Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Does anyone have experience with the NZXT H400i or similar case, the included fan controller and the CAM software?

Should I still be attaching my CPU fan to the motherboard?

I'd just attach your case fans to the controller and leave the cpu into the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pretty good video talking about Nvidia Adaptive sync technology. Only tested a handful of monitors which is to be expected as I'd imagine reviewers do not get sent too many monitors to test and if they do they probably have to send them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Would this be what I need to extend the sata power slots?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-B5196-Power-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B0086OGN9E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547684080&sr=8-2&keywords=sata+psu+extender

Need 1 slot this will click into one of the slots in use on a HDD/SSD and extend right?

Would this be what I need to extend the sata power slots?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-B5196-Power-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B0086OGN9E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547684080&sr=8-2&keywords=sata+psu+extender

Need 1 slot this will click into one of the slots in use on a HDD/SSD and extend right?

Looks like it anyway. Did you not get extra with the PSU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Looks like it anyway. Did you not get extra with the PSU?

I thought so too, Had a look in the box (in attic) I think I used it already only came with 2x2 slots, iirc. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I've come to the conclusion that I hate trying to pick out a new monitor.

Usually I enjoy researching all there is to know about a component and it is relatively easy to identify the best solution for me in any given situation. Yes, it may take me a long time to decide but the facts are clear and most reviews seem indicate a general consensus.

However, I have been trying to find information about monitors and looking at review for monitors for the past few days and every time I almost reach a conclusion, I read something else that will make that conclusion invalid.

Example: IPS vs VA vs TN
    My latest conclusion: VA is a good compromise between TN and IPS from a response perspective (TN winner) and color reproduction (IPS winner)
    New fact/opinion: VA is rubbish for response especially at high frequencies and will in fact counteract gains from high frequencies

Example 2: IPS vs VA vs TN
    Conclusion: IPS is the best for color reproduction and gives you the best image
    Counter fact/opinion: IPS (and to an extent VA) quality control is rubbish. Yes the best of these monitors are outstanding but the chances of you getting a good one is slim

Example 3: IPS vs VA vs TN
    Conclusion: The TN color reproduction issues are more of a historical problem and reviewers just haven't moved on. Current TN monitors offer a very good image and in the case where you are sitting directly in front of the screen i.e. at a desk, and you are not a professional who relies on image reproduction you will never notice the difference.
    Counter fact/opinion: 90% of all professional reviewers

At this stage since I am coming from a 24" TN 1080p monitor and looking to change to 27(+)" 2560x1440P 144Hz Freesync monitor, any monitor that meet those specs will do.

In fact, given the inherent improvements with the new specs, and that I won't be able to compare the new monitor to anything else except the old monitor should I just go for cheapest good monitor I can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

farna_boy wrote: »
    should I just go for cheapest good monitor I can get?

Read reviews for any monitor before you buy.
    Sometimes cheap is good, but other times cheap is nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

I have been researching for months so know exactly what you are talking about regarding monitor purchase decisions; there will be a caveat with any monitor you pick regardless of panel type

Its going to be a matter though eventually to bite the bullet and try one and see how it is, and return as necessary

Reviews for high end IPS are rife with returns due to IPS glow, VA panels apparently suffer badly with ghosting, even high refresh rate ones, and TN is the worst image quality

There is a new monitor that might be of interest but in-depth reviews dont exist yet, it should be available to buy before the end of the month

Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD - https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitors/AD27QD#kf

This is using a newer IPS panel revision, 144hz, Freesync, check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Read reviews for any monitor before you buy.
    Sometimes cheap is good, but other times cheap is nasty.

The one I had in mind is still a Dell S2719DGF (27" 2560x1440 144Hz TN) which is currently reduced to €399 but with the discount code "SAVE10", it can be had for €359. Dell also have a single dead pixel return policy which is good. The biggest problem is that because it is relatively new, there aren't that many reviews of it and given the above discounts are probably short term I'm not sure how long I can wait.
    BArra wrote: »
    I have been researching for months so know exactly what you are talking about regarding monitor purchase decisions; there will be a caveat with any monitor you pick regardless of panel type

Its going to be a matter though eventually to bite the bullet and try one and see how it is, and return as necessary

Reviews for high end IPS are rife with returns due to IPS glow, VA panels apparently suffer badly with ghosting, even high refresh rate ones, and TN is the worst image quality

There is a new monitor that might be of interest but in-depth reviews dont exist yet, it should be available to buy before the end of the month

Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD - https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitors/AD27QD#kf

This is using a newer IPS panel revision, 144hz, Freesync, check it out

I did see mention of that in a few places but I didn't realise that it was that close to release.

Any idea how much it is going to cost?

The other monitor I saw that has good user reviews (but almost no proper reviews) is the Hanspree HG324 31.5" 2560x1440 VA monitor. The good ones seem great but again their seems to be quality issues (like other VA and IPS monitors) and I would worry about the ghosting as you mentioned. It is tempting though because it is only about €430.

My original plan was to get the MG279Q but the more I think about it, I'm not sure if I want to spend €700+ on a monitor. Or rather is the MG279Q worth twice the Dell above?

Even if it is worth twice the Dell, if I never see one in real life (which I doubt I ever would anyway), the Dell will probably be better than my existing monitor so would I just be happy in my ignorance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I am literally in the same boat regarding monitors and have been trying to narrow down the choice by combing through reviews before pulling the trigger but every time I get close either something new comes out like that new Gigabyte monitor, a revision of an older monitor or Nvidia let loose the cat amongst the pigeons by supporting Freesync! I kept coming back to the Asus XG32VQ which a revision XG32VQR is now due out soon and if it passes muster, it will be going on my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The one I had in mind is still a Dell S2719DGF (27" 2560x1440 144Hz TN) which is currently reduced to €399 but with the discount code "SAVE10", it can be had for €359. Dell also have a single dead pixel return policy which is good. The biggest problem is that because it is relatively new, there aren't that many reviews of it and given the above discounts are probably short term I'm not sure how long I can wait.

I did see mention of that in a few places but I didn't realise that it was that close to release.

Any idea how much it is going to cost?

The other monitor I saw that has good user reviews (but almost no proper reviews) is the Hanspree HG324 31.5" 2560x1440 VA monitor. The good ones seem great but again there seems to be quality issues (like other VA and IPS monitors) and I would worry about the ghosting as you mentioned. It is tempting though because it is only about €430.

My original plan was to get the MG279Q but the more I think about it, I'm not sure if I want to spend €700+ on a monitor. Or rather is the MG279Q worth twice the Dell above?

Even if it is worth twice the Dell, if I never see one in real life (which I doubt I ever would anyway), the Dell will probably be better than my existing monitor so would I just be happy in my ignorance?

That Dell seems to suffer from the same issues as the previous model with lack of gamma adjustment and colour banding issues. From looking at reviews of the old one I got the feeling it was popular due to the low price it seemed to always be on sale at rather than being a good monitor but this is just my take on it from poking around Youtube and various tech forums.

The Gigabyte is up for pre-order on overclockers for €611ish but I'd want to see some proper reviews and feedback from users first before picking up an IPS monitor, due to how frequent black light bleed seems to affect them.

My original plan was to get the MG279Q but the more I think about it, I'm not sure if I want to spend €700+ on a monitor.

I had that MG279Q. It was a decent monitor. I sold it some time last year though as I had bought a Xbox One X around that time and was looking for a 4k HDR monitor and there was none available so in the end I picked up a 4k HDR Tv.

One thing I miss though is Freesync and Xbox supports Freesync now but only over HDMI.

I can also use the Tv with my PC for games so it doesn't go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

I’m considering switching to using a password manager, given the amount of accounts etc needed these days. Is LastPass as good as the reviews suggest? Is it worth going Premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Inviere wrote:
    I’m considering switching to using a password manager, given the amount of accounts etc needed these days. Is LastPass as good as the reviews suggest? Is it worth going Premium?

I've been using Lastpass for years. I think it's great, no problems with it. The only reason I would have considered premium before was to use it on my Android but that's free now too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I've been using Lastpass for years. I think it's great, no problems with it. The only reason I would have considered premium before was to use it on my Android but that's free now too.

Does it work with Android/IOS apps, or just with webpages on those devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TrueDub wrote: »
    Does it work with Android/IOS apps, or just with webpages on those devices?

Once you allow it to overlay on Android it'll autofill the majority of apps.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Cheers misky. I’ve a large amount of passwords saved using Chrome, so if converting to LastPass, should I delete all saved passwords from Chrome and begin again, allowing a Chrome to remember the new ones. Or is there a browser addon from LastPass which handles auto fill duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Inviere wrote: »
    Cheers misky. I’ve a large amount of passwords saved using Chrome, so if converting to LastPass, should I delete all saved passwords from Chrome and begin again, allowing a Chrome to remember the new ones. Or is there a browser addon from LastPass which handles auto fill duties?

Lastpass has its own Chrome plugin to handle everything. I wiped all my Chrome saved passwords once I started using LastPass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

Luck100 wrote: »
    Lastpass has its own Chrome plugin to handle everything. I wiped all my Chrome saved passwords once I started using LastPass.

Perfect, sounds like a plan. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.adverts.ie/other-peripherals/logitech-receivers-bargain/15335618

Yes, "€300"-worth of Logitech receivers is worth a GTX 1080 Ti...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/other-peripherals/logitech-receivers-bargain/15335618

Yes, "€300"-worth of Logitech receivers is worth a GTX 1080 Ti...
    1080ti straight swap
    1080 150 my way
    1070 250 my way

That values a 1070 at €50 and a 1080 at €150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Selling them cheap as need them gone ASAP cuz moving out.

1708508.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Anyone recommend an upgrade on the GTX 970 for 250ish mark. Reckon I'll get a 100 anyway for the 970 for a quick sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys is it recommend to have a heatsink for NVMe's?

Tempted to get another one for my pc but the 2nd slot on my mobo for NVMe doesnt come with a heat sink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's not much going at that price point. RX590 8GB or GTX1060 6GB, a little faster with more vram but not huge upgrades, the market has stagnated horribly in recent years.

If you can stretch to €330ish Vega 56 is a big upgrade and comes with Resident Evil 2, DMC 5 and Division 2.

RTX2060 is the closest Nvidia equivalent at the moment, but around €380, comes with Anthem and Battlefield V too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys is it recommend to have a heatsink for NVMe's?

Tempted to get another one for my pc but the 2nd slot on my mobo for NVMe doesnt come with a heat sink

Yes.

You can buy aftermarket ones like in the video.

Advertisement