Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using contactless on Tube

• 25-04-2019 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I'm heading to London tomorrow and am wondering if it's cheaper to top up an Oyster card and possibly not use all the credit or to use my Visa debit as I go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I think you'll pay conversion rates/fees for each use on your debit card. You got a Revolut or anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

theteal wrote: »
    I think you'll pay conversion rates/fees for each use on your debit card. You got a Revolut or anything similar?

The tube will charge you once at the end of each day for all your trips in that day. So you won't pay the fee for each use, you will just pay it once per day.

Check your bank charges to see if it's worth it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I would say definitely Oyster card. If you use the tube a few times each day, there is a cap applied (depending on the zones travelled to) and you will no longer be charged after you reach the capped amount. I do not know if there is a similar cap for debit cards, and as theteal said you will more than likely pay extra for conversion rates. You can get a refund for the remaining balance on your Oyster card at the machines if it's more than £10 remaining (I think). All that info is on the Transport For London website.

If you're going for more than a week, I have heard that the travel card is a better option than Oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The tube will charge you once at the end of each day for all your trips in that day. So you won't pay the fee for each use, you will just pay it once per day.

I thought it was live charging until you hit the cap - but on reflection I have no clue where/how I came to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

theteal wrote: »
    I thought it was live charging until you hit the cap - but on reflection I have no clue where/how I came to that conclusion.

I just checked my bank account to confirm. Yes it's one charge per day.

The spending cap applies to both debit,credit and oyster cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

Thank you. If it's only one charge per day it might be worth it. I hate having £8 or so unused on the card at the end. Only going for 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Always use my card I am London quite a bit 20 times yearly

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

dzer2 wrote: »
    Always use my card I am London quite a bit 20 times yearly

Which card? Oyster or bank?

Advertisement