Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selfbuilding

• 26-10-2018 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

What size house could i build with €200 ,000

Comments

Abcd88 wrote: »

Depends on such a wide range of factors that its not possible to say.

For example, site selection, drainage, sewerage, water and electricity supply, access.

You'll note the absence of a house on that list because you need to answer those and other questions before you know how much of your capital will be swallowed up before you can even think about how big the house will be.

Other factors are construction method, heating, insulation, layout, height, windows, etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Moved to construction & planning

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Out of that can you clarify what you have to buy, for example :

Site
    Professional services
    Planning costs
    Contributions
    Utility connections

Then you have the actual build cost. Not much left for a big build depending on the site cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depending on the location- it may very well be cheaper to buy a pre-existing dwelling- than build a new unit. We don't really have enough information to give you any suggestions or to answer the question- who big a bang are you going to get for your buck.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The OP is in Galway.
    I’m also in Galway and in the early stages of aiming for a self build. 200k is not going to go far. Even if you have a site you are looking at 140-160 per sq/ft (and that’s very general throw a dart at the wall numbers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It would be cheaper to buy a small 2 or 3 bed house ,
    with a large garden , then build a large extension on to it.
    This would be cheaper in terms of planning costs and utility costs .
    An existing house will have connections to water ,sewer pipes ,
    it will have also have an esb connection.
    Theres plenty of houses for sale in rural area,s for 100k approx .

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/galway/property-for-sale?maxprice=150000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not a lot
    https://www.scsi.ie/advice/house_rebuilding_calculator

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement