Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Nice looking sheep rancher. What are u crossing them with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Were the ewes clipped fairly late?....don't seem to have much wool on them....great strong wide sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Were the ewes clipped fairly late?....don't seem to have much wool on them....great strong wide sheep.

Always shear crossbreds end of august, it's easier to organise the shearing when they haven't lambs with them, Have to put Clik on them in june, so it costs that bit more.
    We shear the pedigrees in May, but they're weaned by then too

Sea, the ewes are texel/lleyn cross, I find it a good combination

rancher wrote: »
    Always shear crossbreds end of august, it's easier to organise the shearing when they haven't lambs with them, Have to put Clik on them in june, so it costs that bit more.
    We shear the pedigrees in May, but they're weaned by then too

Sea, the ewes are texel/lleyn cross, I find it a good combination

Oh I meant what ram are u crossing them with for the season ahead

sea12 wrote: »
    Oh I meant what ram are u crossing them with for the season ahead

Sorry, they're out with vendeen rams,

• Advertisement

Sorry, they're out with vendeen rams,

Did u ever cross them with suffolks. Would image ud have lovely lambs out of them.

sea12 wrote: »
    Did u ever cross them with suffolks. Would image ud have lovely lambs out of them.

Vendeens are very easy lambed and quick to get up and that's worth a lot with the numbers here.
    Also don't like the ''black at both ends'' scenario with suffolks.

Vendeens are very easy lambed and quick to get up and that's worth a lot with the numbers here.
    Also don't like the ''black at both ends'' scenario with suffolks.

Yea know what u mean. Got rid of 2 suffolks this year and replaced them with Charolais. Have one dug golf left but this is his last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Anyone here shear ewe lambs before mating?

Ram into his last fortnight with ewe lambs here and not so happy with the numbers tipped thus far.
    They were sheared mid-october, a bit later than planned. Most are off a Belclare ram and they can have big awkward fleeces at lambing if not sheared. Could it be that the cold wet conditions since Oct have slowed down oestrus onset with some of them?
    Appear to be thriving well and all wormed and mineral dosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭razor8

Neddyusa wrote: »

Ram into his last fortnight with ewe lambs here and not so happy with the numbers tipped thus far.
    They were sheared mid-october, a bit later than planned. Most are off a Belclare ram and they can have big awkward fleeces at lambing if not sheared. Could it be that the cold wet conditions since Oct have slowed down oestrus onset with some of them?

dont shear here every year but sheared 50 ewe lambs end of september, first week only 5 tipped, 19 after 3 weeks and only 7 left saturday which was 3 weeks, always find its the second to third week that they take off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

razor8 wrote: »
    dont shear here every year but sheared 50 ewe lambs end of september, first week only 5 tipped, 19 after 3 weeks and only 7 left saturday which was 3 weeks, always find its the second to third week that they take off

Sound for that Razor - yeah I expected the slow start alright, this week bein week three should see a bit more action then hopefully!

Do you use ram effect to get them cycling or is it just straight in with rams?

got a ram done this year but didnt go according to plan, got infection, should be ok for next year though. so was straight in with ram

Neddyusa wrote: »

Fine big sheep anyway, should have no problem going in lamb.
    We always put a ram other side of the fence for a fortnight before putting together'
    Always shear them too, huge advantage at lambing.

We always put a ram other side of the fence for a fortnight before putting together'

I only leave them in a paddock beside the ewes for for48 hours for the ram effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Pic of the Lleyn lamb ram with the ewes. He looked bigger before I put him in with them :)
    He is in now coming up to 2 weeks, and he has only tipped a few it seems. So maybe the Hampshire did a lot better job that I thought in the first 2 weeks... We'll see come scanning time I guess... :confused: There are a few that don't look to have any raddle on em, which worries me a small bit... But it could be the yellow raddle I was using first, which was very faint on some of em...
    281058.jpg

Pic of the lawnmowers, not exactly hard at work :)
    281059.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I'd kill for land as good as that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

Pic of the Lleyn lamb ram with the ewes. He looked bigger before I put him in with them :)
    He is in now coming up to 2 weeks, and he has only tipped a few it seems. So maybe the Hampshire did a lot better job that I thought in the first 2 weeks... We'll see come scanning time I guess... :confused: There are a few that don't look to have any raddle on em, which worries me a small bit... But it could be the yellow raddle I was using first, which was very faint on some of em...
    281058.jpg

281059.jpg

Love the hampshires don't see them very often anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

Another couple of purchases this year, or as my old man says my waste of money he's probably right :)

Cran wrote: »
    Another couple of purchases this year, or as my old man says my waste of money he's probably right :)

Charolais I assume Cran? Nice looking, although The last one looks particularly wicked, even for a Charolais ;) :P

281058.jpg

281059.jpg

Lawn is a job I hate with a passion, are the Hampshire’s ewes or rams ?

if you had a ram lamb of your own about I wouldn’t hesitate to let him in, a lamb is better than none come the spring even if quality not great

• Advertisement

nice lambs cran

Lawn is a job I hate with a passion, are the Hampshire’s ewes or rams ?

They're ewes, they'll be off for a tour of the factory now soon.
    if you had a ram lamb of your own about I wouldn’t hesitate to let him in, a lamb is better than none come the spring even if quality not great

The Hampshire lad had around 40 out of 47 tipped in the first 16 days, I swapped in the Lleyn then. He has tipped two so far.
    He'll be in 2 weeks now soon, and will be taken out at the weekend.

I have some ram lambs left, but we'll leave the Lleyn have his chance. will see how things are come Saturday (am away for the week this week)

They're ewes, they'll be off for a tour of the factory now soon.

they look in good nick , why are ya they for the road?

The Hampshire lad had around 40 out of 47 tipped in the first 16 days, I swapped in the Lleyn then. He has tipped two so far.
    He'll be in 2 weeks now soon, and will be taken out at the weekend.

I have some ram lambs left, but we'll leave the Lleyn have his chance. will see how things are come Saturday (am away for the week this week)

they could be all covered by then, a few days can make a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Love the hampshires don't see them very often anymore

I remember about 20 years ago, I took a notion to buy a Hampshire Ram. Bought one from a very nice aristocratic lady from somewhere near Naas. A Mrs Horsburg, I think. Fine big old country house, as they say round here, "the remains of auld decency" and brilliant land all around. I had a landrover pickup with a canvas rear cover at the time , so just popped him in that. Having went as far as Naas, went on to visit a neighbour who was in Our Ladies hospital in Harolds Cross. Came out from visiting her to find a crowd round the back of the jeep, most of whom seemed to never have seen an animal bigger than a terrier before. Some didn't believe it was a sheep.............

they could be all covered by then, a few days can make a difference

Yeah, hopefully.

The ewes are going cos I have enough ewe lambs kept already. Some are very nice, and some are only ok.
    I am kinda waiting til I have a load ready (albeit a load for me is only 8 or 10) :)

You based in Cavan razor?

I remember about 20 years ago, I took a notion to buy a Hampshire Ram. Bought one from a very nice aristocratic lady from somewhere near Naas. A Mrs Horsburg, I think. Fine big old country house, as they say round here, "the remains of auld decency" and brilliant land all around. I had a landrover pickup with a canvas rear cover, so just popped him in that. Having went as far as Naas, went on to visit a neighbour who was in Our Ladies hospital in Harolds Cross. Came out from visiting her to find a crowd round the back of the jeep, most of whom seemed to never have seen an animal bigger than a terrier before. Some didn't believe it was a sheep.............

Tis only my first year with a Hampshire. How did you find them Iver?

Found them good. Always finished without meal and quick to finish. Could get too fat pretty quick if you weren't careful I found. Only got back into sheep 2 years ago, but wouldn't rule one out again, when I get things settled down.

Yeah, hopefully.

The ewes are going cos I have enough ewe lambs kept already. Some are very nice, and some are only ok.
    I am kinda waiting til I have a load ready (albeit a load for me is only 8 or 10) :)

You based in Cavan razor?

excuse me........... Leitrim born and bred!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Sorry :o

Hanging around Cavan for the week, so was being nosey to see where you were ;)

Advertisement