Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2019, 22:24   #1
pburns

New Defender - yah or nah?

Surprised in a way no thread on this already.

In two minds, honestly think it will be overpriced & a pure fashion icon. Despite it's capabilities most owners will be urban poseurs. A Lancruiser or Hi-lux is probably the spiritual successor to the original Defender (in many ways the Toyota legend has far surpassed Land Rover). Even the Discovery Sport is probably a less pretentious alternative.

However..another side of me really likes it, especially the 90. Maybe when they release the commercial versions it'll really earn it's stripes.

(BTW I have an old 4x4 Nissan pickup hack myself. It's a giant wheelbarrow & has even pulled an old chain-harrow recently for small bit of re-seeding.)
Advertisement
16-09-2019, 22:36   #2
krissovo

Big thumbs up from me!

It’s modern and retro at the same time, but I would need to see one in the flesh and check out the mechanicals. Hopefully it would stick to the old recipe of simple and rugged mechanics with a galvanized shell.

There is a Toyota FJ Cruiser vibe going on which I grew very fond of when I lived in the States.
16-09-2019, 22:54   #3
Atlantic Dawn

Yes can see Toyota FJ Cruiser in it.

They should make a more basic rugged version with not as much technology in it, can't see it taking the abuse of the old Defenders.
16-09-2019, 23:06   #4
Voodoomelon

I like it a lot and I don't usually like Jeeps.

As above, I reckon it will be a lot more fragile than the original.
17-09-2019, 08:20   #5
Jude13

After years spending a fortune on the electrics and air suspension on land rovers I gave up. They were some machines when they worked but you were always waiting for the next warning light and spending your holiday fund on the next fault which the LR mechanics usually took months to diagnose the real problem.

I have had two toyota's in the past five years, the landcruiser's little sister (the Colorado/150 series) and the full blown land cruiser (amazon) which blow the LR out of the water for reliability and cost.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-09-2019, 09:34   #6
etxp

Its a yah-nah from me. Looks good from some angles and not so good from others. I imagine it would look good in full off-road spec.
17-09-2019, 09:54   #7
zilog_jones

Send a message via MSN to zilog_jones
I don't get where it's supposed to fit in the Land Rover range now - the previous Defender was purely utilitarian, and now it's not. So besides the SWB version, what makes this different from say, a Discovery?
(2) thanks from:
17-09-2019, 09:59   #8
biko
Arbiter

What it looks like etc

17-09-2019, 10:33   #9
josip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude13 View Post
After years spending a fortune on the electrics and air suspension on land rovers I gave up. They were some machines when they worked but you were always waiting for the next warning light and spending your holiday fund on the next fault which the LR mechanics usually took months to diagnose the real problem.

I have had two toyota's in the past five years, the landcruiser's little sister (the Colorado/150 series) and the full blown land cruiser (amazon) which blow the LR out of the water for reliability and cost.

Yep, if you want to go into the bush...
Advertisement
17-09-2019, 10:45   #10
Jude13

Mainly used commuting and bringing the family around. I do use it camping/off roading. On road the Toyota is a beaut, though the engine on the LR 3 I had was the v8 with was lovely, when there were no warning lights.
17-09-2019, 10:50   #11
Jude13

Damn it, after watching that video its really growing on me
17-09-2019, 12:45   #12
R.O.R

I like, but it's a big departure from the old Discovery and I'm also not sure where it's going to fit.

Already had interest in it, so got some timelines.
First models appearing in showrooms March 2020 and they will all be 240ps S model 110's
200ps models available from June 2020
Defender 90 will be available later in 2020. Commercial 90 will be late 2020, possibly 2021.

No pricing yet, but not going to be cheap. I doubt it will hold it's value like the outgoing model either.
17-09-2019, 13:10   #13
Ubbquittious

A defender with a PRNDL box is all sorts of wrong
Thanks from:
17-09-2019, 15:40   #14
Bluefoam

This thing is nothing like an FJ Cruiser. I've owned one & it's like driving an incredibly capable offroad van, I've also owned & customised a Jeep Wrangler... When you bust the bumper, you replace it with a metal one. When the suspension blows, you swap it out for a raised aftermarket variation. You drive it over and through things...

The New Defender has air sispension... Never ever take it off road. One day it will blow and cost you thousands to fix. This thing doesn't have a ladder chassis, it has a tub, derived from the Range Rover, with an extra gusset occassionally... DO NOT USE OFFROAD... you have any kind of ding and you're fooked. It doesn't have a hose down interior. Bumpers are colour matched (lol) not on an offroad vehicle. This is a pretentious soccer mom car, overpriced and less than useful. Is it ca[pable of being driven on a gravel track, yes, can it get through deep puddles, yes, can it manage some offroading, sure... should you do any of those things? no, never, neh!

I did a track day in Dubai with Jaguar & part of it was to try some Landrovers on a custom built offroad course... I took out a Freelander, with 3" bullet proof glass and full bombproof armour. It had allot of electronic gadgetry & it would drive itself down a 45degree slope without human input... but you had to know and understand a series of button pushes and sequences to make it do anything... We had great fun in it, but laughed at the suggestion of actually taking it offroad. Too complex, too delicate & too expensive to mess with...
17-09-2019, 15:59   #15
Del2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoam View Post
This thing is nothing like an FJ Cruiser. I've owned one & it's like driving an incredibly capable offroad van, I've also owned & customised a Jeep Wrangler... When you bust the bumper, you replace it with a metal one. When the suspension blows, you swap it out for a raised aftermarket variation. You drive it over and through things...

The New Defender has air sispension... Never ever take it off road. One day it will blow and cost you thousands to fix. This thing doesn't have a ladder chassis, it has a tub, derived from the Range Rover, with an extra gusset occassionally... DO NOT USE OFFROAD... you have any kind of ding and you're fooked. It doesn't have a hose down interior. Bumpers are colour matched (lol) not on an offroad vehicle. This is a pretentious soccer mom car, overpriced and less than useful. Is it ca[pable of being driven on a gravel track, yes, can it get through deep puddles, yes, can it manage some offroading, sure... should you do any of those things? no, never, neh!

I did a track day in Dubai with Jaguar & part of it was to try some Landrovers on a custom built offroad course... I took out a Freelander, with 3" bullet proof glass and full bombproof armour. It had allot of electronic gadgetry & it would drive itself down a 45degree slope without human input... but you had to know and understand a series of button pushes and sequences to make it do anything... We had great fun in it, but laughed at the suggestion of actually taking it offroad. Too complex, too delicate & too expensive to mess with...
There's no market for proper off road vehicles in most countries, you can't buy the proper Land Cruiser in Europe, so why would a company spend millions developing a vehicle with no market? Look at the tyres on any 4x4 and you'll see what they are used for, not many have proper off road tyres and I'd hazard a guess that a good few that do are only for show.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion