Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can TV Licence inspectors check your bedroom?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think we can agree that the current law is completely outdated and does not reflect the reality of modern broadcasting.

This, I would assume, is the main reason for the new charge which everyone will need to pay rather than arguing over what is and isn't covered under the legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Basically the old law is still in effect where you needed a tv with a tuner which was the part which required the licence. That is why even if you had no actual tv but only had a video recorder you still needed a licence as the vcr contained a tuner. So today if you have only a monitor you dont need a licence but if you have a cable or satellite decoder like sky box or upc microwave decoder that is the tuner and requires a licence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They ask to be allowed in to search for any tv and if you refuse they just call the guards who will uphold the inspectors right to enter your property.
    They don't have a right to enter the property without your permission or a court warrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

If you have any bit of a lane before your house, place a 'Beware of Dog' and 'No Trespassing Signs' and see if he crosses the garden threshold then. Maybe a Rifle Association Membership sign and old Republican US flags on the fence...

With regards to the analogue monitor debate - what if someone uses a digital-analogue (DVI-D to VGA) converter with an analogue monitor? Should they then not be technically able to receive digital TV signals?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

UDP wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0146.html#sec146
    Broadcasting Act 2009
    146.— (1) An issuing agent may appoint persons to be officers of the issuing agent for the purposes of this Part.

(2) A person appointed under subsection (1) shall, on his or her appointment be furnished by the issuing agent with a certificate of his or her appointment and when exercising a power conferred by subsection (3) shall, if requested by any person thereby affected, produce such certificate to that person for inspection.

(3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place.

(4) An officer of an issuing agent may request any person on the premises or at the place where he or she finds a television set or evidence of such to produce the television licence for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place for inspection by the officer.
    reads to me that they can.
    It seems to me that there's a couple of ways around it. First one is, don't open the door unless you're expecting someone. Second one is when he says "can I come into your house to check for a tv", say "no" and close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Smashius_Clay

UDP wrote: »

If I simply did not return their letter to them, what would happen then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cameraman21

What if I am away for 4 months, I will not receive or send back the letter? How can they fine me - how can they prove I got the letter if it is not registered post?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Faith wrote: »
    What happens if they knock on the door and you just admit to not having a licence? Do they just tell you to buy one or what?

This did happen to me! I just admitted I didn't have one, and the inspector just told me to get one within 10 days. A few days alter I got a letter to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 87 ✭✭F35

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think we can agree that the current law is completely outdated and does not reflect the reality of modern broadcasting.

This, I would assume, is the main reason for the new charge which everyone will need to pay rather than arguing over what is and isn't covered under the legislation.

Yep, agreed, especially when people can get rte player for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They had my name and kept issuing letters to me. Returned to sender the whole time. They now address them to the occupant.

If he doesn't have my name, then he doesn't have a chance of taking me to court.

And if he finds my name somehow, I'll be wanting to know how and what the DPA has to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

MugMugs wrote: »

And if he finds my name somehow, I'll be wanting to know how and what the DPA has to say about it.

Yeah because its so hard to find somebodies name without breaching data protection laws :rolleyes::rolleyes:

D3PO wrote: »
    Yeah because its so hard to find somebodies name without breaching data protection laws :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well if you had my address, how would you go about obtaining my name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I received a letter recently saying that a TV licence was not registered for the apartment in which I live. I share an apartment with two other people.

We have no television in our living room, nor are we set up for Saorview, Sky or any of those things.

However, I am wondering, if a TV licence inspector calls around, are they allowed to check your bedroom?

Leaving aside whether or not any of us have a television any of our rooms, it does seem to be rather an invasion of privacy to ask to see someone's bedroom.

If a TV licence inspector called round, would I have the right to refuse him/her access to my bedroom?

I assumed you could refuse them access to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

MugMugs wrote: »
    Well if you had my address, how would you go about obtaining my name?

Electoral Register
    Asking a neighbour
    Phone book

etc etc etc.

Its not hard to find somebodies name without breaking data protection laws and with minimal enough effort.

D3PO wrote: »
    Electoral Register
    Asking a neighbour
    Phone book

etc etc etc.

Its not hard to find somebodies name without breaking data protection laws and with minimal enough effort.

I am not registered on the Electoral Register

My neighbours do not know my name with the exception of one who has since left the area.

My phone number is ex directory and furthermore, how does one find a name from an address in a phone book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

geez.....will you all not just pay the bleedin' licence! Its not that much

geez.....will you all not just pay the bleedin' licence! Its not that much

It is €160 a year. That is alot.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It is €160 a year. That is alot.

Could be less if everyone paid it.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »

You honestly believe that?
    So the new universal charge will be less than €160 then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why would everyone pay it? Plenty of people dont have a TV. No reason for them to subsidise you getting bored in the evenings

With Kenny off the payroll there must be some scope for reducing the current charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I would agree t o ba point but if a person does not have tv and lives in an area with rubbish broadband service that would be incapable of streaming programming then there is still an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I would agree t o ba point but if a person does not have tv and lives in an area with rubbish broadband service that would be incapable of streaming programming then there is still an issue

Even rubbish broadband can stream low-res rte player and radio. You only need good broadband if you want to stream hi-def, which rte doesn't even offer I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

srsly78 wrote: »
    Even rubbish broadband can stream low-res rte player and radio. You only need good broadband if you want to stream hi-def, which rte doesn't even offer I think.

Have you ever tried using RTE iplayer? Unless it has improved in the past few months having broadband still makes it crap and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yep works fine even on lousy eircom 3mbit broadband.

If you were talking about 56k modem you might have a point.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You honestly believe that?
    So the new universal charge will be less than €160 then?

Basic math. Say for example 1 million people paid the tv licence. State gets 160,000,000 euro.

Everyone pays next year. State gets 179,200,000 (12% of people estimated not to have paid in 2010). Following year the state has 19,200,000 more than expected to budget with. Tv licence may not go down, but we might get f*cked in the ass more gently that budget.

It's like tesco. Every little bit helps. Or hinders. People always think that their tax avoidance doesn't matter. But crib when the roads have potholes, the waiting lists get longer in the hospital, and another levy gets thrown in on top of us next year.

I understand the maths but I think it would be very optimistic to think that they will lower this fee for any reason. RTE will find some way to waste use the money wisely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Basic math. Say for example 1 million people paid the tv licence. State gets 160,000,000 euro.

Everyone pays next year. State gets 179,200,000 (12% of people estimated not to have paid in 2010). Following year the state has 19,200,000 more than expected to budget with. Tv licence may not go down, but we might get f*cked in the ass more gently that budget.

It's like tesco. Every little bit helps. Or hinders. People always think that their tax avoidance doesn't matter. But crib when the roads have potholes, the waiting lists get longer in the hospital, and another levy gets thrown in on top of us next year.

In an ideal world it would work like that, but the chance of that happening in reality are slim to virtually none.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement