Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AMD Navi Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

sugarman wrote: »
    I would if I could, its literally the only case that fits where I need it to.. I mean other than something stupid like the DAN A4 which is €200 odd and very limited.

..and yeah I agree with you on the 2060 price front, if Im going to be limited by its 6GB of vram for the convenience of the itx form factor I couldnt justify paying more than €300 tops when the 5700 isnt much more.

Im going to sit of the fence awhile longer anyway and see what happens.. if theres a price drop Id settle for the 2060, or if I come across a good deal for a used 1070 or Vega 56 Nano I might bite on that. Its tempting not to order the 5700 from Amazon though and attempt to cram it in and return it if I cant:pac:

I got an Amazon warehouse deal for a 1070 mini a few mo the ago for €200ish. The second hand market seems to be taking its time to catch up to the falling price of the older cards for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

Which is no where near the cost excess of approximately +80% for the 5700xt for the difference of 80 vs 100 fps in games.

The 56 tweeked is great at €250ish for 1440p. The cost of the 5700xt or non is not justified imo.

Many games the difference is way bigger than 80 v 100fps. All the cost and effort of getting a Vega 56, water-cooling it....and you still have a card way behind the 5700xt in the end. No amount of tweaking can bridge a 30-40 percent gap.

Surely you would be way better off just getting a 5700 non XT? Way faster out of the box, and surely not much more than an old Vega 56 plus paying for a waterblock also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

*** Free upgrade from 5700 to a 5700XT offered by AMD ***

(So it looks)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/czhux1/psa_you_can_take_the_bios_from_a_5700_xt_and/

Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Anyone else here with one of the Navi cards?

After giving the whole evening gaming on the RX 5700 XT, the performance upgrade over my GTX 1070 is quite nice. Getting way over 60fps in 1440p with Freesync enabled is so nice.

Some niggles with drivers still to be worked out though - I have to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox or I can get BSODs - 1st time to see them ever in Windows 10.

• Advertisement

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-graphics-card-nvidia-killer/

Bigger Navi GPUs are coming apparently. Hopefully the above article is true to re-invigorate some competition at the high end again.

Although... I'll believe it when I see it. I remember articles popping up around the place a few years ago saying the Vega cards were going to trounce the 1080 Ti, which of course didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

z0oT wrote: »
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-graphics-card-nvidia-killer/

Bigger Navi GPUs are coming apparently. Hopefully the above article is true to re-invigorate some competition at the high end again.

Although... I'll believe it when I see it. I remember articles popping up around the place a few years ago saying the Vega cards were going to trounce the 1080 Ti, which of course didn't happen.

Ye that rumors around a little while,lets hope its true but like yourself i think ill be takin it with a pinch of salt for the moment.

The last time AMD had the GPU performance crown was when they released the R9 290X. It sort of made a mockery of Nvidia's lineup at the time - it was faster than the 1st gen Titan @1000+ while costing significantly less.

Although, Nvidia claimed the crown back shortly after with the 780 Ti which they sort of had waiting in the wings.

It would be very nice if they could do something like that again. We've been totally spoiled with the renewed competition in the CPU market this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If they do have a really great performing graphics card that can compete with Nvidias top end it will be no where near as cheap as the 290X was.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bless. You can bios flash a 5700 into a 5700 XT or 5700 XT Anniversary edition (without the extra 4 CUs of course). Recommended on custom cooling boards, rather than standard blower. Performance gains appear to be quite large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BIOS mods on RX 5700.
    Could be interesting for owners of dual-BIOS cards (e.g. Sapphire Pulse).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

What makes you think it's OEM only?

What makes you think it's OEM only?

From the AMD site, first line:

*GPU specifications and features may vary by OEM configuration. Please refer to OEM websites for shipping specifications.
    In addition, the GPU is shown in front of a series of OEM PCs instead of on its own, and there's no price or store link.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

From the AMD site, first line:

In addition,
    the GPU is shown in front of a series of OEM PCs instead of on its own, and there's no price or store link.

Surely, they have to release a retail version at some stage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

With all of that said, however – and before we get to the specs and other technical matters – today’s announcement needs to be put in context, as today is not a retail video card launch. In fact, AMD isn’t even announcing exactly when retail cards will show up, beyond a vague Q4. Instead, today’s announcement is essentially about the OEM side of AMD’s product stack. With the holiday buying season already ramping up, AMD’s OEM partners need to announce their holiday system lineups now, and so AMD is announcing almost everything about the Radeon RX 5500 series now rather than having the OEMs steal AMD’s thunder.

So yeah, OEM currently only

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Crapple bought up so much of TSMCs 7nm capacity for the next 18+ months that Intel is having a party, nVidia was forced to switch to Samsung for Ampere, and AMD are just royally ****ed. At best we might have a chance at a few non-reference RX5500XTs trickling on to some sites if AMD has bad RX5700 yield and can resurrect enough bad dies with hearty applications of laser death to them, but thanks to Crapple it looks like we're in for yet another godawful year for PC gamers who aren't loaded. I held off buying in case of Navi and now it looks like I'll be stuck with an RX570 anyway unless I want to double my total spend just for Navi or an nVidia equivalent and a new PSU to support an upper-mid range card I don't really need :mad:

Solitaire wrote: »
    Crapple bought up so much of TSMCs 7nm capacity for the next 18+ months that Intel is having a party, nVidia was forced to switch to Samsung for Ampere, and AMD are just royally ****ed. At best we might have a chance at a few non-reference RX5500XTs trickling on to some sites if AMD has bad RX5700 yield and can resurrect enough bad dies with hearty applications of laser death to them, but thanks to Crapple it looks like we're in for yet another godawful year for PC gamers who aren't loaded. I held off buying in case of Navi and now it looks like I'll be stuck with an RX570 anyway unless I want to double my total spend just for Navi or an nVidia equivalent and a new PSU to support an upper-mid range card I don't really need :mad:

Adored seems to think otherwise

Makes complete sense, AMDs server share has almost tripled since new Epyc launch and theres much more money to fetch here than the consumer market, and it seems 5500 could work off some of the binned 7nm chiplets too, making more use of the defect rate on the larger density wafers

Um... Navi isn't chiplet-based. That's the 7nm CPUs. And given that big-chip 7nm isn't mature that's kinda the issue - the chiplets make the new Ryzen/Epyc even more modular than the historically more scalable GPUs which always suffer on a flaky node anyway. I'm not sure if the Apple thing is fake news or not (it might be true if Apple decided that switching focus back to Q4'19 was less risky than gambling on 5nm being an instant-win) but the GloFo fustercluck and the nVidia ship-jump are pretty fact-checked at this point.

At this point it looks like 5500 was going to be a thing until the market turned upside-down. Now it looks like AMD are being forced backward to 12nm in the consumer markets so they can keep their 7nm stock exclusively for enterprise and workstation/prosumer applications, and in that space they're getting so much more cash per wafer from CPU they'd be mad to keep pushing even la-la-land GPUs on a flaky node due to the comical yields. This means that all the consumer 5xx0 cards will dry up soon as the few GPUs available are already reserved for OEM use. It will take a while for the 5700s already sitting on shelves to be bought up but its little brother never made it to the shelves in time. From what I've seen of AMD's own promo material out yesterday they seem to have canned the 5500XT prior to launch and are talking about 5500 as if its only going to be in pre-built PCs and eventually laptops (Maybe. Perhaps.) so it may well end up rarer than hen's teeth for a big chunk of its lifespan.

Sorry, what I meant was the 7nm manufacturing is ongoing in same TSMC plant so I dont think Apples fabrication will get in the way based off theory in video. And the defective chips as specified in video could well be regular 5700s (and by extension 5500s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sorry, what I meant was the 7nm manufacturing is ongoing in same TSMC plant so I dont think Apples fabrication will get in the way based off theory in video. And the defective chips as specified in video could well be regular 5700s (and by extension 5500s)

I'd take adored with a grain of salt. He bases everything he says off of a basic online calculator for fab yields, throwing in guess work left, right and center.

Don't forget that this isn't an issue regarding GPU wafers that have already been finished, but rather the number of wafers that will be coming out of AMD over the next year or two and what will be on said wafers. Any 5xx0s out in the wild already are on the shelves; its the chance that we'll see those cards being restocked after the current ones are sold. If AMD are producing fewer 7nm devices than intended they'll be focusing on Epyc first and Navi dead last, and the consumer can go green or go home with an old RX570, because priorities.

Also, that vid is actually old - it came out after the GloFo bomb hit but before the Apple news came through. Back then we actually had some hope still remaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Apple's current generation of Mobile CPUs are not on the same TSMC node. They're on 7nm+. Which is what zen 3 will use.

This whole story is stupid.

That node is directly based on and is replacing the current node. TSMC didn't go around saying exactly why 7nm+ is somehow holding up 7nm production but given that we know that TSMC 7nm+ is basically the same as their old node but re-tweaked and with EUV thrown in and is revving up to full production at breakneck speed and its not a crazy guess that TSMC are upgrading their existing node resulting in there simply being less capacity on the old one, as opposed to creating new fabs to run a radically new process and not having enough cashflow or interest to keep the old ones going once the new ones are up.

This whole story is stupid. But its still a thing and we seem to be stuck with it thanks to GloFo donuting themselves.

LMAO Asus

Don't buy the TUF Gaming unless you're gonna slap a waterblock on it.

Big-ups to XFX, they've acknowledged their mistakes with the THICC coolers and are fixing it.

THICC II rev. 2 & THICC III Ultra have actual VRAM cooling, and THICC II rev. 1 owners can request a free replacement cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jo Satan

Big-ups to XFX, they've acknowledged their mistakes with the THICC coolers and are fixing it.

THICC II rev. 2 & THICC III Ultra have actual VRAM cooling, and THICC II rev. 1 owners can request a free replacement cooler.

I have the Thicc II, with an older Radeon driver 19.8.2 and the latest Bios it is stable.
    It runs GPU 64c Edge 75c and Mem Temp 80c Fan 1800rpm when set to 2070/950Mhz @ 1050mV.
    Settings and custom fan curve in Afterburner - Wattman was too unstable
    I am happy with this.

I got onto XFX customer care to see what they had to say about a replacement card/shroud.

Their reply

"We are now waiting for our management's decision.

Once there is any updates, we will inform you immediately."

So they are dragging their heels which is a little dissapointing.

So, RX 5600 XT...

WTF even is this GPU?
    Failed RX 5700s with gimped VRAM?

Unless benchmarks show it to be decent, AMD have just handed the GTX 1660 Super the entire €200-300 market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Seems to be fairly on point if it is 20% faster on average. Especially if it over clocks well which it should do considering the low base clocks.

AMD's main issue is their drivers. I held off getting a 5700 because of driver issues which I assumed would have been sorted by now but no.

Still getting random lock ups with the latest drivers. I hear rolling back to a previous version works but I shouldn't have to and AMD shouldn't be releasing broken ass drivers.

They have the money now to pump into fixing these problems. There's no excuse for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't have any issues. Are you stock?

Advertisement