Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow watch 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Felixdhc wrote:
    Wet here in nth Dublin, mixture of sleet / hail / rain this morning

Thanks.

I forgot to mention in my last report, around 1:30 last night I saw a few flashes of lightening. Was about 20 miles away to the NE of Kilkenny city. Nothing really after that though. Must have been going west.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

heres a chart from the land of leprecauns just thought i would throw it in for a laugh

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3481.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

5.8C :eek: Wasn't expecting it to get this high, though have a bit of sunshine.

Thaw on this morning in the hills. Snowline receding.

and it is breezy

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

heres a chart from the land of leprecauns just thought i would throw it in for a laugh

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3481.gif

What would happen if this chart became a reality?

it would be very cold and very stormy. but that map is a good 15 days away. there wil be snow in hell before that happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LFCFan wrote:
    What would happen if this chart became a reality?
    I'm no expert LFCFan but I think you'd be talkin about a very long cold snap with plenty of snowfall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's stopped snowing up here in Blessington but the place is covered. To top it off I have no heating in my house at the moment :<

Mothman wrote:
    5.8C :eek: Wasn't expecting it to get this high, though have a bit of sunshine.

Thaw on this morning in the hills. Snowline receding.

and it is breezy

Yup almost 6c here too-we are warmer than out over the Irish sea now.

I'm thinking of renaming this thread Rain watch
    I'm not downgrading my snow alert yet untill I see what happens tonight as there will be colder air over us during tomorrow and thursday but I have my congratulatory telegram for Met ÉIREANN drafted for their caution regarding the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Getting pretty pesimistic now, looks like we're in for another disappointment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Its now just a normal cool, showery day, nothing special, once again yet another big dissapointment this winter. I cant see the rest of the week being much different, today was meant to be a high risk day and look how it turned out.

• Advertisement

Getting pretty pesimistic now, looks like we're in for another disappointment.

No need to *yet*actually
    For a start air tomorrow *should* be colder-remember that the feed is relentless and theres only so much warming the Irish sea can do befor saying-ah feck it :p
    This is the fax chart from the UKMO on Friday.

Theres currently a trail of systems, back near the source of our air and they are all headed in this direction.
    They have the capability to trap cold air enroute in the same way as the weather system that gave us snow in the East yesterday did.
    Thats chart shows them eventually tracking into Ireland and its inside a reliable time frame ie 3 days away.

Whats causing these high temps??

I'm losing faith in Thursday now rapidly. But the charts seem to show the cold spell will be around for a while to come

irish1 wrote:
    Whats causing these high temps??

Its very simple this is late february not january, the Irish sea is warm and the sun is out.
    Secondly our feed is coming from the right place its just getting mellowed by the time it gets here, but then we have only had it from there one day yet and thats not long enough to pull in air from siberia-allow 3 days for that.
    The air over the Irish sea is not cold enough for a large amount of convection *yet* but try tomorrow and thursday and if the UKMO thinking is right friday as well.
    Even temps over a large part of Eastern England are at 3 and 4 c and thats upwind of us so its little wonder that coastal parts of Ireland are at 5 or 6 c

In theory the Irish sea air flow should be down a couple of degree's tomorrow, as should the East of the UK if not then snow here is only going to be an inland and high ground event.

It simply a case of waiting untill tomorrow and then we have a clearer idea as to whether to give the fat lady a call-indications are that she's not needed though.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

What's the story with the weathercheck.net website? It goes on about a 7 day freeze etc but on the weekly forcast they have highs of 11 and lows of 8 tomorrow and not a sign of snow anywhere????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts (E)

The sun has been out for a while now. Snow gone, reasonably clear skies and it is generally drying up. Not as cold as yesterday.
    If it stays dry it should be ok for the drive up to Dub airport early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

It's just like a typical February day out there - cloudy, windy and a bit on the chilly side. A few light rain showers and the odd hail or snow pellet thrown in to hurt your face and ears. Not even a hint of snow. And with road temps into double figures in many parts of the country, if there is some sort of a miracle and snow actually does fall today, the hot roads will probably melt the snow and evaporate it ;) before it even gets to the ground! Another let down, me thinks.
    I keep getting told that the cold air is coming the following day. However, the major forecasters are forecasting less cold air by Friday (not that the air is even particularly cold right now) so even if the cold air does get to us by tomorrow, we will be lucky to get 2 and a half day freeze instead of the original 7 - 10 day freeze promised. And another thing, I would bet large sums of money that if we do get a "deluge" of snow over the coming days, it'll have to fall at night for any hope of it sticking and secondly, it'll all be gone by the following afternoon.
    BTW, this all applies to Dublin, allegedly going to one of the worst hit in the original "Big Freeze" forecasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well all i'll say is tonights looking interesting for north Leinster,
    i cant take this pessimistic **** coming from people when were
    only just getting going ;)

why is there no one from cork posting? according to met eireann its been snowing there for the past four hours.

5 degrees in shannon and its clouding over.

as nina simone once sang "i think its going to rain today"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I have a job for you when im in school

Keep an eye on developments to the east of Scotland,
    Aberdeen area ;) This should start push Southwest
    be arriving in the east (wicklow - Antrim) around midnight
    and getting a kick on..

http://www.metoffice.com/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Will do Matt

• Advertisement

I keep getting told that the cold air is coming the following day. However, the major forecasters are forecasting less cold air by Friday (not that the air is even particularly cold right now) so even if the cold air does get to us by tomorrow, we will be lucky to get 2 and a half day freeze instead of the original 7 - 10 day freeze promised.
    Hang on a second where did I promise a 7 day freeze? 7 day cold snap maybe but not a freeze.
    Where were temps yesterday up untill lunchtime in the East -very low single figures.
    I have to say I wasnt expecting the athmospheric warm up that has occurred in the last 24 hrs but then its only a slight warm up.
    I wouldnt call 5c mild or a typical february day... its well below normal.
    It *will* be colder tomorrow-There *are* features with our name on them they *will* be interesting.
    Having said that, even in the UK, the significant snowfalls are being restricted to the high ground with smallish amounts at sea level.

It's an unknown to be honest when a mild form of weather will return but models outside of reliability range ie beyond 5 days are virtually all pointing to even colder pools of air heading this way.
    They may change but colder pools of air if they keep coming even if it warms up in between spells have less and progressively lesser work to do to produce the goods for you.

By the way the lates UKMO output for tomorrow suggests a max of 2c over a lot of the UK and 3 or 4 c over Eastern Ireland-those are maxima so that *is* pointing to an interesting wenesday and thursday-not to mention friday.

Billy the snow in cork is at cork airport 800ft above sea level

Earthman, I wasn't talking about you when I mentioned the "7 day freeze". It was a certain other chap ;) - You know who!! No offence intended

It's this kind of scare mongering which is really letting the likes of myself and others down:

"heavy snow showers
    to eastern coasts, these will continue through
    the Monday night leaving 5-7cm's of snow
    across the eastern coast and a few cm's likely
    across the midlands also. Tuesday will be
    another extremely cold day with maxima of
    no more than 3-4c. Heavy snow showers will
    again afect eastern coasts leaving further
    accumalations of snow"

Guess where I got that from?!? I don't see 2"-3" of snow out my window - In fact it's bone dry. Haven't had one heavy snow shower so far today, in fact I haven't seen any snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I think the problem is, that we all get a little over-excited when faced with the prospect of snow. Common sense goes out the window and we start believing what we want to believe, leading to the disappointment we are experiencing today.

Cynical as it may sound, the best way to avoid disappointment is to lower your expectations ;)

It was a certain other chap ;) - You know who!!

Lol he tends to get excited God love him :D and allows his heart to rule his forecasts
    Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday will be bitterly cold
    with a Siberian easterly flow covering the country. Moderate
    and at time heavy snow showers will move ashore from the
    irish sea through the days giving further accumulations on
    an already snowpacked ground. By this time upto 20cm's of
    snow could be lying in some eastern areas.
    (c) weathercheck :p

Temperature has dropped to about 3.5 here since the last time I looked by the way which is encouraging given that it is partly cloudy with some sun.
    Strong wind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Earthman wrote:
    Lol he tends to get excited God love him :D and allows his heart to rule his forecasts

Forecast from weathercheck

loadsofsnow.jpg

13762_Toby-Jones180.jpg
    Weathercheck says precipitation on the way

Hey to be fair to weathercheck he predcited yesterday a lot better than met Eireann.

I'd rather take the weather from him than met Eireann any day.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2397595&postcount=218

and hes not the only one to let his heart take over :D

but personally I'd remove everything from jd's post onwards. but thats up to earthman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2397595&postcount=218

and hes not the only one to let his heart take over :D

but personally I'd remove everything from jd's post onwards. but thats up to earthman

ah 'tis a joke..
    :)

• Advertisement

In fairness Billy wenesday *will* be colder and if there are snow showers temperatures *will* be 0 or below for the duration of any prolonged shower.

I didnt say there Tuesday was going to be snowy, but as you know there has been snow today and I have to say, its quite likely that there will be snow tomorrow as the air should be colder-even the BBC are dropping the temps everywhere by 2 or 3 degree's tomorrow including Ireland-have a look at their latest tv forecast, its viewable on their website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement