Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tilley Hat??? Worth the price?

• 15-09-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What are people's thoughts on same... €90 for one locally and would love to own one. Big birthday coming up and thinking of looking for a Gift Voucher in that direction

Anyone own one???? Are you happy with it??? Is it worth the price ??

Thanks for feeding back any thoughts in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Very happy with mine. Got it online a bit cheaper than that from Uttings.
    Very comfortable and mostly you don’t need the ties to keep it on - unless it’s very windy.
    Have it just over a year and it’s holding very well.
    Masala wrote: »
    Hi.

What are people's thoughts on same... €90 for one locally and would love to own one. Big birthday coming up and thinking of looking for a Gift Voucher in that direction

Anyone own one???? Are you happy with it??? Is it worth the price ??

Thanks for feeding back any thoughts in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

Very happy with mine. Got it online a bit cheaper than that from Uttings.
    Very comfortable and mostly you don’t need the ties to keep it on - unless it’s very windy.
    Have it just over a year and it’s holding very well.

Should I buy a size bigger or deadon on tight on the head. Am comfortable with a slightly loose fit but am worried about the wind catching same whoosh it gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

I tried mine on in a shop. I’d go right to the head. They can be made to give a little by stretching with your knee.
    They have quite detailed instructions on the website so worth having a look.
    Should I buy a size bigger or deadon on tight on the head. Am comfortable with a slightly loose fit but am worried about the wind catching same whoosh it gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭swampgas

I bought my first one about 1994, and I've had 3 more since. I lost one, wore another out, and now have a regular one and one I keep for "good" :) I've had one that was the "right" size, and it was too small for comfort.

I'd definitely go up a size, and go for a loose fit. The hat should sit gently on your head, and not be stretched over it. There are two straps, the one that goes over the back of your head will keep the hat on most of the time, and if it's really wild using both straps will keep it one no matter what. I've fallen in deep water and not lost the hat, with both straps on. You do have to make sure the rear strap is snug though or the wind can flip the hat off.

It's a great hat in the rain, I wear mine walking to and from work. The brim stiffens up when wet and keeps the rain out of your face, which is handy if you wear glasses. It's good in the sun too, but only if it's a loose fit, otherwise it's just too warm.

Edit to add: all mine are the T3, white with green under the brim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Bought mine in Nova Scotia in 2008 and it is still going strong. Very comfy and practically indestructible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

So... for Irish trails and hikes... would you prefer the Ltm5 or the wider Ltm6. ??

So... for Irish trails and hikes... would you prefer the Ltm5 or the wider Ltm6. ??

Entirely up to you really.

I’m on my second one. A great bit of kit and well worth the price. Lifetime warranty with no BS limitations. Wear it out, you get a new one, no quibbles.

Buy to suit your head measurement. You can stretch it a little but it will not ‘shrink to fit’ smaller than the hat size, so be careful about overdoing it if you’re trying to leave room for shrinkage.

I starch mine. Keeps the brim nice and stiff all the time.

Also, I’d recommend the bug inserts for the ventilation holes if you ever plan on visiting anywhere with mosquitoes or elk flies. Fit and forget.

Enjoy whichever one you buy and choose carefully as it will last a hell of a long time.

Advertisement