Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Late delivery consumer rights?

• 09-09-2019 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I was scheduled to get a TV collected to be repaired under warranty. I was send several messages from know how elling me someone would call between 11.30 to 3.30. They didn't arrive to take my TV away, and when I called them they were unhelpful and told me a bunch off lies. Do I have any rights in this situation? They scheduled a time and I'm sure if it was the other way around and I wasn't here they would charge to call again. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

T0MMY wrote: »
    I was scheduled to get a TV collected to be repaired under warranty. I was send several messages from know how elling me someone would call between 11.30 to 3.30. They didn't arrive to take my TV away, and when I called them they were unhelpful and told me a bunch off lies. Do I have any rights in this situation? They scheduled a time and I'm sure if it was the other way around and I wasn't here they would charge to call again. TIA.

I don't believe you have any comeback regarding the no show. You can request that they offer you something as a gesture of goodwill but they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭T0MMY

I don't believe you have any comeback regarding the no show. You can request that they offer you something as a gesture of goodwill but they don't have to.

Pity. I believe this is covered under consumer law in the UK. Thanks.

I believe this is covered under consumer law in the UK.

That's very interesting. Would you happen to have a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pity. I believe this is covered under consumer law in the UK. Thanks.

You aren't covered by consumer law as you most likely don't have a contract with the company picking up the item if it's a warranty repair, the vendor has the contract with the courier not you. The only people you can complain to are the vendors who arranged the courier and they won't care about the collection.

You're right Del2005, my guarantee is with Curry's. The courier is their problem.

They (Team Knowhow) made a new appointment to collect it today and they didn't arrive. That's a no show 2 days on the trot. I'm going to ask them to take it back and give me a refund, but I'm sure they'll have none of it.

Slippin Jimmy - In UK (and probably Irish law too) if you purchase something in a bricks and mortar shop and agree at the time of purchase a delivery time or date, and the item doesn't come at the agreed time/date, you're entitled to a refund. I think in the UK you can claim for missed work time too. If you think about it, I bought guarantee at the time of purchase, which Currys have failed to deliver on, twice, so I should be entitled to a refund.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

According to CCPC I should be entitled to a replacement or refund because the TV is broken, so I'm going to pursue that :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

According to CCPC I should be entitled to a replacement or refund because the TV is broken, so I'm going to pursue that :)

Effective repair is also a valid outcome and a missed collection doesn't really stack up as sufficient reason to say a repair won't/can't be effective

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

L1011 wrote: »
    Effective repair is also a valid outcome and a missed collection doesn't really stack up as sufficient reason to say a repair won't/can't be effective

IF he makes reasonable attempts to let them repair and they fail/refuse to do so, surely he can then start to look at refund or replacement?

Tommy- I'd give them one more attempt at pick up for repair then look at other remedies. keep copy of appt time/dates that were missed as proof incase you need it.

I've given them 2 chances to repair the TV, now I want a refund. The small claims court (which only costs E25) will almost certainly deem a TV that cost E900 and broke within 2 years as defective, and in that case I can insist on a refund because I have lost faith in the product (which I have). The warranty/guarantee doesn't really factor into it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I can insist on a refund because I have lost faith in the product

Is that a new consumer law that I missed?

• Advertisement

The retailer gets to decide on the repair, replace or refund side of things and not the consumer unfortunately. If the retailer decides to go for the repair option it must be a permanent fix and not become faulty again for the same reason. If it does, you can ask for a replacement or a refund.

In your case, they have failed to collect the TV twice. If you have any emails from them stating that there was a failed collection make sure that it states why. I wish you luck with the small claims court. Please keep the thread updated as to the outcome.

Update: I made a claim for a full refund through the small claims court, and Currys failed to respond, so I haven't had to go to court. An order has been sent to them to pay me the €900 I originally paid for the TV. They have 4 weeks to appeal the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And the lesson os

NEVER EVER BUY FROM CURRYS

Their customer service is abysmal. Always has been.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Update: I made a claim for a full refund through the small claims court, and Currys failed to respond, so I haven't had to go to court. An order has been sent to them to pay me the €900 I originally paid for the TV. They have 4 weeks to appeal the decision.

Well done, great to get the end result feedback.
    I've taken the SCC route three times and was a breeze in my favour every time.
    I would have a very short lead time in giving any retailer their "chance" before just going the SCC route.

Well done again, let us know the final final outcome

PS no need to buy shop warranty packages, the Irish consumer protection is all anyone should ever need

slave1 wrote: »
    Well done, great to get the end result feedback.
    I've taken the SCC route three times and was a breeze in my favour every time.
    I would have a very short lead time in giving any retailer their "chance" before just going the SCC route.

Well done again, let us know the final final outcome

PS no need to buy shop warranty packages, the Irish consumer protection is all anyone should ever need

Hi. I only saw this reply now.

Currys still haven't paid so I'm getting a decree sent out in the post which I can take to the sheriff who will hopefully collect the debt.

One question - the last thing the registrar said in his email was that Currys can still appeal the ruling. Would you happen to have any idea how long they have to lodge an appeal? I don't want to buy a new TV until I know for sure I won't be stuck with the old one as well.

One last note - because Currys didn't respond in time (they did dispute the claim but they were too late) I think I'll get to keep the old TV as well as getting a refund :)

The registrar told me that they are usually quite quick to respond to claims so I think I was just lucky. My claim coincided with black Friday and the lead up to Christmas, so I'd say they were v busy.

Update: I've been informed they're applying for appeal so I'll have to wait and see what happens...

Advertisement