Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-10-2020, 21:33   #46
a148pro

Ok - so here is the report:-

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/con...#html_fulltext

Makes for fascinating and sobering reading. Basically the cases involved people whose journeys commenced in three different continents. They looked at the dna of the virus in each of their samples and it looks like all were related - ie, they only could have logically gotten it on the plane.

You can see the seating plan in the study and they were seated throughout the plane, well away from each other. Plane was less than half full. Most seem to have been wearing masks (I presume all were).

Cliffs - even if sitting well away from someone on a relatively empty plane with everyone wearing masks you may get covid.

Now it does seem the authors were surprised at quite how many got it, so this may be an outlier, but pretty sobering stuff.

Oh, and, very surprisingly, multiple passengers on the flight were not traceable. Reassuring given that those traced passed the virus on to multiple others.
Advertisement
27-10-2020, 13:53   #47
blue note

I'd absolutely love to ski this year, but I there are a number of points on a ski trip that jump out to me as being unavoidable opportunities to get the virus. The airport and plane, they'll try to keep gondolas safe, but you'll end up in them with other people, getting straight in after people get out and breathing that air, restaurants and toilets on the slopes will have some interaction, queues will get crowded close to the lifts, the ski lockers of they're open will have lots of shared air. If you're staying in a hotel or pension you'll have shared spaces there too.

There's just a good bit of risk to skiing. If you're in a job where you're at risk as well, I'll just be honest and say it - I think Christmas Dinner with family would have to be cut. You'd be a high risk person yourself, grandkids would be high risk too and grandparents are vulnerable from a covid point of view.
Thanks from:
27-10-2020, 14:53   #48
the beer revolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintman Paddy Losty View Post
Considered Austria but they make everyone get a test on arrival and it's quite intrusive so don't want to put the kids through it. (neighbour got one and said it's like scraping your brain! )
YOur neighbour is talking rubbish. I sat next to my wife while she had a test done and there wasn't a wince or a murmur from her and she never even mentioned the experience afterwards. While I do accept that for a very small minority of people with nasal medical issues, the test can be quite uncomfortable, why do people go around saying how awful this test is? What do they hope to achieve by this?

Also, your kids are mature and resilient enough to go skiing, you are willing to put them through the journey and a skiing holiday in the middle of a pandemic but, for some reason, they are too delicate to have a cotton bud put up their noses for one second.
Really?

Edit, I spoke to my wife about the test after posting here. She described it as not pleasant but went on to say that that sensation that you get when you get water up your nose when swimming, is much more unpleasant.

Last edited by the beer revolu; 28-10-2020 at 12:47.
(2) thanks from:
28-10-2020, 00:46   #49
a148pro

May be taken out of our hands anyway, europe is seeing huge surges and lockdowns likely which may close ski resorts. Cervinia opened on saturday and was closed by government decree on sunday after images of the lift queues went viral. I think they've closed all Ski resorts for next month.

Between that and travel restrictions will be significantly tougher to ski this year. At the moment at least - maybe if there are lockdowns and numbers go down there might be better prospects later in the season.
28-10-2020, 19:32   #50
maddness

I’ve only missed one winter skiing since 2004 and that was due to a ski injury from the previous winter but I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that unless things change drastically this winter it’s just not going to happen.
Big sad face emoji
Advertisement
28-10-2020, 20:16   #51
a148pro

I'm kind of making it my mission to go. Not sure how exactly, but will manage it. Kind of like a determined secret agent in the war.

It'll happen, I'm nearly sure of it. The more the circumstances conspire to stop me the more I'll want to go!
Thanks from:
28-10-2020, 20:38   #52
maddness

Quote:
Originally Posted by a148pro View Post
I'm kind of making it my mission to go. Not sure how exactly, but will manage it. Kind of like a determined secret agent in the war.

It'll happen, I'm nearly sure of it. The more the circumstances conspire to stop me the more I'll want to go!
If feel exactly the same but just don’t know how I can manage it. I’ve even thought of driving over through France in order to avoid flying.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion