Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clifden Flooding

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sadly, moving a house can be a very difficult operation, I feel very sorry for these folks, I'd imagine it's extremely difficult to sort water issues, after the fact, concrete is like a bloody sponge for the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

The news clip where your man lost his drive but house still standing, what a great clip that was, a positive chap if I ever saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Well if those "climate experts" at met eireann are so smart why was there not much warning of this because if there was I didnt hear much about it..was there even a red warning you could clearly see on the forecast that evening that there was very heavy rain coming...no point warning us about climate change all year long every year...if you can even warn us about the weather thats only hours away...what a joke

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Well if those "climate experts" at met eireann are so smart why was there not much warning of this because if there was I didnt hear much about it..was there even a red warning you could clearly see on the forecast that evening that there was very heavy rain coming...no point warning us about climate change if you can even warn us about the weather thats only hours away...what a joke

climate is not weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    climate is not weather!

And equally weather is not climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Why bother even doing a weather forecast if it is wrong every time this is actually some extreme weather

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Why bother even doing a weather forecast if it is wrong every time this is actually some extreme weather

I've noticed that it does seem to be often more wrong (the few times it is wrong) for this part of the country than most others. A lot of this could be down to the poor coverage of weather data from the region that is fed into the models, or possibly because the forecasters may not have a fullest understanding of the little nuances and complexities of the climate of Connacht. I don't know, but I do recall just one instance last August (2019) where warnings were issued for I think the NE region, yet we got absolutely hammered with intense, unforecast rain with flash floods galore shortly after that particular warning was issued.

New Moon

Hooter23 wrote:

'All models are wrong, some are just useful'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The one thing that got me was after the 6pm news that evening Joanna never even mentioned what happened in Clifden or how much rain fell despite it being headline news all day, found it very disappointing that they did not say how it happened that so much rain fell.

Advertisement