Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Sorry I should of said this is for rendering, graphic design and strictly productivity!

The regular 2700 so.
    It's not worth paying more for the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

L wrote: »
    Gigabyte have released a BIOS with the new AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA for my board I see.

I think I'll hold flashing it for now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

MSI are slow with BIOS rollouts so I've a few weeks to wait for the ABBA on the tomohawk.

Just updated my Aorus X570 Elite to the new BIOS.

Getting 3593Mhz an all cores. (Max 4192Mhz). Voltage has gone down a bit too in idle. 1.08v.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Just updated my Aorus X570 Elite to the new BIOS.

Getting 3593Mhz an all cores. (Max 4192Mhz). Voltage has gone down a bit too in idle. 1.08v.
    Which Cpu?

deceit wrote: »
    Which Cpu?

I'd say the mhz is close enough now not to matter?

MSI are slow with BIOS rollouts so I've a few weeks to wait for the ABBA on the tomohawk.
    I have to give Gigabyte credit - they've been fairly on the ball with firmware updates thus far.

For me I've seen up to 4392MHz on my 3700X, but only once or twice so far. Usually it's 4.2GHz to 4.3GHz I see either during games or just in the desktop.

While they shouldn't advertise a boost frequency that can't be hit I'm not too bothered as the performance is there. I guess some of the controversy could have been avoided if they shaved 100MHz off the advertised boost frequencies.

Also it's a September 30th release date for the 3950X it seems.
    https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081483/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-release-date

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

z0oT wrote: »
    I have to give Gigabyte credit - they've been fairly on the ball with firmware updates thus far.

For me I've seen up to 4392MHz on my 3700X, but only once or twice so far. Usually it's 4.2GHz to 4.3GHz I see either during games or just in the desktop.

While they shouldn't advertise a boost frequency that can't be hit I'm not too bothered as the performance is there. I guess some of the controversy could have been avoided if they shaved 100MHz off the advertised boost frequencies.

Also it's a September 30th release date for the 3950X it seems.
    https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081483/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-release-date

MSI are only on ABB beta at the moment. My 3600x has only ever boosted as high as 4250 and whilst I don't mind particularly I would just prefer it to do what it was stated to do.

• Advertisement

3rd Gen Threadripper to come in November & start at 24 cores, also the 3950X is pushed back to November.

https://www.techpowerup.com/259403/amd-confirms-ryzen-9-3950x-and-threadripper-3rd-generation-coming-in-november

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I unplugged my SATA SSD and magically my B450 Tomahawk is POSTing alot faster even though I plugged the SATA drive back in.

Annnnnnd back to the double posting process, and won't wake from sleep.

Not sure I'll be buying another MSI product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

z0oT wrote: »
    3rd Gen Threadripper to come in November & start at 24 cores, also the 3950X is pushed back to November.

https://www.techpowerup.com/259403/amd-confirms-ryzen-9-3950x-and-threadripper-3rd-generation-coming-in-november

I wouldn't take "premiers with" to mean "starting at".

I take their wording to mean that the first CPU launched will be 24C/48T, but I absolutely expect a 16/32 part, and possibly a 12/24 and 8/16 chip as well.

Serephucus wrote: »

I take their wording to mean that the first CPU launched will be 24C/48T, but I absolutely expect a 16/32 part, and possibly a 12/24 and 8/16 chip as well.

Why would they make thread ripper cpus with less threads than their high end consumer parts?

It'll be 24 and over only on Thread ripper. Anything lower makes no sense with the 3950x about to release on the AM4 socket.

Why would they make thread ripper cpus with less threads than their high end consumer parts?

It'll be 24 and over only on Thread ripper. Anything lower makes no sense with the 3950x about to release on the AM4 socket.

Because chipset. AMD has been moving towards a different design philosophy with their platforms, where the CPU core isn't the centre anymore. With Ryzen 3000 / Rome, the interconnect is the primary hub, that can reach out to RAM, storage, and CPU resources.

So, if someone doesn't need too much CPU, but wants a bunch of storage or networking, then a lower end 12 or 16-core CPU that can access 6-8 10GbE NICs, or 40GbE infiniband cards is a thing.

Its 50-50 on whether threadripper will have a 16 core. Its not needed as much anymore with not having the same latency issues anymore.
    Minimums:
    Threadripper 1 had an 8 core 1900x
    Threadripper 2 had a 12core 2920x
    Threadripper 3 should have a 16 core but it would suggest 3950x, this name is taken which would suggest they wont have a threadripper with that name.

I ended up buying a 3700x spure of the moment today since the 3950x was delayed. Seems a bit wasted putting it in my motherboard I bought but will do for the moment :P

You could be right about a 16 core variant, but 12 & 8 core variants I believe are very unlikely.

We saw a jump in price for the X570 boards primarily for the PCIe 4.0 speeds. The new Threadripper boards I'd predict will see a bigger jump versus the X399 platform given there's way more PCIe lanes.

With the premium that new the Threadripper platform is going to entail, an 8 core or 12 core variant just wouldn't be attractive versus a 3900X or 3700X certainly from a cost point of view. It sort of doesn't make sense that one would be willing to buy into the new platform, pay the hefty premium and be okay with just 8 cores. It's also probably why there was never a Threadripper 2900X.

That could be total rubbish though given I don't work for AMD. :P

Point taken. They may well only have a 16-core chip. Still, there are 2, possibly 3 different TR chipsets this time round. It's possible they'll release a 12-core to go with the more "budget" (using that term loosely) offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

And that's were my future build my come in :) I've not been this interested in a CPU launch in a long time. AMD, if they play it smart, could create some really interesting niche products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

deceit wrote: »
    Its 50-50 on whether threadripper will have a 16 core. Its not needed as much anymore with not having the same latency issues anymore.
    Minimums:
    Threadripper 1 had an 8 core 1900x
    Threadripper 2 had a 12core 2920x
    Threadripper 3 should have a 16 core but it would suggest 3950x, this name is taken which would suggest they wont have a threadripper with that name.

Now that AMD are gaining market share and production volume is becoming a problem due to demand, they might just limit new threadripper to 24 and above to segment the market a bit.

Desktop to 4-16, Workstation from 16-64, Server from 8 to 128 etc.
    Only major platform differences are workstation gives more lanes, Server gives more memory allocation.

I mean if you really need the PCI-ex lanes, Intel has nothing to compete within reason and AMD has EYPC 8 cores for Sale which do the exact same thing.

Point taken. They may well only have a 16-core chip. Still, there are 2, possibly 3 different TR chipsets this time round. It's possible they'll release a 12-core to go with the more "budget" (using that term loosely) offering.
    The multiple chipsets could be interesting. If I was to have a stab at a prediction (above rubbish disclaimer applying), I reckon the lower level chipset will be just like X399 - Quad channel memory, and a bunch of PCIe 4.0 lanes.

The top tier one, they could enable 8 channel memory support like Epyc, or even a multi socket system like Intel's Skulltrail platform way back in 2008.

It's nice to have a reason to be excited about CPU launches yet again. Were it not for AMD, Intel would probably still be selling 1500+ 10C/20T parts for HEDT, and 4C/8T parts on mainstream.
    I mean if you really need the PCI-ex lanes, Intel has nothing to compete within reason and AMD has EYPC 8 cores for Sale which do the exact same thing.
    The same is sort of true on the mainstream platform aswell. If you're on Z390, you can't run an M.2 drive & Graphics card directly from the CPU without the Graphics having to run at x8.

That's not the case on AM4 given the CPU has 24 lanes. There's little to no performance drop at x8, but it's still a limitation that you don't have if you go AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

MSI finally came up with a BIOS update for the B450M (non-Max) Mortar and I flashed it yesterday. Temps seem to be lower in 'idle' now, previously I was getting around 42-46C and now around 37-39C. Also seeing voltages of 1.1V, previously it was always either 0.98V or "full power". I haven't really tested if CPU boost speeds are higher, previously I was getting around 4275MHz instead of the advertised 4400MHz.

(3700X w/ stock cooler)

Idle temps are still high enough there. Must be that cooler. My 3600 idle's at 27C now on an Aorus X570.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Idle temps are still high enough there. Must be that cooler. My 3600 idle's at 27C now on an Aorus X570.

Mine is the same, not really complaining as I think that is normal for these chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Last bios for the B450 Gaming Plus was end of August, the wait goes on for us.

Ordered a 3600 and an asrock b450M pro-4,16gb of DDR 3200mhz cl16 ram from CCL. Free bios update service to make it zen 2 ready and it shipped by midday today and due to arrive Friday afternoon.

Absolutely delirah with me stirah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Looks like there's quite a lot of scalping going on on the 3900X - even with stock finally appearing in acceptable quantities, I see them listed well above the RRP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/asus/x570/cashback/x399/x470/b450/cpu/bundle/cashback/promo

Few retailers seem to be advertising this cashback promotion from end Sept to end of Oct. Worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

New ABBA bios for b450 gaming plus put at last. What's the situation with PBO these days, recommendation used to be to keep it off for better temps and voltages is that still the case on the newer bios versions?

Our 3600 is still ramping up and down with it on and Temps are in the mid 40s to 50s with the ****ty stock cooler. It hits 4.2 regularly so at least we haven't got that boost issue.

Advertisement