Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs involved with setting up your first home after you purchase the home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Depends a lot if you're buying new or an older house. We had a nice surprise after moving in finding our entire heating system needed to be replaced. If it's an older house then there's a good chance there'll be unforeseen costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I’ll echo strongly the “avoid debt” advice. Lots of even interest free loans to get you in and shifting new product. Easy to lump yourself with a load of new monthly outgoings that swamp you quicker than you expect. Pay for things with cash you have in your bank and make that the limiting factor on your expansion.

When I bought my first house I actually moved into a guest bedroom first as I didn’t have the money I needed for the bed I wanted. Got a decent but cheap bed and mattress and lived in that for a few weeks - and that’s all it was really, a few weeks. Got a hand me down sofa off a friends parents as they happened to be replacing it with a new suite. Got 4 years out of it before I went and replaced it, it was actually lovely to sit on but probably didn’t fit the decor of the house as it was outdated but let me tell you, free beats integrated style when you’re on a budget.

My suggestion is to go without for longer so you can afford things you really want or the quality you feel happiest with rather than buying cheaply and quick, unless it’s something essential like a fridge. So, do you need blinds and curtains on every room on day 1 or can you wait for the quality you want and do it slowly?

Good luck to you and anyone else reading this thread for advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I’ll echo strongly the “avoid debt” advice. Lots of even interest free loans to get you in and shifting new product. Easy to lump yourself with a load of new monthly outgoings that swamp you quicker than you expect. Pay for things with cash you have in your bank and make that the limiting factor on your expansion.

When I bought my first house I actually moved into a guest bedroom first as I didn’t have the money I needed for the bed I wanted. Got a decent but cheap bed and mattress and lived in that for a few weeks - and that’s all it was really, a few weeks. Got a hand me down sofa off a friends parents as they happened to be replacing it with a new suite. Got 4 years out of it before I went and replaced it, it was actually lovely to sit on but probably didn’t fit the decor of the house as it was outdated but let me tell you, free beats integrated style when you’re on a budget.

My suggestion is to go without for longer so you can afford things you really want or the quality you feel happiest with rather than buying cheaply and quick, unless it’s something essential like a fridge. So, do you need blinds and curtains on every room on day 1 or can you wait for the quality you want and do it slowly?

Good luck to you and anyone else reading this thread for advice!

As well if you are willing to buy/use some cheap/free furniture and items you may come across, this allows you to spend more on items that you really do not want to be replacing in the next 4-5 years such as curtains and flooring. You to spend more on a fridge freezer if you get a tide me over telly. You could go for good quality tiles and timber flooring if you are willing to pick up cheap furniture.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Seriously people are far too hung up on stuff being new. Put the word out that you're looking to furnish your place in the interim and you'll be surprised how many people in your circle are going to be looking to get rid of something free/cheaply.

I've actually gotten some great things over the years because of the nature of the industry I work in, people are always moving and selling stuff. I bought a 55 inch TV for €150 (less than 2 years old and in perfect condition when two English lads that had come over to Dublin for work were moving back to the UK and looking to offload stuff. They'd obviously paid a lot more for it new but they weren't going to be flatmates when they moved home so sold anything they'd bought jointly and I happened to be nagging at my OH to buy a bigger TV. We'd probably have spend €1000 if we'd bought new, so this just made it a now brainer.

I also got some lovely vintage/period pieces from my own parents when I moved into my current house - in this case its ideal because I got items with real sentimental value and they're beautiful antiques and really fit the house as its 115 years old so I really wanted a blend of old and new. One piece that is now in my living room originally belonged to my Dads great aunt so its been in the family for a hugely long time and is absolutely beautiful - I've no idea what its worth but I'd guess a lot. My mam never likes it but just took it into their house because its an heirloom and it ended up sitting in a room with too much furniture so she was happy for me to have it. All it cost me was about €40 to rent a small van to drive it from their house to mine.

I've also taken some prints and art work that my parents had from when they lived in London in the 70's and 80's. I love it because these pieces are real and authentic and give the place a real individual flair. I've friends who bought new builds and hired interior designers and while their homes are obviously stunning, they spend a bomb and they look a bit like hotels. Wouldnt be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

They have a warehouse sale in Cloghran 3 or 4 times a year.
    Household stuff can go up to 70% off
    You may have a limited selection but some real bargains to be had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

brisan wrote: »
    They have a warehouse sale in Cloghran 3 or 4 times a year.
    Household stuff can go up to 70% off
    You may have a limited selection but some real bargains to be had

That’s great to know, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

As ive just moved out whatever you think you will need, double it lol

jrosen wrote: »
    As ive just moved out whatever you think you will need, double it lol

Oh really? Oh

Even though I haven’t got my new place yet, I couldn’t resist. Bought some kitchen stuff etc. Some good offers with stores reopening

Even though I haven’t got my new place yet, I couldn’t resist. Bought some kitchen stuff etc. Some good offers with stores reopening

• Advertisement

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Extension cords and double adaptors! You may need these if there aren't enough power points (for your needs) in a room.

Toilet paper - on the day you move in!!

Iron and ironing board :)

Lightbulbs!

Hoover/sweeping brush/some type of mop/dustpan and brush.

Take people up on their offers to buy you a housewarming gift of some sort - you can get your crockery and cutlery sets that way, pots etc, small kitchen appliances, towels/bedding, that sort of thing. I would give them a general (not too expensive) price range though so as not to take advantage of their goodwill. No €600 coffee machines!! Keep an eye on sales to direct people towards those for gift purchases.

Quite honestly, you'll find out pretty quickly what you need or cannot do without.
    As an Electrician I can tell you that is probably the most dangerous advice on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭accensi0n

As an Electrician I can tell you that is probably the most dangerous advice on this thread

How bad is it?

Growing up, we had them in pretty much every room in the house. :pac:
    I'm currently using multiple in a 1 bed apartment...

accensi0n wrote: »
    How bad is it?

Growing up, we had them in pretty much every room in the house. :pac:
    I'm currently using multiple in a 1 bed apartment...
    OK only ok if you know what you are doing
    Only takes 1 person to plug a 13 a heater into an already near full adapter or lead and a fire is waiting to happen
    One tip ,if you are using an extension lead in a wind out cord always fully unwind it even if you only need 2 metres of the 10 metres
    If you have to use an extension lead always buy one with its own 13a fuse
    Better off getting a registered electrician to add extra sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

What to do as you approach move in date...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

OK only ok if you know what you are doing
    Only takes 1 person to plug a 13 a heater into an already near full adapter or lead and a fire is waiting to happen
    One tip ,if you are using an extension lead in a wind out cord always fully unwind it even if you only need 2 metres of the 10 metres
    If you have to use an extension lead always buy one with its own 13a fuse
    Better off getting a registered electrician to add extra sockets

Surge protector is king. I find in the room where I have PC etc I never have enough plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Hey everyone 😊 I'm in the process of purchasing a new home. It would be great to get your opinion on what brands you bought, for how much and from where:
    Flooring
    Beds
    Mattresses
    Blinds
    Sofas
    Hob
    Oven
    Microwave
    Fridge
    Dishwasher
    Washing machine
    Dryer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Budget 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

don't forget a vacuum cleaner & add a small stepladder to your list, essential when moving into a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hey everyone 😊 I'm in the process of purchasing a new home. It would be great to get your opinion on what brands you bought, for how much and from where:
    Flooring
    Beds
    Mattresses
    Blinds
    Sofas
    Hob
    Oven
    Microwave
    Fridge
    Dishwasher
    Washing machine
    Dryer

You should make a list of all your electrical (white goods) reguirenents, add on small electrical like toaster , hoover, electrical kettle etc, etc. Take your list to retailers that deal in these get them to list a make and model of each and price you for the whole lot

Recently I got a hob, oven and washing machine for a rental new for around 600 euro. The oven and hob came in a pack from Beko.
    Electrical goods can be replaced fairly handy.

However timber floors, tiling etc are a twenty year investment so target money at things like that. As you see earlier in the thread fairly good furniture can be purchased second hand from charity shops.

Slava Ukrainii

Flooring
    Beds
    Mattresses
    Blinds
    Sofas
    Hob
    Oven
    Microwave
    Fridge
    Dishwasher
    Washing machine
    Dryer

Take this list to an electrical shop and see what they will do. My brother did this. He went to one of those electronics stores (think their nationwide) They gave deals like the beko one mentioned above but also threw in small appliances for free like toaster and Murphy Richards kettle and a third item but I can’t remember the name.

Be careful where you buy, make sure it’s a common brand. I know a lady who bought a washing machine in Argos , a part went in it and had to be ordered from the U.K. took 6 weeks to arrive (Covid probably delayed it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hey everyone �� I'm in the process of purchasing a new home. It would be great to get your opinion on what brands you bought, for how much and from where:
    Flooring
    Beds
    Mattresses
    Blinds
    Sofas
    Hob
    Oven
    Microwave
    Fridge
    Dishwasher
    Washing machine
    Dryer
    This really is so variable depending on quality and specifications you want. You can spend €200 or €2000 on a mattress. Likewise you can get a standard tumble dryer for a few hundred or you can spend 2 grand on one that steams clothes so they don’t need ironing

Thanks for your responses 😊
    I'm gonna take this list and get quotes from various stores. Any particular brands or types you'd recommend?
    For eg. I read somewhere that an orthopaedic mattress is highly recommended.

Thanks for your responses ��
    I'm gonna take this list and get quotes from various stores. Any particular brands or types you'd recommend?
    For eg. I read somewhere that an orthopaedic mattress is highly recommended.

Always spend big money on shoes and mattresses
    You spend 16hrs a day in one and 8 hrs a day in the other.
    Do not underestimate the quality of life a good nights sleep will give you
    It will have a positive effect on nearly all aspects of your life
    I would look to spend at least 2 k on a good double mattress
    Buy cheap and you will replace it in a year or two

Always spend big money on shoes and mattresses
    You spend 16hrs a day in one and 8 hrs a day in the other.
    Do not underestimate the quality of life a good nights sleep will give you
    It will have a positive effect on nearly all aspects of your life
    I would look to spend at least 2 k on a good double mattress
    Buy cheap and you will replace it in a year or two

Thank you. Could you recommend what type of mattresses are considered good?
    Any particular stores you'd recommend?

Thank you. Could you recommend what type of mattresses are considered good?
    Any particular stores you'd recommend?

King Coil and Silentnight have good reviews
    Personally I would not recommend a mattress that comes rolled up
    Check reviews and then check retailers when you have found models that suit
    Harvey Norman have regular sales as do Arnotts
    I am sure there are more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Gael23 wrote: »
    This really is so variable depending on quality and specifications you want. You can spend €200 or €2000 on a mattress. Likewise you can get a standard tumble dryer for a few hundred or you can spend 2 grand on one that steams clothes so they don’t need ironing

Tempting....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If your new property has a utility / laundry room remember that no-one is likely to be looking at your washing machine / dryer. You can pick up refurbished units on adverts for €100 or so that you'll get a few years out of. When we bought, I picked up a washer dryer for €50 from a chap moving out of a nearby apartment that lasted us over 3 years - pretty much the life expectancy of any of the budget priced electrical stuff you'd get from the major stores. Aside from a few notable exceptions (which you can discern from the price-tag on them e.g. Miele) most branding on electrical goods is meaningless: a lot of the "quality" brands you remember from your childhood have been bought and sold multiple times and often it's literally only the brand-name itself that's been bought, the vast majority of this stuff is made as cheaply as possible in order to be sold as cheaply as possible and designed to only last 3 to 5 years (just beyond the warranty basically). The days of a fridge or a washing machine lasting 25 years are long gone unless you're spending really top money.

Would you end up spending much on cleaning stuff, vacuums and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭wench

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would you end up spending much on cleaning stuff, vaccines and so on?
    I know you're looking in west Dublin, but it's not that bad!! :eek:

• Advertisement

wench wrote: »
    I know you're looking in west Dublin, but it's not that bad!! :eek:

iPhone autocorrect once again😂

Advertisement