Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Francis - 24th/25th August 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Meanwhile guess who saw fit to issue his own warning map while quoting Met Éireann's warnings?

attachment.php?attachmentidd=1598287628

Your Friend Cathal?
    Please share! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Call the epa.

I had a chat with him just after i posted earlier and he seen sense and hasnt been out since.
    Lucky he only has a small tractor and tank so he spread very little.
    He just didn't keep up to date with the forecast but that doesn't excuse that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I keep hearing over the last day or two that this current depression is 'unusually deep' which will bring 'unusually strong winds for the time of year' etc. But are such depressions really that rare in August? Here is another example of a deep depression from all the way back in August 1979, which had disastrous consequences off our south coast:

CIVgJAp.png

From: https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/j.1477-8696.1997.tb06319.x

Even last August (earlier in the month I think) I remember getting caught out in the middle of nowhere as a similar shaped, if not as strong, system moved up from pretty much the same direction. Such depressions are unusual in August, but I really wonder how unusual they really are.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Very quiet in here considering that we could see some exceptional rainfall in the next 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The wind potential has backtracked a little, nothing more than a gale now. Also eventhough the ppn is heavy it doesn't stay around too long.
    So for me nothing of note other than wet and windy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Light rain here near Tralee, light SE'ly.

15,4C, DP 13C, Bar 1004.9 hPa Falling Rapidly

Outer bands making there way in now even though the storm is still well off the coast, the center wont begin to cross the Clare / Galway coast until early tomorrow morning about 06.00 or 07.00, not a very fast moving system.

klSxjtF.png?1

S1Mrl2S.jpg

vshy4ox.gif

eWyIxc3.png

anim_lnl7.gif

aromehd-25-32-0_wgh8.png

2332_crh2.png

8895_jfe2.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Barely a drop failing in the city.
    Wind forecasts don't look pretty strong for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I keep hearing over the last day or two that this current depression is 'unusually deep' which will bring 'unusually strong winds for the time of year' etc. But are such depressions really that rare in August? Here is another example of a deep depression from all the way back in August 1979, which had disastrous consequences off our south coast:

CIVgJAp.png

From: https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/j.1477-8696.1997.tb06319.x

Even last August (earlier in the month I think) I remember getting caught out in the middle of nowhere as a similar shaped, if not as strong, system moved up from pretty much the same direction. Such depressions are unusual in August, but I really wonder how unusual they really are.

They're not that rare, given that many originate as ex-tropical systems. Given that heat can be most established over the continent at this time it can lead to a jigging-up of the jetstream, generating these types of systems. They don't occur every year alright, but I would say several times a decade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy enough all the same especially Munster from early morning until later in the afternoon. , certainly a Yellow warning , even high end in places . Some models like the UKMO and ICON showing the SE and E being very windy from tomorrow afternoon until later in the evening.

F1h5UDB.gif

anim_edo6.gif

anim_byz6.gif

Model rainfall predictions

YaIa52y.png

yIghu3u.png

9YZRJE1.png

3ZGaZip.png

• Advertisement

As an ignoramus, I thought that the tighter the isobars, the higher the wind?
    So how come that the core wind section of the storm looks like having similarly tightly packed isobars as in other areas?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    As an ignoramus, I thought that the tighter the isobars, the higher the wind?
    So how come that the core wind section of the storm looks like having similarly tightly packed isobars as in other areas?

In the pressure animation above? The gradient is tighter along the south in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford and Wicklow

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very windy or stormy conditions are expected on Tuesday as Storm Francis crosses Ireland. Southwest winds veering westerly, reaching mean speeds of 55 to 65km/h, will bring widespread gusts of 90 to 110km/h (and possibly higher in exposed areas).

Valid: 06:00 Tuesday 25/08/2020 to 19:00 Tuesday 25/08/2020

Issued: 19:20 Monday 24/08/2020

In the pressure animation above? The gradient is tighter along the south in that.

Not just tonight, but generally.

I can see tight isobars, but the core area doesn't seem to my eye to be any tighter.
    Just wondering if there is another factor at play that I am missing.

As I said, ignoramus.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not just tonight, but generally.

I can see tight isobars, but the core area doesn't seem to my eye to be any tighter.
    Just wondering if there is another factor at play that I am missing.

As I said, ignoramus.

Remember that for a perfectly symmetrical circular storm with an equal gradient all the way around it, the wind will always be stronger to the right of its direction of motion. So if it's moving northeastwards the strongest winds will be in the southeastern quadrant. This is because the system's motion over the ground is added to the gradient wind (a kind of a Doppler effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats a lot of friggin rain. Wouldn't be shocked to see a few bog bursts and minor road bridges taken out as we saw in Mayo and Donegal during poor summers of the past decade.

As for thunderstorms : In my opinion ECM showing meager CAPE levels but a lot of low and deep level shear with decent lapse rates. Looks like with a combination of frontal forcing Orographic lift in the SW, high Theta E , buckets of shear then storms might break out in the SW after midnight and spreading up the country .

Might get a few pics of funnels or a report of some weak tornadic damage.

2LD6TsY.gif

1dDkCfo.gif

Lk9L0YQ.png

HJFI2FF.gif

Latest analysis. 991 hPa and on track.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082418_000.png

This was ex-Hurricane Charley making its approach back exactly 34 years ago today.

524161.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Why did the UK met office name it before Met Éireann?

Rain steadily getting heavier, 3mm so far .

A fair height in the approaching cloud , back edge of the warm front I think ?

P6xswws.png

v2et1NB.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rain getting quite heavy now in Cork City

Steady moderate rain here near Tralee, 7mm so far

998.3 hPa Falling Rapidly

IFf51FC.gif

pression2_uk_opm0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

In the 80s it would be a called a wet and windy night!!
    Naming hurricanes in the US makes sense, but here its just ridiculous.
    Don't get me wrong we get bad storms like last week but the word stormy will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy rain in Cork City, not sure for how long though as I was out with some friends but so far no flooding and not excessively heavy but was told it was heavier a while ago and died down a bit. Definitely a wet rotten night though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Raining away here , Laois , gets heavier then eases off again .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

thick wet heavy rain in cork. not much of a wind at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Torrential in East Cork now

Rains definitely increased in intensity since my last post, heavy now

Just coming up to 10mm now here near Tralee.

• Advertisement

First gust just hit the house too and trees blowing

Advertisement