Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reduced Fares and Caps in September on Leap

• 19-09-2019 6:54pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From 16th to 29th September there will be a special offer running on all Leap Cards resulting in reductions to daily cap amounts and reductions on single fares.

Reduced Caps in Dublin
    TFI are lowering the TFI Leap Card weekly caps, so if you travel on Dublin Bus, Go-Ahead Ireland, Luas, DART and Commuter Rail (Short-Hop zone), you won’t pay more than €25 for students and adults and €7 for children; the next time you travel on those services during that week you travel for free!

Galway, Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Athlone, Balbriggan, Drogheda, Dundalk, Navan, Sligo Bus Eireann Discounts
    TFI Leap City and Town single fares are reduced by an additional 30% ecluding Expressway, Intercity and Rural services.

Full list of promotional fares at:
    https://about.leapcard.ie/september-fares-promotion

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grumble grumble paid in advance grumble grumble....

Annual tickets are already anywhere from basically useless - once holidays and so on are taken in to account - to actually a waste of money unless you're getting Taxsaver. And there's plenty of people paying only USC/PRSI or those + 20% PAYE so not getting the full savings.

I get the promotional advantage of it, but it is just a tad annoying. Like ISP new customer offers and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not seeing any real advantage to this for the average guy - 25 euro cap so if using Dublin bus you might get a free ride at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not seeing any real advantage to this for the average guy - 25 euro cap so if using Dublin bus you might get a free ride at the weekend

25 quid to travel on all Dublin public transport for the whole week is good value. Obviously depends on usage. But if I got a bus to town (3quid) and luas to work (2.80) and same trip back, with cash that's 11.60. by 5 days is 58quid. Then a return dart to howth on Saturday, you're up to about 65quid, versus 25.

With the leap card it costs me a fiver a day - 2.50ish on the bus or dart depending on my mood on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Anyone using an Xpresso on leap would be paying €3 each way so I guess their trip home on a Friday would be free.

Almost everyone using those regularly would likely have some type of ticket though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fritzelly wrote: »

No fare caps outside the pale though: we are getting a real cash discount.

Ended up availing of this as worked overtime, cost 90c instead of a fiver for the dart on Saturday there and back so I take back my complaint

Advertisement