Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does Garden Aspect Make much difference?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Lived in a north facing house with trees at the back. Back of house was dark, mossy and had to have lights on at 11am am in the day. Had no idea about orientation so did not know why house got no sun. Sun was going over the house to the end of the garden. The back of the house was dull and depressing.

Moved and making sure was not caught again, bought south facing house, paid premium I think was 20k.

I've no problem paying it as it is for the life of the house. No extension, rooflights or renovation can bring the light in when it does not come in.

Front of house needs to be kept clean, as it gets damp and mossy. I feel sorry for he houses opposite as their back gardens are like that. I do get the sun in front, very late in evening, but you cant beat sitting out in the mornings in the back with a coffee and having the garden bright all day. . Sunlight makes things seem more positive.

100 percent would only buy south or west. Too big a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

We paid an extra €10k for a SW facing house. Truth be told, it's more W-SW than properly SW but we get sun in the back garden for most of the day and I feel it was worth the extra cash. It's lovely in the evening.

Also it means our living room and bedroom on the north side of the house are a bit cooler in the evening. New houses get very hot so we were glad of this during the fine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

One thing that no one pointed out is that is it in some respect ideal if at least one side of the house faces pure south. Many houses only face east or west and they get solar installed but it doesn't perform so well because it lacks noon sun. If you have a south facing garden you can get solar discreetly on back of your house which is great.

anewme wrote: »
    I've no problem paying it as it is for the life of the house. No extension, rooflights or renovation can bring the light in when it does not come in.
    Ah you clearly never heard of the CoeLux® artificial window. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM8psaLBsr8&feature=emb_title
    The future is here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ah you clearly never heard of the CoeLux® artificial window. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM8psaLBsr8&feature=emb_title

In a way that is what I am talking about.

Would absolutely hate something like that.

The rooms look like caves. Totallly depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its like some sort of rapey tanning salon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

anewme wrote: »
    In a way that is what I am talking about.

Would absolutely hate something like that.

The rooms look like caves. Totallly depressing.

I think they look amazing. Like real sun, but never overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I grew up in a South facing house and purchased a South facing house. Premium didn't come I to it as it was non negotiable. I work from home and the back of the house is always light and airy. I have a lovely suntrap patio etc but it doesn't matter so much to me as I don't like sun bathing and rarely sit out though I love gardening. What I want is a bright warm airy indoors looking out onto greenery. Think! would you buy an apartment that was North or east facing! It's the quality of light inside that makes all the difference to your health and wellbeing. Now add a Seaview and that would be heaven....

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

What direction did the garden face on the house you chose?

North-East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Just wondering would I get any decent sun with the plot I have highlighted in the attachment or would the house to the left block it as it moves around?

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You'd get loads of sun IMO. In the summer you're likely to get sun from late morning right through til sunset.

The house to the left is not likely to be a factor from early afternoon onward. In the summer, it's probably not going to be much of an issue at any point of the day, since it's directly south if you when the sun is at it's highest in the sky anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It has to make a big difference to heating bills aswell, the sun streams in through the patio doors most of the day into our kitchen and with the doors open downstairs it feels like the central heating is on during the day sometimes when you come in even though it only comes on at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I have a north facing garden. It's fine. Would I prefer south facing? Yeah absolutely. But it's fine. People saying it's damp and musty or whatever is a load of old rubbish. If in future we decide to move and we find the right house in the right location that just happens to be north facing, it won't stop us.

I grew up in a west facing house and it make the back of the house a furnace in the summer, honestly I nearly found it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have a north facing garden. It's fine. Would I prefer south facing? Yeah absolutely. But it's fine. People saying it's damp and musty or whatever is a load of old rubbish. If in future we decide to move and we find the right house in the right location that just happens to be north facing, it won't stop us.

I grew up in a west facing house and it make the back of the house a furnace in the summer, honestly I nearly found it worse.

But why would you prefer south.

You just said it's a load of rubbish..

. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

listermint wrote: »
    But why would you prefer south.

You just said it's a load of rubbish..

. ....

Odd post, I did not say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Buying first house myself.

Always living in an apartment (Duplex with south facing terrace/livingroom). I never considered orientation until I went sale agreed and saw one of these posts here. Immediately checked my garden (SE). Out of curiosity I drove to the showhouse to have a look at their garden, as it is the opposite of mine (one house behind another). Both SE and NW garden had enough sun on them in the afternoon. When I drove another day in the morning and another in the evening, the difference was small, in the evening the NW garden would have a bit of shade behind the house. The SE garden lost the sun a little bit earlier than the NW. Bottomline. I didn't see any difference that would push me one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Always living in an apartment (Duplex with south facing terrace/livingroom). I never considered orientation until I went sale agreed and saw one of these posts here. Immediately checked my garden (SE). Out of curiosity I drove to the showhouse to have a look at their garden, as it is the opposite of mine (one house behind another). Both SE and NW garden had enough sun on them in the afternoon. When I drove another day in the morning and another in the evening, the difference was small, in the evening the NW garden would have a bit of shade behind the house. The SE garden lost the sun a little bit earlier than the NW. Bottomline. I didn't see any difference that would push me one way or the other.

What time of year though?
    North facing will have sun in the garden in summer but not much if any during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It depends on the whole package I reckon myself.
    Is it a big garden, is there a big shared space, what is the house itself like, the surrounding houses?
    For me, I'd look at the bigger picture and wouldn't rule a place in or out based on garden aspect. Current house has large north facing garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

GreeBo wrote: »
    What time of year though?
    North facing will have sun in the garden in summer but not much if any during winter.

It was in around September

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In summer a north facing garden will have you sitting facing the house to get sun on your face. It’s not a big deal but I’d prefer to face down the garden. It won’t be show stopper to many but it depends on how you use your garden. Mine faces generally west maybe SW we get great sun from late morning till the sun goes down. We don’t have a huge garden and some of the neighbours on the opposite side of the road sit in their front gardens in the evening.

Advertisement