    Him: What were you doing in the middle of the road?
    Me: I wasn't in the middle of the road.
    Him: You were, you shouldn't be in that lane, there's a cycle lane right there.

*he points to the cycle lane where i was. I turned out to come around to the drivers side of his car to talk to him.

Me: I was in that lane.
    Him: Well i was within the speed limit. What are you a judge? I've a speedometer in my car!!
    Me: Well you must not look at the fcuking thing very often.
    Him: You shouldn't be in that lane now.
    Me: I need to be in this lane now to turn right.
    Him: No you don't. You go through this junction and then turn back to go up that way.

I then just let a sigh and said i was reporting him to the Gardai and he screamed 'get them!!' I said no, i have it all on video will do it later. He turned white and closed the window.

Unfortunately i do not have it on video, but i let him drive off thinking i did.

This fcuking tit didn't see me at all, i'm lit up like a fcuking Xmas tree. It made no difference, because i'd say he could barely see two foot in front of him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He wanted you to travel through the junction and then do a U-turn and taking a left rather than doing a straight-forwward right? :confused:
    He sounds like a right cretin!
    (and a dangerous one at that!)

He wanted you to travel through the junction and then do a U-turn and taking a left rather than doing a straight-forwward right? :confused:
    He sounds like a right cretin!
    (and a dangerous one at that!)

Yeah, I actually asked him why I would do that and he said that's the law. I had to call it fcuking quits then.

Had a few brushes with pedestrians they last couple of days and in the interest of balance I'll start with the one entirely(I really want to say mostly) my fault. I was following a bike lane and it disappeared due to road works and temporary barriers which left me stuck on a path, I slowed to a crawl and kept announcing my presence but everyone had head phones in. People actually stood in my way to stop me progressing I tried to explain that I followed the signs in and got stuck on the path and was barely moving but 2 confrontations in all of 100m.

The second myself and a car were waiting at a set of pedestrian lights everyone crossed and the lights started to flash yellow, we both went to set off and I mean moved inches when a guy runs diagonally from behind us to our right stepping into the crossing just in front of the car. We both stop and he's shouting for f's sake I tried explaining the lights had started flashing yellow and he points at the same light flashing yellow shouting red :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not a near miss on the bike, but I ran to work this morning. There was a crash on the firhouse road, no idea what happened, but this whole junction was blocked. I was waiting to cross at the ped crossing, got the green and stepped out, when three large dumper trucks coming from rathfarnham direction come up the wrong side of the road and turn right towards the spawell. I jumped back, me and cyclist beside me pointing at the lights, which are now orange, with the truck driver pointing to the crash as if to say "What am I supposed to do?". Gardai standing around doing nothing as usual. Glad I was paying attention

I was cycling towards the lights just after Templeogue Bridge on the way out of town last night. As you approach those lights, there's two lanes, one to go straight forward (and filter left) and one to go right at the lights.

What is it with that junction? There's something about the way it's laid out that causes drivers to never stay in the middle lane, and I've no idea what it is. This causes those in the left lane on approach to really squeeze by. Nearly every car, every day.

496371.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I still don't know how I avoided crashing into a pedestrian who was crossing Amiens St towards Talbot St outside Connolly Station this morning. Traffic had the green light but all vehicles were back up, so this guy with headphones on and eyes glued to his phone stepped out directly in front of me.

I stopped and shouted at him and he didn't even acknowledge me. Anybody know what the situation would have been had I hit into him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

I still don't know how I avoided crashing into a pedestrian who was crossing Amiens St towards Talbot St outside Connolly Station this morning. Traffic had the green light but all vehicles were back up, so this guy with headphones on and eyes glued to his phone stepped out directly in front of me.

I stopped and shouted at him and he didn't even acknowledge me. Anybody know what the situation would have been had I hit into him?

Different jurisdiction, but very similar story, and the cyclist was punished.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cyclist-knock-over-woman-phone-compensation-court-london-a8969731.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Yeah, I actually asked him why I would do that and he said that's the law. I had to call it fcuking quits then.

Guy was obviously as thick as his goggles.

Not a near miss on the bike, but I ran to work this morning. There was a crash on the firhouse road, no idea what happened, but this whole junction was blocked. I was waiting to cross at the ped crossing, got the green and stepped out, when three large dumper trucks coming from rathfarnham direction come up the wrong side of the road and turn right towards the spawell. I jumped back, me and cyclist beside me pointing at the lights, which are now orange, with the truck driver pointing to the crash as if to say "What am I supposed to do?". Gardai standing around doing nothing as usual. Glad I was paying attention

What is it with that junction? There's something about the way it's laid out that causes drivers to never stay in the middle lane, and I've no idea what it is. This causes those in the left lane on approach to really squeeze by. Nearly every car, every day.

[IMGhttps://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=496371&stc=1&d=1574935275[/IMG]

I passed by that crash this morning too. I had the same thing where i was going through the junction on green and there were cars coming towards me going right and not yielding. For all the emergency services at the scene, one would think that they'd manage the traffic properly.

No, where the near miss happened was just around the corner from there, when you take a left at those lights.

I know what you are saying about that lane though, i don't come that way very often, but it is very tight. That's why there's always a load of people cycling on the footpath i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

No, where the near miss happened was just around the corner from there, when you take a left at those lights.

Ah sorry, gotcha now.

Advertisement