Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AES bins ripping me off?

• 02-09-2019 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I've been with this company for years and paid the annual €380 invoice every year. Then one day I was looking at their website and I see that the charge should be €306. So I ring them up and they advise that they have just "reduced their charge". "Why have I got an invoice from you for €380 then?". That must be an error they say. So I decide to switch to their pay by lift option where I pay a fee of €81 every 6 months and €7.50 every time the bin is emptied. As my bins are only half full for the fortnightly collection, I decide this would be a cheaper option for me. So after a few weeks, I keep getting messages that my "account is running low and I need to top up". So I then check their new customer portal (which is crap btw) and I see that I'm being charged double every time my bin is emptied, i.e. €7.50 x 2. I've queried this with them and they are ignoring me. Is there an ombudsman for the waste sector as they are blatantly ripping me off, first with the wrong annual charge and now charging me twice for the same collection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Are they not willing to refund the extra €7.50? If not, what is their reason for not doing so. If you don't get anywhere with them then you can always get advice from the CCPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Are they not willing to refund the extra €7.50? If not, what is their reason for not doing so. If you don't get anywhere with them then you can always get advice from the CCPC.

I guess I've made a nuisance of myself lately calling them out on invoicing me €380 for a bin service that is priced at €306 online. They won't respond to my emails or phone calls now but they charge me twice for every collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

D13exile wrote: »
    I guess I've made a nuisance of myself lately calling them out on invoicing me €380 for a bin service that is priced at €306 online.

You have done nothing wrong here and certainly haven't been a nuisance. They need to get this sorted for you as double charging you per lift can't continue. It's great that you have everything in written form too. I'd give them a call, explain the situation and give them a week to have it sorted. If not, then absolutely contact the CCPC and they will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Squiggle

This double charging is annoying and it's happened to me twice with the waste bin in the last month, but Iv'e been refunded after e mailing AES. The problem seems to arise when the bin is lifted a second time to shake out waste that is stuck to the bin and didn't empty out on the first lift, so it's recorded as emptying the bin twice even though there are only seconds between the lifts. They tell me IT are looking in to the problem but for me the only way of making sure I'm not being overcharged is to keep checking my balance after the bin has been emptied.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Squiggle wrote: »
    This double charging is annoying and it's happened to me twice with the waste bin in the last month, but Iv'e been refunded after e mailing AES. The problem seems to arise when the bin is lifted a second time to shake out waste that is stuck to the bin and didn't empty out on the first lift, so it's recorded as emptying the bin twice even though there are only seconds between the lifts. They tell me IT are looking in to the problem but for me the only way of making sure I'm not being overcharged is to keep checking my balance after the bin has been emptied.

Yeah, that's a problem with the software, it should ignore the second lift of that bin within a set timeframe.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement