Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car park issue

• 19-09-2019 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

I bought an apartment 2 years ago and we all have our designated parking bays outside

The bays aren’t particularly wide but they are not small either to bang doors of the next car

My neighbour does. I get on fine with him and I’ve repeatedly asked him to be mindful. I showed him the white marks on my door where he has been doing it the last 2 years. Was full of apologies but it still happens

I’ve since bought a new car and already I’ve Marks on my door

He parks his car too near to one side of his bay then in the middle

Surely there has to be a solution?

Comments

Surely there has to be a solution?

Buy a house with a drive is the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

CCTV to get proof and claim from his insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Some people just don't care and our system reinforces that. It's always someone else's fault if something goes wrong, sue for thousands. So it's your fault for having a nice car that he's damaging the edge of his door on.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do with these types. They might stop hitting your car for a few days or weeks but as you posted they return to form.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    CCTV to get proof and claim from his insurance?

They'll be great neighbours then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Buy him one of these

Or buy yourself a Citroen Cactus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

He has a nice car too , he would cry if I banged off his

I couldn’t care what car is beside me, I’d never dream of hitting someone else’s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If he has apologised, he knows he is doing it and doesn't give a shít. Ask somebody to quote you for repainting your door and give him the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The OP could buy the neighbour a Skoda Kodiaq. They come with automatic door protectors. It would be cheaper than buying the op buying a house. They could also avail of low interest rates on PCP.

The OP could buy the neighbour a Skoda Kodiaq. They come with automatic door protectors. It would be cheaper than buying the op buying a house. They could also avail of low interest rates on PCP.

Would you know off hand if the 2017 specs have this as standard?

Can see 3 in dondeal for less than 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Del2005 wrote: »
    They'll be great neighbours then.

They are hardly great neighbours now if car is getting damaged.
    What do you value more your car or your neighbour? Sadly in this case can't have both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Are they usually in the same place on the car? If so, buy a parking come and put it in the same area against the side of your car. It will protect it aswell as give him a visual compass of where is door is going.

antodeco wrote: »
    Are they usually in the same place on the car? If so, buy a parking come and put it in the same area against the side of your car. It will protect it aswell as give him a visual compass of where is door is going.

Thanks, what is a parking come?

Sounds a good idea though

Cone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

This was on my list after roof and walls!!! Had dreadful problems with a neighbour... Never again!!!!

Though you can still get dopes parking infront of the drive.

Thanks, what is a parking come?

Sounds a good idea though

Cone!

Think they mean traffic cone. Not many parking places have enough space to put a cone between the spaces and be able to park. There's also the trip hazard risk in our litigious county.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Would a car cover work? It would protect some of the paintwork I'm sure? I would hate the hassle of it myself tbh.

Have you talked to management company? Though they'll probably do sfa!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Would a car cover work? It would protect some of the paintwork I'm sure? I would hate the hassle of it myself tbh.

The first rule of management company neighbour disputes.

Tell them to sort it amongst themselves. So yeah. Further damaged car in the OP's future.

Ordered door defenders from amazon . A little pricey but gets excellent reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ordered door defenders from amazon . A little pricey but gets excellent reviews
    What if he doesn't use them?

(At least you're getting to park in your space. Back in the 1990's I lived in an apartment and my designated space was regularly occupied by other vehicles).

What if he doesn't use them?

(At least you're getting to park in your space. Back in the 1990's I lived in an apartment and my designated space was regularly occupied by other vehicles).

They attach on to my doors .
    Foam padded strip that attaches by suckers or magnets within the foam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Its awfully disrespectful and very annoying any person who is not a car person will look at you thinking your nuts. Shopping centres are the minefield.

Id go for the magnet strip of foam.

Or you could reverse your car in next time and start dooring him.😋

And if he keeps doing it... I wouldn't trust myself with a key.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He sounds like an inconsiderate prick tbh.

I'm not sure he's you can do here. But be an incosiderate prick back it won't make you feel better but its fire with fire.

They attach on to my doors .
    Foam padded strip that attaches by suckers or magnets within the foam

He'll probably knock them off to bang your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Not wanting to go off the subject too much, but why do you think the management company should get involved. It has nothing to do with them.

Advertisement