Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calling out fellow cyclists for illegal or dangerous behavior

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've got almost nothing of that with the kids in the cargo bike, though I try to ignore people in cars, unless they try to get my attention a few times, in which case, I'll assume it might be important (it never is). I've had a handful of people come up and try to engage me in conversation about helmets and hiviz. Frequenters of the Helmet and Hiviz Megathreads can imagine how that goes for them.

Yeah, the trailer attracted a lot of criticism. I think it was the fact that they were behind me and not in my line of sight. This was nine years ago though, attitudes have changed.

I stuck helmets on the kids for optics. I wear a helmet myself. Didn't want to be the dad cycling along with a helmet on with the kids in the trailer with no helmets!!

The cycling to school uniform :P

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

But you, an adult, can encourage your child to cycle on the footpath, an act which all cyclists are barred from doing, based on the wording of the law. So maybe you, the adult, theoretically, can be fined, or whatever, for encouraging your child to break the law. Children can still break the law, even if they can't be penalised themselves for it.

I guess that, de facto, children are allowed to cycle on footpaths, since it's unofficially indulged, but not de jure.

(I don't have any legal education or training. This is quite possibly all horse feathers.)

The offence for cycling on a footpath is a purely summary matter; district court generally. Conspiracy/aiding/abetting offences are indicatable offences. They carry penalties of imprisonment of 5yrs or more. Needless to say cycling on a footpath isn’t indictable. So any adult who lets / encourages their kids to cycle on footpaths isn’t committing any offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, the trailer attracted a lot of criticism. I think it was the fact that they were behind me and not in my line of sight. This was nine years ago though, attitudes have changed.

I stuck helmets on the kids for optics. I wear a helmet myself. Didn't want to be the dad cycling along with a helmet on with the kids in the trailer with no helmets!!

For sure; I'm pretty much live-and-let-live. Not having a go at anyone who does or doesn't.

People who come up to me to enthuse about the cargo bike, which refreshingly are far more numerous than the scolds, often go on to contrast it with "those things hanging off the back with flags". I usually tell them trailers are fine, that I have one myself, though the kids are way too old for it now. I know my own family think I'm a bit odd for the cargo bike thing, but they thought the trailer was insane. It's not a viewpoint I share at all, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

RobbieMD wrote: »
    The offence for cycling on a footpath is a purely summary matter; district court generally. Conspiracy/aiding/abetting offences are indicatable offences. They carry penalties of imprisonment of 5yrs or more. Needless to say cycling on a footpath isn’t indictable. So any adult who lets / encourages their kids to cycle on footpaths isn’t committing any offence.

That's quite interesting; I wasn't aware of the different categories. I looked them up and they're quite well covered here:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/classification_of_crimes_in_criminal_cases.html

I don't know if encouraging a child to do something that is explicitly forbidden by law but very minor requires you to be prosecuted under conspiracy or aiding and abetting. There have been cases of parents being interviewed by the police and visited by social services for letting their child wait alone at a bus stop in England, or walking home from the park alone, in Maryland, neither of which was actually illegal in those jurisdictions, as far as I know. I think there were a few cases of parents being charged (unsuccessfully) with neglect for those sort of pseudo-offences.

I guess it's all extremely unlikely, because those cases were motivated more by disapproval of the parents than the legality of what they were letting the children do, and it's hard to envision anyone in the police or social services disapproving more of a parent letting a child cycle on the footpath rather than the alternative, which presumably is the road.

• Advertisement

That's quite interesting; I wasn't aware of the different categories. I looked them up and they're quite well covered here:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/classification_of_crimes_in_criminal_cases.html

I don't know if encouraging a child to do something that is explicitly forbidden by law but very minor requires you to be prosecuted under conspiracy or aiding and abetting. There have been cases of parents being interviewed by the police and visited by social services for letting their child wait alone at a bus stop in England, or walking home from the park alone, in Maryland, neither of which was actually illegal in those jurisdictions, as far as I know. I think there were a few cases of parents being charged (unsuccessfully) with neglect for those sort of pseudo-offences.

I guess it's all extremely unlikely, because those cases were motivated more by disapproval of the parents than the legality of what they were letting the children do, and it's hard to envision anyone in the police or social services disapproving more of a parent letting a child cycle on the footpath rather than the alternative, which presumably is the road.

In Ireland a child is a child until they reach 18yrs. However there is no specific age set in legislation that defines when a child may for example walk home from school alone or wait at a bus stop, walk through a park alone. Tulsa have no set guidelines on what age they may be left alone either.
    The test that seems to apply is subjective. The individual maturity of the child, the circumstances involved; Day time v night time etc

Our offence for neglect is cruelty to children. It would be a vast stretch for any Garda or social worker to manipulate cycling on a footpath into cruelty to children
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/24/section/246/enacted/en/html#sec246

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's also worth noting that (AFAIK) there's no allowance in irish law for postal delivery staff to be able to cycle on the footpath.
    i do know from talking to a couple of gardai (one of whom is a cyclist) that they regard the likes of policing these laws to be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

i do know from talking to a couple of gardai (one of whom is a cyclist) that they regard the likes of policing these laws to be a waste of time.

It might distract them from the massive burden of ignoring all the other laws they couldn't be bothered policing.

EDIT: It's so nice to cycle up through Clonskeagh in the morning and see all of the cargo bikes heading into town. If that traffic is your only alternative then I'm sure it makes a very compelling option. Even public transport is stuck as there is no bus lanes until Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Regarding U/A children cycling on footpaths, if you go to some housing estates around the city and country you'll find plenty of them on motorbike scramblers racing around on footpaths and green areas, not to mention doing wheelies on the main road each and every day of the week...
    I'd rather see the Gardai pursue those than chase the postman delivering his letters by cycling on the footpath....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'd rather see the Gardai pursue those than chase the postman delivering his letters by cycling on the footpath....
    1. the gardai need to be told that kids are tearing around on mini-motos or whatever. I recall a ~13YO kid from a neighbouring estate used to come onto the green area in our estate on a small quad bike. Often he would have a passenger on it and usually one or both of them would have no helmet. I used to always ring the gardai about it and hey would always promptly send a car over to deal with it.
    However, ultimately it should be the parents responsibility - a) not to buy them and b) that if they do buy one, the kid isn't using them without adult supervision.
    Let's not automatically blame the gardai because some people make crap parents!
    2. how many postmen are you aware of that have been chased by the gardai for riding their bike on the path?

• Advertisement

1. the gardai need to be told that kids are tearing around on mini-motos or whatever. I recall a ~13YO kid from a neighbouring estate used to come onto the green area in our estate on a small quad bike. Often he would have a passenger on it and usually one or both of them would have no helmet. I used to always ring the gardai about it and hey would always promptly send a car over to deal with it.
    However, ultimately it should be the parents responsibility - a) not to buy them and b) that if they do buy one, the kid isn't using them without adult supervision.
    Let's not automatically blame the gardai because some people make crap parents!

The Gardai do know that these kids are tearing around estates on scramblers, but from the sounds of it you must live in a very nice estate! And after all it is the Gardai's duty to ensure public safety and the law is upheld.
    2. how many postmen are you aware of that have been chased by the gardai for riding their bike on the path?

You've missed the point entirely! I was responding to the statement made by a previous poster in relation to Gardai enforcing all the applicable laws so read back before responding?
    it's also worth noting that (AFAIK) there's no allowance in irish law for postal delivery staff to be able to cycle on the footpath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Suppose you can mention it but if they get uppity about it, let natural selection take its' course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

By that logic, I should be able to drive my car on the footpath provided I do it slowly.

It's commonly done on Griffith Ave where there's a very wide footpath behind a row of trees. I've seen drivers use this to bypass traffic queues to get from their houses to the traffic light 100m down the road...

The Gardai do know that these kids are tearing around estates on scramblers, but from the sounds of it you must live in a very nice estate! And after all it is the Gardai's duty to ensure public safety and the law is upheld.
    Gardai have been told to not engage scramblers because it they chase them and an accident happens they become responsible.

Gardai have been told to not engage scramblers because it they chase them and an accident happens they become responsible.

Some tactical contact with Gardai vehicles and these scramblers may solve this issue like they have in parts of the UK..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Next we will have the GRA saying it is dangerous for their members to tackle crime in case they or the public get hurt. Anything to avoid having effective policing the minor stuff.

Some tactical contact with Gardai vehicles and these scramblers may solve this issue like they have in parts of the UK..

You're talking about children TBF.

You're talking about children TBF.

Not all are under the legal age of criminal responsibility, and most are big enough to cause serious injury to the public and property damage also, i'm sure the Gardai know how to engage tactically with them, so no need to get all dramatic about it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Next we will have the GRA saying it is dangerous for their members to tackle crime in case they or the public get hurt. Anything to avoid having effective policing the minor stuff.
    it's relatively common practice - AFAIK - for police forces to not engage in high speed car chases due to the danger it can expose innocent bystanders too. i'm not sure what protocols the gardai have in relation to this, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

ted1 wrote: »
    .. he got distracted by your shouting and took his eye if the road to talk to you.

He was cycling straight into the path of cars and wasn't paying attention to the traffic. It was a t junction and the lights had gone green for the traffic to join the road..he didn't know the junction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,306 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cdaly_ wrote: »
    It's commonly done on Griffith Ave where there's a very wide footpath behind a row of trees. I've seen drivers use this to bypass traffic queues to get from their houses to the traffic light 100m down the road...

It's also commonly done by all the cars, vans and trucks we see parked on pavements all the time, assuming that they haven't been dropped in by helicopter.

You've missed the point entirely! I was responding to the statement made by a previous poster in relation to Gardai enforcing all the applicable laws so read back before responding?

But the public’s safety is at more risk with Gardai pursuing lads on scramblers. They don’t just pull over and stop. They’ll take risks that are unacceptable. There is no Garda policy on pursuing scramblers or even cars for that matter.

There are very few garda drivers trained to do tactical stops and they’re ERU members generally stopping gunmen heading to shoot someone. Maybe in the next 20yrs Ireland will follow the MET and develop a policy.

As it stands any Garda member who rams a scrambler can expect to be prosecuted for dangerous driving causing serious bodily harm. The blue lights and sirens offer zero protection. I genuinely don’t know why any Garda uses lights and sirens in any circumstance, except when stationary at a traffic collision maybe.

What a lot of people don’t appreciate is all our emergency services drive emergency services vehicles on their own private licence. The recent Garda prosecuted in Clondalkin for dangerous driving causing death should’ve been the wake up call for all Gardai to stop driving on response.

There are very few garda drivers trained to do tactical stops and they’re ERU members generally stopping gunmen heading to shoot someone. Maybe in the next 20yrs Ireland will follow the MET and develop a policy.
    Do Gardai have stinger devices?

Yeah but not allowed for scramblers or motorcycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Even when they carry them, they still need special permission from their superior before they can use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

it's relatively common practice - AFAIK - for police forces to not engage in high speed car chases due to the danger it can expose innocent bystanders too. i'm not sure what protocols the gardai have in relation to this, though.

I had a feeling someone would come back with that and it's very valid. I mean as a general reason for not tackling even the minor stuff for fear they may get injured. On the front line, risk is part of the job.

In the UK they have had to adopt tactical contact to thwart thefts using mopeds and also other vehicle intercepts. Moped enabled theft has since halved. They seem way ahead in terms of tactical response in the UK. Their scale helps but it is more than that. Technology wise they are way ahead. Meanwhile, technology or progressive solutions and laws do not seem to work effectively here....

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

I for one would support enshrining in law the right of the Gardaí to use their cars to ram scrambler-mounted scrotes, and to hell with whatever might happen to said scrotes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I for one would support enshrining in law the right of the Gardaí to use their cars to ram scrambler-mounted scrotes, and to hell with whatever might happen to said scrotes.
    ...and the innocent pedestrian pushing a pram is just acceptable collateral damage?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

MOD NOTE: Some Off topic posts deleted.
    Back on topic now please, any further OT posts will be deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

What a lot of people don’t appreciate is all our emergency services drive emergency services vehicles on their own private licence. The recent Garda prosecuted in Clondalkin for dangerous driving causing death should’ve been the wake up call for all Gardai to stop driving on response.

Recent Guardian long read about the dangers of police chases, and how the risks vastly outweigh the rewards:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jul/02/deaths-uk-police-pursuits-chases

Advertisement