Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orkney boat range. Advice needed.

• 28-08-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Guys, Can anyone give me some advice on the orkney boat range. I'm struggling to see the differences between models and which would suit my needs. The price range varies a lot between spinner, coastliner, fastliner and the 520, 590tt etc. Can anyone give me a run down on the differences and capabilities and if anybody owns one how they find them.

My main intention would be inland fishing on lough erne, but if any of these boats could do some light coastal fishing on calm days that would be a bonus. Also are there any navigation or skipper courses that would be worth taking for someone who plans to own a boat as a hobby.

thanks
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't advise you on boats I'm afraid, being a total sail-head, but Irish Sailing are the regulatory body (if that's the right term) for all things boating in Ireland, and you'll find all the information you need here https://www.sailing.ie/Training about courses and qualifications that would be highly advisable if you're going to spend time afloat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

First things first do a powerboat course this will give you the basics on running a boat. The difference in price of the boats is mainly down to size and if you want a cuddy, something like a spinner is only 13 foot easy to launch on your own but you won't be bring many of your mates out so a lot will depend on what type of boating you want to do "If you have kids I would go with a cuddy" :) lots of info on all their boats here. https://www.orkneyboats.com/range/traditional/coastliner-14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The numbered boats like the 590 and 520 are the newer models so they will be more expensive.

The named boats like the spinner, coastliner, strikeliner etc are the older models and will be cheaper.

Very broadly the coastliner was a 14 foot semi dispacement hull and the new equivalent is the 440. I think they are rated up to 20 hp.

The strikeliner was a 16.5 footer (again semi displacement hull) rated up to 30hp and was replaced by the 520.

The fastliner was a 19 footer and was updated to the 590tt. I think they still make the fastliner too.

The new hulls had some design tweaks to modernize them.

If you are looking to do lake fishing in an open style boat (ie for fly fishing) I would suggest a longliner might be worth a look. They are an older style displacement hull but are well regarded for stability and sea worthiness. They will suffice for lake and for calm coastal fishing.

if its for more general fishing or you want some shelter get a cuddy cabin one as Fergal suggested (also do the RYA coarse before you to to sea).

Out first sea boat was a strikeliner. Very happy with it and it served us well. They dont make the strikeliner any more which is a pity as it was their best craft IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

if you are going to sea go for the fastliner 19, thats if you are seriously taking up sea fishing

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I see there is one space available for this weekends powerboat course in Dun Laoghaire if your interested http://www.powerboatschool.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

nokiatom wrote: »
    if you are going to sea go for the fastliner 19, thats if you are seriously taking up sea fishing

The fastliners are big boats and not easily trailerable. Probably not legally towable on a B licence really. If you are not mooring permanently at sea I would keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Tow

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Irish Sailing are the regulatory body (if that's the right term) for all things boating in Ireland

They are no more a regulatory body than you or me.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

Tow wrote: »
    They are no more a regulatory body than you or me.
    Its the Irish Coastguard

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

Orkney Specs.

Self bailing is a huge advantage, if you can go up to that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Orbitaal

W1ll1s wrote: »
    Orkney Specs.

Self bailing is a huge advantage, if you can go up to that size.

Thanks for the info, have you ever seen anything about their capability for lakes for coastal fishing and which hulls are best suited to which.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

They are all capable respected boats right up to the Scottish Coastguard (see attached) when used within their own size and weather constraints.

Advertisement