Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two weeks for Dr appointment

• 16-09-2019 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

I phoned Dr surgery last week to arrange check up. Get bloods done. Was told no available slots for two weeks... Seems mad. Had to make appointment with web doctor as the twinge that I thought maybe gout has become a full blown flare up.

I don't goto Dr very often. Is this normal enough time to wait?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My Doctor is in a very busy practice yet I never had more than two days wait for non urgent appointments and usually get the same day I phone in.

I'm sure it varies immensely from Doctor to Doctor and surgery to surgery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Xcellor wrote: »
    I phoned Dr surgery last week to arrange check up. Get bloods done. Was told no available slots for two weeks... Seems mad. Had to make appointment with web doctor as the twinge that I thought maybe gout has become a full blown flare up.

I’d say it’s because you put your appointment across as being as being a non urgent check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sinus pain wrote: »
    I’d say it’s because you put your appointment across as being as being a non urgent check up.

I know my docs surgery does bloods on certain days when the nurse that does it is in, maybe they have to wait on something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Sinus pain wrote: »

I wasn't asked the nature of appointment whether it was urgent or not.. maybe by saying next week as opposed to tomorrow it was assumed to be non urgent.

I managed to get 8 30 appointment with video doc as what I thought was precursor to gout attack has become full blown flare up!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I had that previously a week or so wait for a doc appointment with a GP that was part of a HSE primary care facility. I changed GPs.
    Can now get on the day appointments with new GP if it is urgent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you rang up and said that you felt you needed bloods done then 2 weeks would be normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

For a non urgent appointment, that I would expect to be fairly normal.

In the UK it's now over 3 weeks for routine appointments.

General shortage of GPs in many places.

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you rang up and said that you felt you needed bloods done then 2 weeks would be normal.

I wasn't clear in my OP. I phoned to make an appointment at that point was told no availability for next week so I made an appointment the following. When I hung up I realized I had forgot to mention bloods.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I wasn't clear in my OP. I phoned to make an appointment at that point was told no availability for next week so I made an appointment the following. When I hung up I realized I had forgot to mention bloods.

Makes no difference. All GP's are oversubscribed and the handing out of more and more medical cards isn't helping.

Are you medical card or private? I'm private at my GP and can appointments within a few days, my brother has a medical card and usually has to wait a week or so for non urgent appointments at the same GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

Free medical care to the under 6s is adding to waiting times as well. At this time of year they're just back in school and picking up all sorts of illnesses.

My GP doesn't offer free appointments to under 6s and I can get an appointment with him usually within 24 hours.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Makes no difference. All GP's are oversubscribed and the handing out of more and more medical cards isn't helping.

Are you medical card or private? I'm private at my GP and can appointments within a few days, my brother has a medical card and usually has to wait a week or so for non urgent appointments at the same GP.

It's private but it's subsidized by my employer. There were two surgeries that employees could use but one of them closed so all patients had to move to the other. I suspect way over subscribed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Increasingly normal. lack of investment by the government in primary has lead to inadequate staffing levels. unfortunate state of affairs. GP can only fit in so many.

only thing id say is.... did you say on the phone i want a check up or did you say i think i have gout? Check up implies you have no symptoms and just want a routine blood pressure check etc. if you rang and said i have full blown gout, they might have emergency slots that are only released on the day?

Wesser wrote: »
    Increasingly normal. lack of investment by the government in primary has lead to inadequate staffing levels. unfortunate state of affairs. GP can only fit in so many.

only thing id say is.... did you say on the phone i want a check up or did you say i think i have gout? Check up implies you have no symptoms and just want a routine blood pressure check etc. if you rang and said i have full blown gout, they might have emergency slots that are only released on the day?

I didn't get chance to mention symptoms. Asked for appointment for next week told there were none. At the time I was suspecting a flare up as there sometimes are early warning signals which can end up being nothing.

I attended web doctor . She was very kind and polite. Gave a prescription and cert. However she said I should go to A&E ... Most likely gout but could also be septic joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So glad i moved to a GP that still takes walk-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Del2005 wrote: »

Its suspicious though that its routine now that it's a couple of days wait when you ring since the move to these multi doctor clinics.

My gp was a relatively recent move to one of these (about 3 years ago iirc) . Used to be a system where you rocked up to the waiting room, waited in a line and were seen. Now its "don't have an appointment tment for 2 days"

About 18 months ago I came down with what I thought was flu on a Saturday( I had it once before and was very similar) after 2 days in bed I managed to drag myself up and go to work on the Monday. That's when I saw I was pissing a bit of blood. So rang the doctor. Was told itd be Thursday and was directed to the TLC doc that evening if I couldn't wait. After a test He told me hed send me to a&e if it wasn't the evening and I'd probably be sat there till the morning anyway but to rock up at my gp in the morning and see could he fit me in. Got there and there was 1 person there and no one with him. 5 mins in and out and sent to a&e with a note.

The missus doctor is the same set up. When we ring and get an appointment for one of the kids, you get there on the day you are given and there's no more than a couple of people in the waiting room for a multi doctor clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Its suspicious though that its routine now that it's a couple of days wait when you ring since the move to these multi doctor clinics.

My gp was a relatively recent move to one of these (about 3 years ago iirc) . Used to be a system where you rocked up to the waiting room, waited in a line and were seen. Now its "don't have an appointment tment for 2 days"

About 18 months ago I came down with what I thought was flu on a Saturday( I had it once before and was very similar) after 2 days in bed I managed to drag myself up and go to work on the Monday. That's when I saw I was pissing a bit of blood. So rang the doctor. Was told itd be Thursday and was directed to the TLC doc that evening if I couldn't wait. After a test He told me hed send me to a&e if it wasn't the evening and I'd probably be sat there till the morning anyway but to rock up at my gp in the morning and see could he fit me in. Got there and there was 1 person there and no one with him. 5 mins in and out and sent to a&e with a note.

The missus doctor is the same set up. When we ring and get an appointment for one of the kids, you get there on the day you are given and there's no more than a couple of people in the waiting room for a multi doctor clinic.

You had better get used to the wait, it is going to get an awful lot worse.

The main reason that GPs are congregating in collective practices is that it is virtually impossible for GPs to get cover or to share out of hours on call duties unless they are multi person Clinics. The days of the rural or single GP practices are numbered, no one wants to be isolated and singularity responsible for a huge number of patients on their list.

Also, as another poster has said, the extension of free GP care to under 6s and the extra 1 million medical cards have placed a huge workload on all practices. Many GPs complain that parents now bring their kids in for minor complaints, knowing that they do not have to pay. It was announced recently that the Government plans to extend this further up to age 12, that again will mean that “just to be safe” kids with the flu will be in waiting rooms.

But the biggest issue now facing GP care is that a huge percentage, I think it is over 30% of GPs are within 5 yrs of retirement age and the training of new GPs lags well below this figure. So not only do you have an increase in patients, there will be a significant decrease in GP numbers. In Dublin, a survey a couple of months ago found that very few Clinics would take any new patients.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/health-time-bomb-as-hundreds-of-gps-to-retire-and-patients-already-turned-away-36765240.html

https://www.icgp.ie/go/about/media_press_area/press_releases_statements/archive?spId=CEDC3295-13EF-4FCE-911C097D8282A7A6

So, when you give out about waiting times and GPs, you may look back in a few years and think things were much better now when you only had to wait 1-2 weeks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On retirement age, there was a can-kick for medical card lists, increasing the max retirement age from 65 to 70 about a decade or so ago. That can hasn't (and won't) be kicked again and even if it was I think most GPs would actually still retire before any higher age anyway - high stress job etc.

That just delayed the bloody obvious crisis a little bit.

edit: looks like they did kick it further to 72 in some cases, so I'm wrong on thinking they'd never go past 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dav010 wrote: »
    You had better get used to the wait, it is going to get an awful lot worse.

The main reason that GPs are congregating in collective practices is that it is virtually impossible for GPs to get cover or to share out of hours on call duties unless they are multi person Clinics. The days of the rural or single GP practices are numbered, no one wants to be isolated and singularity responsible for a huge number of patients on their list.

Also, as another poster has said, the extension of free GP care to under 6s and the extra 1 million medical cards have placed a huge workload on all practices. Many GPs complain that parents now bring their kids in for minor complaints, knowing that they do not have to pay. It was announced recently that the Government plans to extend this further up to age 12, that again will mean that “just to be safe” kids with the flu will be in waiting rooms.

But the biggest issue now facing GP care is that a huge percentage, I think it is over 30% of GPs are within 5 yrs of retirement age and the training of new GPs lags well below this figure. So not only do you have an increase in patients, there will be a significant decrease in GP numbers. In Dublin, a survey a couple of months ago found that very few Clinics would take any new patients.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/health-time-bomb-as-hundreds-of-gps-to-retire-and-patients-already-turned-away-36765240.html

https://www.icgp.ie/go/about/media_press_area/press_releases_statements/archive?spId=CEDC3295-13EF-4FCE-911C097D8282A7A6

So, when you give out about waiting times and GPs, you may look back in a few years and think things were much better now when you only had to wait 1-2 weeks.

That all may be so but not really connected to some of the issues in a my post.

In summary, years ago, single gp in a house, people rocked up, surgery was full most of the day with people constantly coming in. Now moved to multi doctor surgery and there definitely isnt 3 or 4 times the people coming through the door , yet theres 3 or 4 times as many doctors.Waiting room is generally empty when I'm there. But you could be told a day or 2 for an appointment and when you show up for said appointment on time, you're generally waiting a half hour minimum .

Anecdotal, yes, but this is 2 surgeries in Dublin, Tallaght and Clondalkin so not rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

In urgent cases the GP will see you at shorter notice. You need to tell the receptionist it's urgent.
    Many surgeries have the nurses take bloods.. Problem is the nurses are very busy and often only part-time... You probably should have just asked to visit the GP and said you suspected a flareup and let the GP decide if you needed bloods taken.

As for the 2 week wait.. yep, free gp for under 6s and all the med and gp visit cards mean doctors are quite busy. Practices usually keep a few slots available for private patients who want to be seen at short notice. Not sure how they'd view your scheme, but it's not like you can change GP easily. Not sure if they'd get the full consultation fee either. - not saying this is the reason they wouldn't see you sooner. Actually I think it's because you asked for bloods and didn't say you felt it was urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

antix80 wrote: »
    In urgent cases the GP will see you at shorter notice. You need to tell the receptionist it's urgent.
    Many surgeries have the nurses take bloods.. Problem is the nurses are very busy and often only part-time... You probably should have just asked to visit the GP and said you suspected a flareup and let the GP decide if you needed bloods taken.

As for the 2 week wait.. yep, free gp for under 6s and all the med and gp visit cards mean doctors are quite busy. Practices usually keep a few slots available for private patients who want to be seen at short notice. Not sure how they'd view your scheme, but it's not like you can change GP easily. Not sure if they'd get the full consultation fee either. - not saying this is the reason they wouldn't see you sooner. Actually I think it's because you asked for bloods and didn't say you felt it was urgent.

OP didn't ask for bloods on the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

MOH wrote: »
    OP didn't ask for bloods on the phone

Thanks for pointing that out.

Advertisement