Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My postcode has been gentrified... Please help

• 13-05-2019 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

My formally cool and cost effective postcode now is overrun by hipsters and bankers. Need to move.

Where are some nice places to live for mid thirties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Be happy your area isnt full of scumbags then.

Jesus some people are never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

You could try Mitcham. Having driven through it, though not for a few years, it didn't look in any danger of gentrification.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Erm, we moved to Manchester and live in a hipstery area there for half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Erm, we moved to Manchester and live in a hipstery area there for half the price!

Same. Apart from the hipstery area. Chorlton?

That's the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Be happy your area isnt full of scumbags then.

Jesus some people are never happy.

I'm renting and the rent has gone through the roof is the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

Thornton Heath or Mitcham should be right up your street

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

PH4T wrote: »
    I'm renting and the rent has gone through the roof is the issue!

Ya its the issue with renting.
    Moving to a ****ty area with cheaper rent always has the risk of being gentrified and rent getting higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've been reading another thread elsewhere on boards. I think you just need some travellers to move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

PH4T wrote: »

My formally cool and cost effective postcode now is overrun by hipsters and bankers. Need to move.

Formerly, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Ya its the issue with renting.
    Moving to a ****ty area with cheaper rent always has the risk of being gentrified and rent getting higher.

A few mates have moved to Tooting but it may get hit with the same thing.

Similarly, places that have Crossrail coming online like Woolwich, seem to be rising in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

A friend used to live in Tooting (not far from Mitcham I've seen mentioned earlier up the thread - have played GAA there) and it was nice back then. I was there a few times and it felt like a good place to be. There have been a few stabby stabby incidents of late iirc though.

We moved out into proper Essex a while ago now - not like Romford which didn't know where it was. I'd give anything for a wandering hipster. The new little tap room/brewery is a welcome addition. People are nice and all but good jayzis is it Brexit central. These people want Boris in the main job too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Whats all this emphasis on being south of the river anyway? Any of the young Irish I meet seem to filling up Clapham Tooting etc.
    Whats wrong with Highbury, Highgate, Holloway, Kentish Town Camden etc?

Edgware wrote: »
    Whats all this emphasis on being south of the river anyway? Any of the young Irish I meet seem to filling up Clapham Tooting etc.

I lived in Archway for 5 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Edgware wrote: »

Wood Green, Harringay, Tottenham too, though Tottenham itself - while holding out okay - is fast becoming the latest victim.

Having lived there for six years I can say that the best way to judge an area is by its corner shops/off licences. If chain mini-supermarkets predominate over the likes of Indian/Turkish shops/off licences this is reflective of the middle-class residents, and the area is going to be more expensive but also duller.

Same goes for pubs - if the area still has a functioning working class pub or two then rents aren't going to be insane. I'd go as far as saying, being terribly subjective of course, that these kinds of places also tend to have a greater community feel (if such a thing is possible in London).

Advertisement