Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any basic tricks I could do in a classroom?

Options
  • 10-03-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone had any basic enough tricks you would recommend for doing in a class? I teach English in Italy and I teach in one or two fairly rough areas and it can be hard at times to get through to the kids. Last week I did an old Mathematics numbers trick that I know and they just loved it! Also they really got into the lesson after that. Anyway I promised them I would throw them one or 2 more tricks during the course of the year if they kept up the effort on their end. So the one massive flaw in this plan was the simple fact that I unlike all of you am NO magician!!! I would really appreciate anything simple and foolproof that anyone could recommend.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

population wrote: »
    Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone had any basic enough tricks you would recommend for doing in a class? I teach English in Italy and I teach in one or two fairly rough areas and it can be hard at times to get through to the kids. Last week I did an old Mathematics numbers trick that I know and they just loved it! Also they really got into the lesson after that. Anyway I promised them I would throw them one or 2 more tricks during the course of the year if they kept up the effort on their end. So the one massive flaw in this plan was the simple fact that I unlike all of you am NO magician!!! I would really appreciate anything simple and foolproof that anyone could recommend.

Thanks a lot

If you're into "numbers magic" have a google around for "magic number square" nice easy trick. Plus it makes you look super smart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Thanks will do!

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sweded

Try searching for tarrot/card tricks as well, there are tons of basic tricks in this genre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭ShanePouch

population wrote: »
    Thanks will do!

Any other suggestions?

As you'll be aware, not many magicians are too keen on giving away the secrets of their illusions to others, whether on a public forum or on the internet. Most tricks take time and application to develop. Have you considered putting the challenge to your class and rather than just waiting here for someone to give you tricks and ideas, ask your class, perhaps in small teams, to come up with their own trick, or tricks, to be performed in class.

Depending on the individuals, that could be a very interesting lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Harm Van Risk

I dont know if you could do all of them in the classroom but there is a channel on youtube that goes through some easy fun tricks. heres the link : http://www.youtube.com/user/easybartricks1?feature=watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 justinsmith070

learn card games to show magic in classrooms.....:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

When I taught in Korea I did a predictions class to teach the future tense and there were a number of things I did that weren't magic but more science tricks but they worked really well.

Check out youtube for the pepper in water and washing up liquid on your finger trick. Make sure to get the students to try it with their own non washing up finger first. Hide the washing up liquid on your finger when you "amaze" them. Also there is the balancing soda can trick which is class and works really well.

edit: here they are

and the other:

Advertisement