Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Overnight the ECM has increased its wind speeds again, track slightly more N I would think . Fast moving Storm filling as it goes but very powerful nevertheless.

2SuCCYA.png

ef2q1IK.png

CMveq0E.png

7hFJ1q6.png

EDSHaRO.png

MCFBSHL.png

hxHc9jR.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very close to a red warning for kerry . Parts of Cork in red warning territory also.

As bad a storm I have seen for the SW in a long time. This could be as bad as Darwin in the SW especially Kerry.

For Kerry looks like widespread gusting to 120 km/h , gusting to 130 km/h in coastal areas and higher ground and possibly gusting 140 km/h on exposed parts of the coast.At this stage would be expecting ECM to at least hold these speeds as they have been rising over the last few runs.

Cork looks a bit less but widespread gusting to 100km/h and up to 120 km/h in parts for a time. Coasts in W Cork up to 130 km/h and probably up to about 110 km/h along the rest of the coast with a few exposed parts gusting perhaps to 120 km/h.

HtrLFWo.png

lOntVf0.png

ngg5sM1.png

MK4F8XR.png

q2CCuIb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Official warnings haven’t been issued yet. I reckon Orange for Cork and Kerry and yellow for the rest of Munster plus Co. Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

No prizes for guessing who's heading down that way for a funeral tomorrow morning
    We will head back straight after the church now I think

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Warning up now (on ME site)....

Wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick
    Becoming stormy on Friday evening and overnight as Storm Hannah moves in. Southerly winds, later veering northwesterly will reach mean speeds of 65-80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h.

Be prepared for possible disruption and power outages

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 16:00 to Saturday 27 April 2019 05:00

Issued: Thursday 25 April 2019 09:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Orange - Wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Becoming stormy on Friday evening and overnight as Storm Hannah moves in. Southerly winds, later veering northwesterly will reach mean speeds of 65-80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h. 

Be prepared for possible disruption and power outages

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 16:00 to Saturday 27 April 2019 05:00

Issued: Thursday 25 April 2019 09:00

Updated: Thursday 25 April 2019 09:00

Status: YellowWind warning for Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Donegal, Tipperary and Waterford

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Donegal, Tipperary and Waterford

Becoming very windy on Friday night and for a time on Saturday morning. Southerly winds will veer northwesterly and reach mean speeds of 50-65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h.

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 23:00 to Saturday 27 April 2019 09:00

Issued: Thursday 25 April 2019 10:00

Updated: Thursday 25 April 2019 10:00

ARPEGE 0Z slightly further N than the ECM bringing very strong winds into parts of Clare also and stronger winds in general across the Southern half of the country. It is showing large parts of Kerry gusting to 130 km/h and coastal fringes to 140 km/h.

anim_nok3.gif

anim_mdb5.gif

arpegeuk-52-55-0_rxt1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

I'm supposed to be flying out from Shannon tomorrow night around 9pm, I wonder if this will affect flights and lead to cancellations?

ICON 6Z showing quite similar track to the ECM but higher wind speeds in general over a wider area. Prone to overdoing it a bit but will the ECM increase the wind speeds again ?

anim_cyn4.gif

anim_dsg6.gif

iconeu_uk1-52-50-0_qot7.png

dxNyh4D.png

oqwagHm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Icon would be particularly severe for far southwest.
    Models firming up on an orange alert.
    Do they continue to name storms this far into Spring??

Well there was Storm Hector in mid-June last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

This could cause a lot of damage to trees which have recently come into leaf, driving on rural roads would be unwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Subscribing to the thread, had planned to cycle Galway-Drogheda leaving Galway around 7am Saturday morning. Not sure if a good idea if cross-wind gusts to "110 to 130 km/h". Looks like it would be pretty cold as well?...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

People in the west and south should prepare and have powerbanks charged, phones/tablets/laptops charged before the starm comes in case of power outages. Move loose things outdoors that could blow away indoors or have them tied down. Just normal preparation.
    Basically get everything that needs done that can be completed done so when the storm comes, one can relax more from having prepared.
    Remember if there is a storm raging - don't take unnecessary journeys - it led to people dying in previous big storms, or being in a hurry to cut fallen trees if it is still windy, we lost people from that too.
    Be patient and all will be ok. Life is short enough, so don't make it shorter.

A bit of common sense with preparation and patience and dare I say it, it will all blow over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well there was Storm Hector in mid-June last year.

That Bas***d stole my brand new tent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

positron wrote: »
    Subscribing to the thread, had planned to cycle Galway-Drogheda leaving Galway around 7am Saturday morning. Not sure if a good idea if cross-wind gusts to "110 to 130 km/h". Looks like it would be pretty cold as well?...

I have experience of cycling long distances in all sorts of conditions. You should keep a close eye on the wind direction and speeds and the rain over hours before your cycle.

This 'storm' could change direction and go more north/south in which case you cycle could be OK, or it may be very dangerous with cross winds.

Tailwinds from wind coming from a fixed direction is fine, but this is a deep low depression and wind will likely come from different directions as it passes over the country...see charts...
    Be care and "dont take un-necessary journeys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Emory Flat Belt

I'm on the side of a mountain 175m asl in the southwest facing the Atlantic. This should be fun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm on the side of a mountain 175m asl in the southwest facing the Atlantic. This should be fun.

Could you livestream it?

EURO 4 a bit lower wind speeds than the ECM and the other models. Possible Jet streak from this storm as well perhaps.

n1S0f2F.gif

UmIRuqv.png

KR0g8x6.png

OumrkUP.png

tBaa7NY.png

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1121392098278875136

Information to follow was included by Siobhán Ryan on Thursday 25th April 2019

Storm Hannah was named this morning with orange level winds expected to impact upon counties Clare, Limerick, Cork and Kerry from Friday afternoon (16:00) until late Friday night (05:00). A yellow wind has also been issued for the rest of Munster, Connacht and southern Leinster, with this warning valid until 09:00 on Saturday. The situation and warnings will be under constant review and will be amended if required.

The developing storm system currently lies east of Newfoundland, with rapid cyclogenesis expected to occur over the next 24 hours as it tracks eastwards across the Atlantic. Storm Hannah will be positioned off-shore roughly 200km west of Slyne Head by 16:00 on Friday with the closed storm system forecast to track directly inland across the southern portion of Ireland on Friday evening/night. After that it will move away towards Britain and slowly fill, losing most of its strength on Saturday morning.

The public are advised to be prepared for the anticipated conditions, especially those living or travelling to the southwest with some disruption and power outages likely. There is an increased risk of impacts to life and property during times of severe weather with flying debris of particular concern during any wind event. Especially after the recent warm spell, people are advised to take in their BBQ or loose garden furniture.

With the trees now in full leaf, there in an increased threat tree damage and possible felling too. Other impacts may include travel disruption with large and dangerous waves expected to crash into southwest coasts. Whilst Storm Hannah will primarily be a wind event, spells of heavy rain will be wrapped up around eye of the storm too.

The last of the heavy rain will clear the north and east during Saturday morning and winds will abate. However, brisk northwest winds will persist into Saturday afternoon with a mix of sunshine and scattered showers following.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some great detail there from met eireann and practical advice also,take in bbq etc. Credit where credit due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I'm cycling from Dublin to Tullamore at 10:30 am Saturday , how am i looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't think the Eagle did Met Eireann any favours on News at One on RTE Radio, I like his cool calm style but saying the storm is in the premiership of storms etc only plays into the perception that warnings are over the top and people ignore them, also if you compare his comments with their very good Meteorologist's Commentary it just causes confusion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

peteeeed wrote: »
    I'm cycling from Dublin to Tullamore at 10:30 am Saturday , how am i looking?

Depends...what are you wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I am in a similar situation.

I really fear these storms now, after a bedroom window blew in some years back. No chance of sleep, the roar in the mountains is so loud.

600 ft ASL - MacGillycuddy Reeks

GFS tracking further N and looking a bit stronger on this run.

anim_ffm8.gif

anim_oxk9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭pad199207

That is a seriously tight gradient into Kerry Meteorite!

pad199207 wrote: »
    That is a seriously tight gradient into Kerry Meteorite!

It sure is, going to get a right kick from this I reckon, my poor trees ! Power outages could be big a big issue. All eyes on the next runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Villain wrote: »
    I don't think the Eagle did Met Eireann any favours on News at One on RTE Radio, I like his cool calm style but saying the storm is in the premiership of storms etc only plays into the perception that warnings are over the top and people ignore them, also if you compare his comments with their very good Meteorologist's Commentary it just causes confusion.

Completely agree I could not believe what I was hearing on the news, it differed completely from their website he was so laid back the interview was even cut short because it seemed like a non story

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Keeping an eye on here, on the south west coast, a bit nervous at mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

One thing that might reduce the damage is air temps are a lot higher now than in winter, cold air is a lot denser and heavier/damaging than warm air.
    So while it may be windy it may not be as damaging as colder winter storms.

Advertisement