Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-11-2020, 21:49   #2536
JamesM

Based in Dublin, I felt that we had to secure the boat in Mountshannon for the winter. The cover needed to be put on, the dehumidifier set up and bedding taken home. Cushions are left on the boat, because the dehumidifier really works well and keeps everything dry.
We filled up with fuel, brought lunch and headed off today knowing that we had a full tank and would have no contact with anyone from the time we left to the time we returned.
Half way down the Naas Road, we came upon the first checkpoint, but were not stopped - they were talking to someone else. At Birdhill, heading for Killaloe, we had been warned of a checkpoint, so we headed back towards Nenagh on the old Dublin Road and cut into Killaloe (Ballina) close to the town. Spent a few hours in Mountshannon, got all jobs done and headed home just after 2.00. Feeling safe we headed the shortest way to the motorway from Killaloe. The flashing blue lights put a halt to our gallop, a checkpoint. "What is the purpose of your journey ?" I told the truth and added that he was the first person that we had contact with that day. All concerned, he said "What did you do for lunch" "We brought it with us" "Right so, 100% off you go". No more checkpoints on the way home - Except on the other side of the Naas Road at the same point as this morning - a huge tailback for miles back towards Dublin - all those poor people heading home after work .
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-11-2020, 09:42   #2537
AndyBoBandy

The huge tailbacks are the infuriating part for people who must travel for work day in day out... There's an app called Waze that shows the checkpoints as well as the congested traffic at said checkpoints, and it looks awful for the folks sitting in it (reminiscent of the days of the M50 toll booth).

You'd think common sense would prevail and they wouldn't have the checkpoints from 7-9am, and again from 5-7pm Monday-Friday, to allow folks get to and from work in a somewhat normal fashion.

I was going to ask the marina for a letter similar to what Howth are giving out to berth holders, but I couldn't be ar$ed because I know there won't be a checkpoint on the route... and if there is, I'll just tell them what I was doing...

On Saturdays we bring junior BoBandy to his Saturday school in Blanchardstown, so it's over and back from Rush in the morning, and again just after lunch (160km trip using M1, M50 & N3), and haven't seen a checkpoint yet...
I've been down to Artane a few times to drop bits off to my vulnerable mother, and fix a light on her car, and again, not seen a single checkpoint.
Monday, I went to/from a power station in Ringsend twice, and no checkpoints..

The weather is looking like it might not be 'terrible' this weekend, so I'd have absolutely no qualms about putting the family in the car, and driving to Malahide, and going for a little sail - we'd have zero contact with anybody.
18-11-2020, 13:42   #2538
spaceHopper

i'm confused it's a law or a guideline can they turn you back?

The caretaker government we had back in March had clear messages they new one is puer useless.

If you come to a checkpoint and are on your own in the car just say you are going to check on your mother they'll wave you on.
18-11-2020, 14:28   #2539
AndyBoBandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceHopper View Post
If you come to a checkpoint and are on your own in the car just say you are going to check on your mother they'll wave you on.
or going to visit a grave....
18-11-2020, 22:13   #2540
spaceHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBoBandy View Post
or going to visit a grave....
Can I have the kids in the car on the way to visit Santa for that one

Maybe not, could you imagine if they put two and two together and thought he was dead
Advertisement
20-11-2020, 19:16   #2541
Mick Tator

A weird story on BBC about orcas chewing rudders
Thanks from:
26-11-2020, 11:09   #2542
fergal.b

Just incase you think I'm not doing any boat projects in lockdown here is what I am working on https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058131091

(3) thanks from:
Today, 17:26   #2543
HeidiHeidi

The attrition is starting in earnest in the Vendée Globe..... one dismasting last week, Alex Thompson retired with a broken rudder having fixed some fairly serious hull damage a few days ago, and now Escoffier in 3rd place abandoned ship this afternoon and is about to be rescued by another competitor from his liferaft......
Today, 17:48   #2544
HeidiHeidi

And I've just seen that in the 2008/09, Jean Le Cam was rescued by the skipper of PRB - and he's now the one going to rescue the skipper of ...... PRB.

How's that for good karma!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion