Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pumps.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭scotchy

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Diesel in D4Fuels is currently 125c a litre. Nowhere cheaper than that in Dublin at the moment.

I bought Diesel there for a while, but noticed lowering in performance. Stopped using it for a while and went back again, thinking i was imagining it, did this a few times. Always noticed an issue.

Haven't been back to it in a while.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Qgravs

Several people had bought domain names and offered them and at least one person indicated that he was building a replacement for pumps.ie. But here we are months later with no replacement. Anyone out there got the ability and willingness to help us all out by building a replacement? We would all be most grateful to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭gussieg

if anyone knew who was behind pumps.ie maybe they could help? i did get a domain, cost about a fiver, but hosting costs more again, unless you have a server big enough and all the bandwith necessary to cope with traffic, and i'm not a coder, so there is that. could be crowd funded or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

gussieg wrote: »
    if anyone knew who was behind pumps.ie maybe they could help? i did get a domain, cost about a fiver, but hosting costs more again, unless you have a server big enough and all the bandwith necessary to cope with traffic, and i'm not a coder, so there is that. could be crowd funded or something.

Or make it app based with a 99c charge to download the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Qgravs wrote: »
    Several people had bought domain names and offered them and at least one person indicated that he was building a replacement for pumps.ie. But here we are months later with no replacement. Anyone out there got the ability and willingness to help us all out by building a replacement? We would all be most grateful to you!

Waze has fuel prices. Not as easy to use as pumps.ie but looks like the best option available, just need more people to update prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Just to let everyone know that I am actively developing a revamped version of Pumps.ie at the moment. I'm doing this in my spare time so can't give an estimated date when it will be live but I will keep you updated.

If anyone has any time to spare and has experience in Node.js, Mongo, Handlebars, Express then I'd appreciate any help.

Any features you'd like to see give me a PM and I'd happily add them to the list.
    Hiya,

Currently doing nights in work and sleeping during the day for the next 3 weeks so will only be working on it in free time when off. Things are progressing well just slowly at the moment!

SweetCaliber has actually been posting updates and already said they dont know how long it will take but has posted some screen shots into how it will look. Be patient

mikeecho wrote: »
    Fuel prices in Ireland are generally fairly stable.
    Go to the UK and see a 12p premium on motorways, here it's only an extra few cent.

And go to Germany, prices vary throughout the day at local stations, and don't go near a petrol station on the autobahn. Massive price swings throughout the day and God help you if you need to fuel to on a bank holiday.

I pulled into one ARAL on the autobahn on my way back to the sixt desk and it was almost 30c more than what I had passed at the start of my journey that day.

I left that ARAL and find an AGIP closer to my destination off the autobahn and filled up there, for 25c,/l cheaper than the ARAL.

The one for thing about Ireland is that fuel prices stay stable, they generally don't bounce up and down for rush hour or b/h weekends.

Canada is hilarious too. Was in a small city and when the price changes it starts on one side of town and makes its way to the other side over the day. One day it jumped 10c for no discernible reason and people literally drove to the far end to fill up.

marcos_94 wrote: »
    SweetCaliber has actually been posting updates and already said they dont know how long it will take but has posted some screen shots into how it will look. Be patient

Thanks for this, actually that user said that it would take a few more days for him to finish. That was two months ago and the thread had died. I referred to him in my original post. But two months since he said it was nearly finished and spring since pumps.ie stopped working. Hence my reason for posting. At least some people have posted today and maybe someone out there has the skills to either help that person or develop a new app. I’d happily pay for the app and I’m sure lots of others would too. Look how much money the daft founders earned. If I’d got the necessary knowledge I’d happily do it myself. So I ask again, anyone got the skills and enthusiasm and entrepreneurship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Thanks for this, actually that user said that it would take a few more days for him to finish. That was two months ago and the thread had died. I referred to him in my original post. But two months since he said it was nearly finished and spring since pumps.ie stopped working. Hence my reason for posting. At least some people have posted today and maybe someone out there has the skills to either help that person or develop a new app. I’d happily pay for the app and I’m sure lots of others would too. Look how much money the daft founders earned. If I’d got the necessary knowledge I’d happily do it myself. So I ask again, anyone got the skills and enthusiasm and entrepreneurship?

I've it at a halt at the moment, too much going on that I cant spare any time for it. If anyone has time and the skills then please do PM me and I'll pass on the source code to be further developed.

If not then hopefully in the coming months now that the summer is dying down, I'll have a bit more time to "pump" into it.

Again though, any devs willing to give their time, shoot me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭sk8board

Canada is hilarious too. Was in a small city and when the price changes it starts on one side of town and makes its way to the other side over the day. One day it jumped 10c for no discernible reason and people literally drove to the far end to fill up.

It’s mad! I spent this summer driving in oil-filled Alberta - the prices jumped up and down up to 10% any given day and eventually someone told me they charge more during rush hour mornings and evenings, esp during the 7-8 snow months - and given the time someone could be in their Hemi truck, they’d need to fill before leaving.
    Google maps displayed accurate live pricing, and you also got 10c/litre off for shopping in Sobeys, so there were plenty times I filled my Odyssey for CA$0.90/liter (€0.60). Unfortunately it drank with two straws.

• Advertisement

I've it at a halt at the moment, too much going on that I cant spare any time for it. If anyone has time and the skills then please do PM me and I'll pass on the source code to be further developed.

If not then hopefully in the coming months now that the summer is dying down, I'll have a bit more time to "pump" into it.

Again though, any devs willing to give their time, shoot me a PM.

Thanks a lot for the update. I wish I had the skills to help you. Thanks for getting things started. Hopefully these messages today can root out someone to help you! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭deezell

I complained to Applegreen that their app was showing fuel prices 5c per litre lower than at the station, and asked for a refund on my fill. I got this response;

"We are sorry to come back to you so late, we wanted to investigate what was wrong with our listed prices. Apparently it have been some error submitting new price, but unfortunately we cannot refund you your loss. For this mistake from our side, we would like to offer you our attendant carwash for free, between 9am-6pm

Please accept our sincere apology for this mistake, we are going to work on it to resolve an error."

No mention of how I'm supposed to authenticate my free car wash, other than this email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

deezell wrote: »
    No mention of how I'm supposed to authenticate my free car wash, other than this email.

I presume you would need to email them back accepting their offer. They will probably send you out a voucher/code to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

deezell wrote: »
    I complained to Applegreen that their app was showing fuel prices 5c per litre lower than at the station, and asked for a refund on my fill. I got this response;

"We are sorry to come back to you so late, we wanted to investigate what was wrong with our listed prices. Apparently it have been some error submitting new price, but unfortunately we cannot refund you your loss. For this mistake from our side, we would like to offer you our attendant carwash for free, between 9am-6pm

Please accept our sincere apology for this mistake, we are going to work on it to resolve an error."

That's a n amazing response because I received this email from them on 21st August,. Thank you for your Email. Applegreen has no longer a Price Fuel App.

We are currently working on launching a new improved App.

Kind Regards,

Info Team.

18_AG_EmailSignature

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I got this back in April when I asked why they don't display prices in Munster on their app
    Dear Mikeecho,

The members of our IT department are currently working diligently to fix this issue. We are hoping to have it resolved very soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Info Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

There certainly does seem to be less competition since Topaz was sold.

There was like-for-like growth in fuel revenue of 8.4 per cent and growth in fuel gross profit of 14.3 per cent.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/revenue-and-profits-soar-at-forecourt-operator-applegreen-1.4024685

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

KOR101 wrote: »

There was like-for-like growth in fuel revenue of 8.4 per cent and growth in fuel gross profit of 14.3 per cent.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/revenue-and-profits-soar-at-forecourt-operator-applegreen-1.4024685
    Yet prices haven't changed upward in quite a while. Petrol has been in the 1.35-1.45 range and diesel from 1.30-1.40. Most of them now have veritable mini-malls inside so getting customers in is what now produces the competition. That and drivers prepared to go 10km out of their way to save 1c a litre!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KOR101 wrote: »

Petrol stations make their money in the shop not the pumps. I love how people complain about paying ~€1.40 for a litre of heavily taxed fuel and then happily pay €2 for 500ml of water or €3+ for 300ml of coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Del2005 wrote: »
    Petrol stations make their money in the shop not the pumps. I love how people complain about paying ~€1.40 for a litre of heavily taxed fuel and then happily pay €2 for 500ml of water or €3+ for 300ml of coffee

I just go in and get out, only thing i might buy is lotto ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Circle K in Hartstown increased the price of miles+ from 149.8 yesterday to 152.8 today.

While I understand the attacks in Saudi will affect prices, there is no way the petrol being sold today has been purchased since the attacks.

Absolute joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

jim salter wrote: »
    Circle K in Hartstown increased the price of miles+ from 149.8 yesterday to 152.8 today.

While I understand the attacks in Saudi will affect prices, there is no way the petrol being sold today has been purchased since the attacks.

Absolute joke.

People still buying it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭gussieg

but thats the thing. without reverting to horse and cart straight away, if you live in the area, with a car that needs fuelling, where else are you supposed to go?
    in this weather too...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

In this weather ?

A bit of rain is hardly going to prevent someone driving to a different station.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks like we're heading back above 1.50 for petrol between the Saudi oil field attack and the government now committed to raising the carbon tax in Octobers budget

Are we getting any closer to the New pumps app?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

horse7 wrote: »
    Are we getting any closer to the New pumps app?

I was just about to ask the same question. Looks like it would be more than handy to people now with the increasing costs.

Crazy budget regards petrol increase , the government already takes 60% in taxes for every litre we buy.

Expect that to increase by the same amount year on year for the next 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

horse7 wrote: »
    Crazy budget regards petrol increase , the government already takes 60% in taxes for every litre we buy.

It's 2¢
    Not going to upset too many people.
    You'd get more of a price variation shopping around.

But.. it is death by 1000 cuts.

Anyway, looks like Lithium Carbon Dioxide batteries might be the next big thing for EV's

• Advertisement

No attempt made to equalise the tax of petrol v diesel either, and It's completely wrong to base the tax on volume, diesel is heavier per litre, hence more energy per litre. Tax should be based on weight and calorific value per kilo. That would encourage a shift to cleaner petrol.

Advertisement