Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Rogan as a comedian?

• 25-05-2019 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

I enjoy Joe Rogan’s podcasts and find him to be an interesting person and a very good presenter. I find him to be quite a terrible comedian though. His “Strange Times” video on Netflix is terrible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Awful comedian, and I say this as a big fan of the podcasts. His jokes are generic bro stories and shouting, real dumb yank rubbish, but the bar for what passes for comedy now is unbearably low. There's actually a lot of comedians worse than he is, he has them on his podcasts and it could be a 2 hour+ recording and I wouldn't laugh once.

He's a much better interviewer/commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

weemcd wrote: »
    Awful comedian, and I say this as a big fan of the podcasts. His jokes are generic bro stories and shouting, real dumb yank rubbish, but the bar for what passes for comedy now is unbearably low. There's actually a lot of comedians worse than he is, he has them on his podcasts and it could be a 2 hour+ recording and I wouldn't laugh once.

Fcuk amazing how literally anybody could be a comedian in America, with a bit of hollering at the audience and seeming enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

weemcd wrote: »

Joey Diaz is dreadful, Ari Shafir too. A lot of mediocre comics associate with Rogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Joey Diaz is dreadful, Ari Shafir too. A lot of mediocre comics associate with Rogan.

I’ve noticed Diaz and Rogan are excellent in podcasts, when they are speaking naturally. I find their stand up comedy to be brutal though, I think I’d walk out of a Rogan stand up gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

He was good in Newsradio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

totally agree.. love the podcast .. his standup doesn't do it for me. maybe he appeals much more to americans? never hear of him doing any shows outside america

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

He tries to copy Sam Kinison's style too much. Just shouts everything. He's not totally unfunny though, he's quite witty sometimes on the podcast. He just doesn't have what it takes to coherently craft a set or engage properly with an audience.

As you say the bar for American comedy is so incredibly low that he manages to get by.

I do enjoy Diaz's stories though. But that's all he is, a storyteller. If he hadn't have had such a crazy life then he wouldn't be much of a comedian either.

My mate (girl) keeps telling me joe rogan is just oprah for men!... and im ok with that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Joe stand up is really for a American's the humour just doesn't translate this side of the water ,
    Don't get me started on Brendan Schaub, how have his friends not told him look your pretty awful , its cringe worthy he is so so bad

Oh man ...Schaub brings nothing to a conversation ! he just agrees with everything Rogan says, its actually comical until it becomes annoying!

what about eddie bravo!! that dude is impossible to talk to .. hey eddie here's the scientific evidence of why you're wrong ..Eddie " ya man but that evidence came from brainwashed scientists that have been injected with alien dna and work from an underground bunker beneath the earths crust"

• Advertisement

blueb wrote: »
    Oh man ...Schaub brings nothing to a conversation ! he just agrees with everything Rogan says, its actually comical until it becomes annoying!

what about eddie bravo!! that dude is impossible to talk to .. hey eddie here's the scientific evidence of why you're wrong ..Eddie " ya man but that evidence came from brainwashed scientists that have been injected with alien dna and work from an underground bunker beneath the earths crust"

I don't mind Schaub or Eddie on the podcast,

It's Schaub as a comic that I find mental ,

i have never seen any of his standup! i cant believe he has a routine!!

i see joe has a podcast out with reggie watts this week... that guys a legend, his standup is very entertaining

blueb wrote: »
    i have never seen any of his standup! i cant believe he has a routine!!

i see joe has a podcast out with reggie watts this week... that guys a legend, his standup is very entertaining

He has a HBO SPEICAL which is basically pay preview,
    Its a huge deal to get a HBO special obviously
    HBO thought it would do well off the back of his podcast's and UFC fame , so they normally a comedians best works , IT actually unwatchable there are ZERO laughs and I like the guy ,

searching for it now.. just for the cringe factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

His stand-up sucks IMO.

Advertisement