Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

SfeD wrote: »
    I think the toughness and the scenery of the bike is the reason why people would travel to Ireland for racing.
    Even for the IM label reputation, I believe they need to keep tough races in their catalog for the Ironman status to mean something.. That's the way this race should be advertised, you are going to complete an epic course, it is very unlikely that you will get a PB but you will not forget that one.

I completley agree with this.

My first Ironman event, my first Olympic was earlier this Summer.

I spent 6 Months training for this because it was a tough course, and thats the reason I wanted to do it. I don't think I'd do it if it was a boring bike course.

Everybody I spoke to after had a similar opinion. I met one lady who said it was tougher than the bike course at Tenby, but while she found it really tough going thats why she travelled here.

I don't know what the break even point for the organizers is, but you would like to think there is an opportunity to build this into an iconic event on the Ironman calendar as the goto 70.3 race for athletes looking for a real challenge. The location is just superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I think the WTC could easily find a lake or river and a Council to spend the money on the race if they had to will to do so.
    I'm from Clare and somewhere like Killaloe would be perfect for an ironman race. You could have the swim in the river Shannon or Lough Derg and there is enough accommodation in East Clare and across the border in Tipp to host all the athletes.
    If the WTC went to Clare County Council and said hosting such an event would generate 8 million to the local economy, they'd jump at the chance of hosting one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 TriNRun

PWEI wrote: »
    I think the WTC could easily find a lake or river and a Council to spend the money on the race if they had to will to do so.
    I'm from Clare and somewhere like Killaloe would be perfect for an ironman race. You could have the swim in the river Shannon or Lough Derg and there is enough accommodation in East Clare and across the border in Tipp to host all the athletes.
    If the WTC went to Clare County Council and said hosting such an event would generate 8 million to the local economy, they'd jump at the chance of hosting one.

I agree, we surely can pull it off if the Germans can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

few gernal things
    in the last 5 years there was a bout 45 aquathons held in the see in dublin area i think only one of them had the swim cancelled. thats a far better record than lets say IM hamburg that had swim cancelled last year and almost this year.
    I have not enough info on IM cork swim location but the facts are here that the dublin swim location has a low cancelation chance . the people that complain are those people that complain aobut every race in the world that has an issue , what people forget is tri is a sport that will always hae a risk of cancelled swim ( carlow this year as a river, blue algis in lake is a common one in europe for lakes hamburg last year and almost this year ) heat in frankfurt in 2 of the last 4 years and 1 year very cold in frankurt so in the lat 4 years 1 race with conditons where people dot complai aobut.

why would wtc go to councils when thay have many many councills come to them ? would you try to cold sale when you are overrrun with applications )

this 8 milion you speak off is not such a clear case esepcially for 70.3 races that are not destination races. many councils descied its not worth for them as you can see galway did not want to pay the fee that was demanded.

i leave it there with saying that i think they dealt briliantly with the fog issue given all the time restrictions there is .

peter kern wrote: »
    few gernal things
    in the last 5 years there was a bout 45 aquathons held in the see in dublin area i think only one of them had the swim cancelled. thats a far better record than lets say IM hamburg that had swim cancelled last year and almost this year.
    I have not enough info on IM cork swim location but the facts are here that the dublin swim location has a low cancelation chance . the people that complain are those people that complain aobut every race in the world that has an issue , what people forget is tri is a sport that will always hae a risk of cancelled swim ( carlow this year as a river, blue algis in lake is a common one in europe for lakes hamburg last year and almost this year ) heat in frankfurt in 2 of the last 4 years and 1 year very cold in frankurt so in the lat 4 years 1 race with conditons where people dot complai aobut.

why would wtc go to councils when thay have many many councills come to them ? would you try to cold sale when you are overrrun with applications )

this 8 milion you speak off is not such a clear case esepcially for 70.3 races that are not destination races. many councils descied its not worth for them as you can see galway did not want to pay the fee that was demanded.

i leave it there with saying that i think they dealt briliantly with the fog issue given all the time restrictions there is .

in my opinion dublin would be the perfect location for a full im, but in august only, to provide the best weather window, your figures back that up, but it would be a non runner due to costs, my ongoing concern is that Youghal or Irish temperatures in June are 50-50 to get a full swim in, never mind the weather which can change so much more frequently on the sea that it can inland on a river or lake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

off current topic, does anyone know where to get results from as the results page on the IM site not working for me anyway?

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    off current topic, does anyone know where to get results from as the results page on the IM site not working for me anyway?

I'm looking the last few days, no sign of them, its poor form considering internet results are meant to last forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Johnnio13 wrote: »

Theyre working on the app if you go onto the tracker. Not ideal but better than nothing.

peter kern wrote: »
    few gernal things

I wasn't criticizing the sea swim in Dun Laoghaire or any sea swims in Dublin or any where else for that matter.
    As I said in an earlier post, I think Dun Laoghaire is a fantastic event and I wouldn't change a thing about it.
    And I agree, I think the way the dealt with the fog was brilliant and I for one was happy to get a swim in even if it was a shortened one.

I was merely pointing out that they could find a lake or river if they had wanted to for the full Ironman but they didn't.

I have no issue with a sea swim in Cobh either, however I do think they were short-sighted in having the full in June considering the average water temperature is 14c, increasing the chances of a shortened swim.
    They would have been much better off having it later in August when the average water temperature is 16c.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Was a well organized event, you race what’s in front of you on the day, no big deal with a shorter swim, the bike and run are the challenge on this course. I was goosed off the bike, found the run hard going on the legs. Next year will tell if Cork and DL are overkill combined but certainly a market for one of them. For the overseas participants logistics and location are important, Dublin makes sense from this perspective but that’s just my opinion. Well done everyone who got through it, solid achievement to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Chris871 wrote: »
    Theyre working on the app if you go onto the tracker. Not ideal but better than nothing.

My guess is they are trying to sort out the mess with two sets of results. The app doesnt take this into account and doesnt reflect the bunch that did the full swim vs those that did the shortened swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

My guess is they are trying to sort out the mess with two sets of results. The app doesnt take this into account and doesnt reflect the bunch that did the full swim vs those that did the shortened swim.

Hadn't thought of that. What impact does the two results have on AG slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

At the awards apparently people were told to submit an expression of interest in a slot and they would be taken to Globocorp I mean Ironman HQ for a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

If they did consider a full IM branded race in Dublin I’d love to see the DL course used. 2 loops of that bike course would be epic keep the same swim and run route.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    If they did consider a full IM branded race in Dublin I’d love to see the DL course used. 2 loops of that bike course would be epic keep the same swim and run route.

It would be epic alright but they'd never get permission to close those roads for that length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I wasn't criticizing the sea swim in Dun Laoghaire or any sea swims in Dublin or any where else for that matter.
    As I said in an earlier post, I think Dun Laoghaire is a fantastic event and I wouldn't change a thing about it.
    And I agree, I think the way the dealt with the fog was brilliant and I for one was happy to get a swim in even if it was a shortened one.

I was merely pointing out that they could find a lake or river if they had wanted to for the full Ironman but they didn't.

I have no issue with a sea swim in Cobh either, however I do think they were short-sighted in having the full in June considering the average water temperature is 14c, increasing the chances of a shortened swim.
    They would have been much better off having it later in August when the average water temperature is 16c.

Was Lough cutra swim for the middle distance race not cancelled due to fog 2 years ago. It's fog and **** happens. It's an outdoor sport. They dealth with it well given the situation.

I was one of the few who did the full swim and sighting was difficult. For the water safety personnel it was the right call. Could you imagine if a swimmer got into difficulity and they couldnt be seen.

Over all what a brilliant race. Of all the races I've done this one was right up there. Swim was perfect swim conditions (Obviously sighting a challenge). Bike was a proper bike course. Tough but what a course. Run was perfect for spectators.

Regarding results they made call to split results into 2 separate races. Podiums were given for both long swim and short swim athletes. Good call imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Just speculation from my end, but I just got the email about the Tour Series medal from Ironman. This is given to you if you complete an ironman and 70.3 in the one year in one country.

I notice Ireland isn't on the list for 2020. It was in last year's email. Does that put a question mark over Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I noticed the omission of Ireland in that email as well...had the same thoughts about DL

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

EDit wrote: »
    I noticed the omission of Ireland in that email as well...had the same thoughts about DL

If the events were swapped, DL would have a much bigger take up. No way was I going to do DL after Cork but if it was on before Cork, I'd definitely have used it as a training race.

If the events were swapped, DL would have a much bigger take up. No way was I going to do DL after Cork but if it was on before Cork, I'd definitely have used it as a training race.

Agreed, the other way around would be perfect

• Advertisement

efwren wrote: »
    My first 70.3 having only done my first Olympic in June. The bike course terrifies me. Well I know I will get through it but I am not a fast or powerful cyclist so it's the cut offs that terrify me.

Have done the loop part of the route from kilternan back to Kilternan 3 or 4 times and found it a tough slog . As mentioned here it's not the 2 or 3 steep ramps that get you it's the long gradual pulls that go on and on. Done most of my weekend long spins since March in the Wicklow hills so have quite a bit of climbing done. Currently on a 2 week family holiday so spins are a bit flatter at the moment but hoping I have enough climbing in the legs.

No specific time goal except to finish inside the cut off time

Both looking forward to the event and kind of terrified at the same time !

next year under threat it seems

Any news on next year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Any news on next year?

Usually takes a month or so for them to announce the date for the following year. Nothing was announced about this year until the end of September last year. Ironman usually do 3 year contracts so would be very surprising if it wasn't on.

Noteworthy that this time last year, the status for the 2019 event was at least “opening soon” and it may even have been open (Although I registered at end of Oct, looking back at emails, it seems I booked my hotel for this years race on Oct 2, 2018, and I assume I did that due to there being a defined race date). At the moment, the status for the event is still “closed”

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭S_D

Its not happening next year. Contract or not, its not going ahead. And that's 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

S_D wrote: »
    Its not happening next year. Contract or not, its not going ahead. And that's 100%

Do you mind me asking how you know that ? Was hoping to do it next year and will make other plans if it’s not going ahead .

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ribs1234

New 70.3 in Germany just announced on the same weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

If Ironman have pulled out of Dun Laoghaire I think several Tri Clubs in the Leinster area should get together and put one on in its place in Dun laoghaire. Dublin is big enough to have two triathlons in a season. It seems ludicrous that such a huge population isnt served by second race per year at least, that could take place on their doorstep. The local authorities would jump at the chance to have something to fill the void left by Ironman. It would bring people and money to the area, albeit a lesser draw than the Ironman brand but purely from a triathlon standpoint we need more races near Dublin.

TriFirst wrote: »
    If Ironman have pulled out of Dun Laoghaire I think several Tri Clubs in the Leinster area should get together and put one on in its place in Dun laoghaire. Dublin is big enough to have two triathlons in a season. It seems ludicrous that such a huge population isnt served by second race per year at least, that could take place on their doorstep. The local authorities would jump at the chance to have something to fill the void left by Ironman. It would bring people and money to the area, albeit a lesser draw than the Ironman brand but purely from a triathlon standpoint we need more races near Dublin.

I get what you are saying, but wouldn’t the costs of getting roads closed for the time necessary for a middle distance race in/around Dublin be prohibitive for most Tri Clubs?

TBH, after experiencing the unpleasant mix of bikes and cars during this years Wicklow 100, I don’t think I’d have any enthusiasm to do a middle distance race in Dublin without closed roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

EDit wrote: »
    I get what you are saying, but wouldn’t the costs of getting roads closed for the time necessary for a middle distance race in/around Dublin be prohibitive for most Tri Clubs?

TBH, after experiencing the unpleasant mix of bikes and cars during this years Wicklow 100, I don’t think I’d have any enthusiasm to do a middle distance race in Dublin without closed roads.

This is why I am suggesting multiple tri clubs collaborate to help make it happen plus if a sponsor could be tied in to carry the financial burden that would certainly help raise the profile. I would also look at having sprint and or Olympic distance at most to facilitate such road closures. A bike loop of 20km would be alot easier to accommodate than a 90km route. Im just throwing out suggestions. Ultimately its about a city with a population of 1.5 to 2 million people having more than one triathlon per year. Ironman picked Dun laoghaire because of access to sea, a flat run course and bike route away from the city centre. We should be utilising this natural amenity to facilitate another race in Ironman's absence.

Advertisement