Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lucid Dreaming Guide - Introduction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

For me, lucid dreams are prefaced by a weird, almost electrical buzzing in my chest. Most of the time this wakes me up before the lucid dream can get going properly.

Only had three so far, they've all been in locations familiar to me, and I've woken up before I've been able to manipulate things and do things I really want to (of course, first instinct is always, "All right, who can I have sex with?"). I was flying in two of them.

Reading this thread, I might give some of the induction techniques a go, see if I can make them last longer.

By the sounds of it, I get something very similar to what you describe, but at the start and end of a full-blown OBE - whole body begins to shake, vibrate.

I make the distinction (for myself) between a lucid dream: where you wake up within the dream but are still very much in a dream landscape. And an out of body experience, where you wake up within the dream but are in what appears to be the waking world.

I remember panicking the first time I'd had a proper OBE, pacing around my room looking for a weapon - there was somebody in my bed! And then calming down, how the feck did they get in? creeping up very slowly to 'whoever' was in my bed, peering at the guy's face going, looks familiar ... looks fecking familiar .... and finally aaaaaah! Screaming my tits off when I realised it was me!

Well anyway, all good fun after that. Almost, except some very freaky experiences which I suppose are par for the course when involved with these types of practices.

Does anybody else have any experiences of sharing the same dream with someone else? I.e. Both you and the other person interacting with each other in the same dream-scape, the same night?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Lucid dreams sound so interesting.....just like the movie Inception! I want to have one :D Maybe I can go visit Leo DiCaprio..... :P

I had a nightmare where I woke up in my bed and a ghost was attacking and possessing me two nights ago, I thought it was real until a friend of mine appeared in the room (but couldnt help me ) then I knew I was dreaming and woke myself up....what was that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

very interesting topic,

I actually start to read this part of boards, which I never thought existed.

I was trying to convince my partner that I actually have some control over my dream, such as I am conscious I am dreaming and even can fly or have some power over the surrounding.

Of course to a certain extend as most of the dream like the story is out of control.

I am going to experiment on a few things in the future (switching lights etc...)

very interesting.

Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Similar to the above post, I once had a dream where I had some measure of control and knew I was dreaming.

Eventually I awoke, attempted to go back into the dream but failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I got into lucid dreaming after watching the film 'Waking Life' a few years ago, and having had a spontaneous lucid dream a few months beforehand.

Had an idea the other day for a handy reality check, I'm thinking of getting a ring made which reads 'Are you awake?'. Even if the text doesn't change or become unreadable during a dream, it should prompt further reality checks.

• I had my first lucid dream in a while last night. I identified it through a sign that changed on second look, at first it seemed to contain writing, but the second look was different and the writing illegible.

As per usual my 1st instict was to fly. However, I wasn't able to fly as smoothly as I normally am, and I had to somewhat flap my arms to stay up, and my arms would get tired and I'd fall! So it was as if I only had semi control, which may have been something to do with the fact that I was a little drunk the night before!

I've been lazy with practicing lately but I forgot how awesome it is, I'm going to restart my dream recall techiques and maybe even start keeping a journal which I never really did before.

I had my first lucid dream in a while last night. I identified it through a sign that changed on second look, at first it seemed to contain writing, but the second look was different and the writing illegible.

As per usual my 1st instict was to fly. However, I wasn't able to fly as smoothly as I normally am, and I had to somewhat flap my arms to stay up, and my arms would get tired and I'd fall! So it was as if I only had semi control, which may have been something to do with the fact that I was a little drunk the night before!

lol! I went on the wagon for a couple of years and had heaps of lucid drunk dreams! Great, no lucid hangovers ;)
    I've been lazy with practicing lately but I forgot how awesome it is, I'm going to restart my dream recall techiques and maybe even start keeping a journal which I never really did before
    Keeping journal worked for me in the past, and appears to be standard practice for many dreamers. Also, reminding yourself during the day, just thinking about dreaming, giving yourself the 'intent', can speed up results.

• lol! I went on the wagon for a couple of years and had heaps of lucid drunk dreams! Great, no lucid hangovers ;).

Normally when I fly I'm like Hancock or Superman in that I just jump up and do it, I'm weightless etc... having to flap my arms to achieve flight was a new one! I also failed on a backflip attempt and landed on my face, which woke me up!
    Keeping journal worked for me in the past, and appears to be standard practice for many dreamers. Also, reminding yourself during the day, just thinking about dreaming, giving yourself the 'intent', can speed up results.

I never kept one. I would take the 1st 5 minutes of being awake to lie there in the different positions and recall as much as I could of my dreams. But I've never had them with the frequency and regularity that I would ideally like, so if keeping a journal will do this for me then I'm definitely going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

If i have had a dream before, i know I've had it before and if i don't like the direction in which the dream goes i change its direction. I sometimes can force myself to have the same dream again and purposely alter it.

I often dream that i die and sometimes i can change it to make me live. I sometimes can make my self fly in dream too and control where i go, but sometimes its uncontrolled the wind is blowing me rather than me flying, sometimes i come down to earth with a bump and wake my other half up.

I had one dream a few years back that i was on a boat and a plane burst into flames overhead, 4 days later a plane took off from new york and blew up over the sea. That was weird, i was in Ireland and not on a boat looking at the plane explode so it was not a premonition just a coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

I dreamt lucidly once.

I was able to fly at will change the scenary and even do things I would never do when awake :P all because I knew I was in the dream and I was safe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Have been trying to lucid dream for a while but I cant seem to grab hold of my dream and take control. I guess its just not meant to be :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Yakult wrote: »
    Have been trying to lucid dream for a while but I cant seem to grab hold of my dream and take control. I guess its just not meant to be :(

Don't try to force it man-just let it come naturally. But you gotta keep the idea in your head for it to penetrate into your subconscious mind. Keep reading about LD every day, and read your dream journal before going to sleep.

The force is with you, my friend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I have started since yesterday trying to get lucid. I made my own reality test on the computer and used it yesterday. I have also started a journal on my dreams.

At the end of my dreams last night my mind even started a small one! I was using the google searchbar and search terms where coming up and I was trying to comprehend them.

Don't try to force it man-just let it come naturally. But you gotta keep the idea in your head for it to penetrate into your subconscious mind. Keep reading about LD every day, and read your dream journal before going to sleep.

Maybe theiir was the problem, dont have a dream journal. Started one from last night tho so il give that a read.

My previous dreams have been totally crazy and in just weird locations i have not seeing before. No one seems familiar or anything so maybe the dream journal will do some good!

If you have any other tips could you pm me maybe.

Will let you know what happens either way!

Maybe theiir was the problem, dont have a dream journal. Started one from last night tho so il give that a read.

My previous dreams have been totally crazy and in just weird locations i have not seeing before. No one seems familiar or anything so maybe the dream journal will do some good!

If you have any other tips could you pm me maybe.

Will let you know what happens either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

About a year ago I read a book about lucid dreaming and practised the techniques but nothing really worked for me that well, so basically I gave up

Then, honest to god, last week I read this thread and had an extremly lucid dream the same night. I was in full control and was completely aware I was dreaming, it really was amazing, being able to fly is cool!

I distinctly remember flying from Dublin to Galway and then from Galway to London, there was a sort of yellow misty glow that was a constant throughout the dream and that made it feel really positive and made for a nice vibe

I've had another one since, I wasn't able to fly in this one but it was still really cool and vivid, the cloudy yellow mist was present again for this one aswel, which I find interesting

Also, the two times I've had them, I have been sleeping on my back which isn't the norm for me as I usually sleep face down. On both occasions I'd had a few beers aswel, which may or may not be relevant

Will keep you lot posted if I have any more, it really is a fascinating subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Began keeping a dream diary as of three days ago, mainly due to the craziness of my dreams but I also am trying to lucid dream. So far nothing major happening. I'll keep you updated if it goes well. Am going to try that "A" on your palm thing and setting your alarm to wake you up half way through your sleep now too. I'm only trying methods that I read briefly from a wikihow article or something as I haven't had much time to sit and read a long article recently with exams and stuff coming up.
    I occasionally get a little bit of sleep paralysis (about once or twice a month max) and some night terrors (a few times a year) if that has anything to do with it. Not nice experiences.

I'll keep you updated if any success is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Began keeping a dream diary as of three days ago, mainly due to the craziness of my dreams but I also am trying to lucid dream. So far nothing major happening. I'll keep you updated if it goes well. Am going to try that "A" on your palm thing and setting your alarm to wake you up half way through your sleep now too. I'm only trying methods that I read briefly from a wikihow article or something as I haven't had much time to sit and read a long article recently with exams and stuff coming up.
    I occasionally get a little bit of sleep paralysis (about once or twice a month max) and some night terrors (a few times a year) if that has anything to do with it. Not nice experiences.

I'll keep you updated if any success is made.

I used to get night terrors and sleep paralysis frequently. (not pleasent) Remaining calm after and if can manage it during helped me control my dreaming now I lucid dream and don't (touch wood) get the bad uns anymore. It might help if you wake up from a terror to close your eyes and continue the dream (imagine) and try to transform it too a nice pleasent experience.. I reckon these dreams are really powerful and if channeled correctly can be best trip ever... well thats what helped me learn to lucid dream..

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

had my fifth lucid dream last night/this morning. it started off when i was on the outside ledge on a high building, about 30m from the ground and holding on as it was a very precarious situation. i was trying to remember how i got into the situation when i thought it must be a dream of some sort. as i've had lucid dreams before, i decided to see and tried to change the colour of the paint on the wall. the colour changed so i knew it was a dream.

at this point i realize there's no need for me to keep holding on as i'm not going to get hurt and fell face first into the ground. and then i got lazy, i knew i could wake up if i wanted, control the dream if i felt like it or go back into proper sleep. i chose the latter. just too lazy even in my dreams to have to work for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

thought this might be of interest:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1047510073/remee-the-rem-enhancing-lucid-dreaming-mask

Remee targets these long chunks of REM sleep towards the end of the sleep period. Before bed, turn Remee on, fine tune the brightness of the lights (if needed) and then go to sleep. Remee will wait for an initial long delay, usually 4-5 hours, until you're in the heart of the heavy REM stages, before initializing light patterns. After the initial long delay Remee will display light patterns for 15-20 seconds with a second shorter delay, default at 15 minutes, between each signal. During non-REM sleep the lights are unlikely to effect you, but if you're in REM sleep the lights will bleed into your dreams, presenting a perfect chance to become lucid.

Of course it could just be mad science

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

growler wrote: »

I have one of those ordered ;-)

Haven't tried much lucid dreaming in the past few years, looking forward to trying this yoke out.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Cabria wrote: »
    I've been a lucid dreamer for about 9 or 10 years now. I can make anything else happen in a dream but give myself the ability to fly. In fairness, I've only tried flying a few times. It never works, though. Is it in response to a fear or something? I love flying in airplanes and I find the sky intriguing so it's not an aversion to be in the sky... Anyone know anything about how to get yourself flying in dreams?

That's something I have trouble with too. In my lucid dreams I can fly, but I have trouble maintaining flight. My unconscious mind won't accept that I can fly and I'll eventually have to fall.
    I've figured out a trick that helps somewhat, when I start to fall I put all of my momentum into the dive and pick up speed, then before hitting the ground I swoop back upwards like a hanglider on an updraft, the momentum allows me to continue on for a while.
    After doing this several times, the unconscious mind seems to accept that flight is happening and I have more free control over it.

It's funny, even though I'm aware that I'm dreaming, my mind is so used to the normal physical laws that it tries to adhere to them out of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

I fly frequently in my dreams. I find I fly much better if I have something or someone chasing me, if I feel complacent and am just sight seeing I don't fly as well. Try setting yourself a challenge like a race or an enemy :D Great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarahmartina

I have very vivid dreams that can haunt me months afterwards. I would love to have control over my dreams it sounds amazing. I look forward to reading your guide on how to do it. some of my dreams can be very disturbing so hopefully I can learn to change that....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭madnolla

wish I was asleep now

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

just came across this section and found it very interesting

not everynight now but some nights i can almost be in full control of my dreams , just the other night in my dream i was waiting for a bus with friends and said ah sure ill just get into my ferrari across the road and off we went to the house across the road and there was the ferrari in the drive

i also can remember my dreams in great detail as in numbers or clothes or playing what seems like a full match i can remember nearly every pass and shot while dreaming

on a rare occasion i would be awake but still dreaming kinda hard to explain but i fell asleep about 2 weeks ago and family guy was on tv and in my dream i was watching family guy but telling myself to wake up but it kept getting darker and the tv getting smaller and then bigger it was quite scary to be honest as i was shouting at myself in the dream to wake up but no way would i

eventually i said just calm down relax its only a dream and i just opened my eyes and family guy was on tv exactly the same that was in dream , might sound kind of cool but can be quite frightening at times ha ha

im going to enjoy reading through the forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lisa1992

So I just discovered i'm not 100% mental, unknown to myself I have been lucid dreaming for about 5 years now... When it first started happening it terrified me, I really hadn't a clue what was going on. As of late i've just come to accept the fast that I can talk myself through my dreams while im sleeping. I really enjoy it now, most nights I lucid dream and if I ever try sleep during the day it literally takes seconds to occur. Its amazing for years I've had no idea wtf was going on but came to accept it. Just after coming across this thread and am mind blown about this, never had a clue what it was just thought it was some weird brain glitch. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Hey guys have anyone flown in your dreams and how does it feel like?.The closest I got was jumping from building to building :D.Honestly it felt great I felt the altitude and also felt the force gravity under my feet then suddenly I fell down landing on a road(like in the movies).Then I woke up to realise it was over :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

In recent times, I have Lucid some lucid dreams, and I usually can control them in the way I like...

Advertisement